Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 02:37 PM

666 posts, read 515,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Disagree on all points, and this 'full of pine trees' is a total joke. Coming from Birmingham, you know better. And concrete jungle in Atlanta compared to Dallas is so over the top, I don't even know where to begin.
I said Atlanta destroyed more ecology than Dallas in it's development into what it is today. Why? Because dallas didn't mow down forests - there was less ecology to destroy. They just laid concrete on grass or whatever. So it's hard to say that Dallas is less ecologically sensitive. There were far fewer trees to begin with.

I am from Birmingham and it kinda erks me when people talk about its natural beauty. I'm like, no beauty starts somewhere in North AL, GA, into TN,and really gets pretty in North Carolina. Growing up in Alabama, I HATE pine trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 02:52 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
Case in point about Atlanta's airport. Btw, I love ATL don't get me wrong.

Right now if you look at google maps..

Alpharetta to Hartsfield - 47 minutes (through downtown traffic)
Plano to DFW - 26 minutes (on gigatic freeways)

Both areas are arguably close to the heart of the fastest suburban growth..

Now lets look at the "uptowns" to closest airports:

Buckhead to Hartsfield - 26 minutes
Uptown to Love Field - 14 minutes

That's just right now. It doesn't take into account the headache of having to deal with Hartsfield and not have a smaller airport option.

North ATL needs a Southwest hub!
That's what the train is for. And I have been schlepping my way down there for years with luggage, as does just about everyone I know. I don't see the issue.

What is this headache of having to deal with Hartsfield you mention? If it's size, DFW is no walk in the park either, but I much prefer ATL.

And there will never in our lifetimes be a Northside Airport here, we don't really need one. That ship sailed years ago, the NIMBY's have spoken loud and clear.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I said Atlanta destroyed more ecology than Dallas in it's development into what it is today. Why? Because dallas didn't mow down forests - there was less ecology to destroy. They just laid concrete on grass or whatever. So it's hard to say that Dallas is less ecologically sensitive. There were far fewer trees to begin with.

I am from Birmingham and it kinda erks me when people talk about its natural beauty. I'm like, no beauty starts somewhere in North AL, GA, into TN,and really gets pretty in North Carolina. Growing up in Alabama, I HATE pine trees.
You are really reaching with this theory that Atlanta is more concrete than Dallas. All one has to do is compare the views between 285 and 635, it's that simple.

And again with the pine trees. What do you call all of the beautiful fall foliage every year? It sure ain't pine trees.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:00 PM

666 posts, read 515,527 times
Quote:
That's what the train is for. And I have been schlepping my way down there for years with luggage, as does just about everyone I know. I don't see the issue.

What is this headache of having to deal with Hartsfield you mention? If it's size, DFW is no walk in the park either, but I much prefer ATL.

And there will never in our lifetimes be a Northside Airport here, we don't really need one. That ship sailed years ago, the NIMBY's have spoken loud and clear.
DFW is no walk in the park I agree. But that's where Love Field comes in. It's one of the best parts of Dallas. Having that so close and so easy in/easy out is a blessing for those who live in the Uptown or very nice parts of town.

Good for you for using MARTA, i wish public transportation was more popular, but most people I know who live in these sprawling burbs want to avoid MARTA at all costs.

Unless you live walking distance to the MARTA station, it adds a healthy complexity to getting to/from the airport.

Not to mention, there's a good chance you're sitting in someones literal **** on that nice seat.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
DFW is no walk in the park I agree. But that's where Love Field comes in. It's one of the best parts of Dallas. Having that so close and so easy in/easy out is a blessing for those who live in the Uptown or very nice parts of town.

Good for you for using MARTA, i wish public transportation was more popular, but most people I know who live in these sprawling burbs want to avoid MARTA at all costs.

Unless you live walking distance to the MARTA station, it adds a healthy complexity to getting to/from the airport.

Not to mention, there's a good chance you're sitting in someones literal **** on that nice seat.
I live 1.4 miles from the Brookhaven Station, and have been a MARTA commuter for years until going virtual. I can assure you that I have never seen anything gross on a seat, nor am I afraid of public transportation like most people you know.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:37 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
You are really reaching with this theory that Atlanta is more concrete than Dallas. All one has to do is compare the views between 285 and 635, it's that simple.

And again with the pine trees. What do you call all of the beautiful fall foliage every year? It sure ain't pine trees.
But you also have people who complain that fall foliage only lasts a couple weeks and after that it's months of brown. With pine trees you don't have that problem, they're evergreens.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
But you also have people who complain that fall foliage only lasts a couple weeks and after that it's months of brown. With pine trees you don't have that problem, they're evergreens.
Exactly, but my point is there is no shortage of many varieties of hardwood trees here at all. Far from it.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Exactly, but my point is there is no shortage of many varieties of hardwood trees here at all. Far from it.
Hmm. I've been to Atlanta both in the winter and summer, and I think Atlanta has just the right mix of trees to please everyone who doesn't need palm trees. For those who want some greenery year round, you have plenty of pine trees. For those who admire fall foliage and leafless trees, you have deciduous trees.

Old 09-02-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Hmm. I've been to Atlanta both in the winter and summer, and I think Atlanta has just the right mix of trees to please everyone who doesn't need palm trees. For those who want some greenery year round, you have plenty of pine trees. For those who admire fall foliage and leafless trees, you have deciduous trees.
I agree. Many people for some reason like to claim it's nothing but pine trees, I have no idea why. It's about evenly distributed.

Old 09-02-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I agree. Many people for some reason like to claim it's nothing but pine trees, I have no idea why. It's about evenly distributed.
Even on the Gulf Coast, which is predominantly evergreens, you still have a fair amount of trees losing their leaves. Even in Southern California, too, you have live oaks, but you also have sycamores which in fact lose their leaves every winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City