Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Logical Pairings of Major Northeastern Cities
Boston/NYC and Philadelphia/D.C. 14 17.72%
Boston/Philadelphia and NYC/D.C. 26 32.91%
Boston/D.C. and Philadelphia/NYC 39 49.37%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 06:38 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,470,165 times

Advertisements

What do you think is the most logical pairing of the major four Northeastern US cities: Boston, NYC, Philadelphia and D.C.

Some suggested criteria: history, built environment, significance, population (size and demographics), downtowns, culture, sports, geography, etc.

Brief examples of why you may choose any of these pairings:

Boston/NYC and Philadelphia/D.C. : Two more northern vs two more southern; baseball rivals vs capital and former capital of USA.

Boston/Philadelphia and NYC/D.C. : Two most historic vs two most influential

Boston/D.C. and NYC/Philadelphia : Two cleanest, most Eurpoean-esque cities vs two dirtiest, more bustling city centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 07:05 AM

9,420 posts, read 9,417,856 times
The most natural pairing is New York and Philadelphia, they are basically siblings that grew up together since America started, and share many similarities in every category.

Another nice pairing would be Boston and Philadelphia. Both very old and the most historic cities with a large medical and educational presence.

I would not want any association with DC, and I feel bad giving DC to Boston, just my preference

Old 07-16-2019, 07:08 AM

14,102 posts, read 15,137,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The most natural pairing is New York and Philadelphia, they are basically siblings that grew up together since America started, and share many similarities in every category.

Another nice pairing would be Boston and Philadelphia. Both very old and the most historic cities with a large medical and educational presence.

I would not want any association with DC, and I feel bad giving DC to Boston, just my preference
Agree New York and Philly make the most sense but I think Boston is far to different from DC.

DC seems like the odd duck out.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:36 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,413,601 times
I don't see how you can possibly pair them since they're so dissimilar. DC is like nothing else in the country. Ditto NYC. Philly has a vibrant Center City but most of the place is a ghetto that is never going to gentrify. Boston is gentrifying so quickly that there won't be poor people outside of the housing projects in another 25 to 30 years.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't see how you can possibly pair them since they're so dissimilar. DC is like nothing else in the country. Ditto NYC. Philly has a vibrant Center City but most of the place is a ghetto that is never going to gentrify. Boston is gentrifying so quickly that there won't be poor people outside of the housing projects in another 25 to 30 years.
I think that is part of the fun. Really, all four are distinct cities and have enough dissimilarities to push an argument on why they are not a pairing. This is not like trying to pair San Diego, LA, Portland and Seattle. It is quite subjective and you have to make some leaps.

I am personally surprised to see Boston/NYC and Philadelphia/D.C. having any votes, as they are the least likely pairing from my perspective.

Edit: Also, I invite you to read up a bit more re: Philadelphia’s shift in the last decade or two. Much of the city may still have urban decay and crime, however every year the city gets a little safer and neighborhoods are really turning around. There are many appealing neighborhoods outside of Center City, and I don’t think speculating that most of Philadelphia “is never going to gentrify” is fair or accurate. Digression over; I just had to clear that up.

Last edited by Muinteoir; 07-16-2019 at 08:11 AM..

Old 07-16-2019, 07:54 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,537,237 times
Quote:
The most natural pairing is New York and Philadelphia, they are basically siblings that grew up together since America started, and share many similarities in every category
I actually heard that the two were quite similar in size until the building of the Erie Canal, and that Philadelphia could easily have become the more dominant city, had it not been built.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:29 AM

9,420 posts, read 9,417,856 times
Quote:
You really love taking shots at Philadelphia...
You realize there are many desirable neighborhoods outside of Center City? To make a claim that areas "will never gentrify" is beyond silly. Tell that to the several neighborhoods that went from ghettos to among the most desirable in a short period of time.

Philadelphia is behind the other 3 in terms of improvement/investment/gentrification, but its hardly a wasteland. Every time I visit the city, I am impressed with the positive changes. Heck, the first time I went to Fishtown (bordering South Kensington) 10 years ago I was leery of walking to my friends house at night, now its like an entirely different neighborhood.

My advice to you is to leave the false sweeping generalizations to yourself. I am not asking you to like Philadelphia, but you clearly have a negative bias toward the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I actually heard that the two were quite similar in size until the building of the Erie Canal, and that Philadelphia could easily have become the more dominant city, had it not been built.
For a period of time, Philadelphia was the epicenter of commerce and culture in the new world, 2nd to London, there were several factors that led to the shift, New York as a trade and immigration hub and the Erie Canal is one of the biggest catalysts.

Also, less known, the Quaker mentality among many didn't help Philadelphia (IMO).

Old 07-16-2019, 08:35 AM

7,303 posts, read 10,655,064 times
Quote:
What you say about Philly is patently false, no matter how much you invoke the word "ghetto." People said much the same about DC and New York not too many decades ago.

For those with actual vision and a lack of classism in their blood, Philly is a treasure trove of opportunity.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:

Also, less known, the Quaker mentality among many didn't help Philadelphia (IMO).
Nice post. I agree the Quaker simplicity did not help Philadelphia keep up with other East Coast cities throughout the 20th century. However its Quaker heritage also meant it was a (the?) capital of the abolitionist movement, something residents can really take pride in. I personally resonate with many Quaker values, even if the gentlemen’s agreement held the city back.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:41 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,176 posts, read 7,640,922 times
In 2019, I'll go with NYC/DC and Bos/PHL.

NYC and DC although not throughout their entire histories, currently have the stronger more important relationship. Outside of maybe the sports rivalries of NY and Boston, the relationship is clear between probably the two most important cities in the country NYC and DC. The most trains, planes and buses going back and forth, the two largest employment centers in the corridor, the two wealthiest metro areas, and percentage wise most white collar professionals reside in NY and DC metros. Regarding relevance in media or tv/movies these two are depicted the most, although Philly and Boston both are often made relevant.

Immigration into the NY and DC metros at least in 2019 mirrors, one another pretty well, with the exception of a few Caribbean islands. The rest of the world migrates in similar percentages to DC or NY.

Boston and Philly while different, have a lot in common whether it's sports enthusiasm, or blue collar whites (at least in the poorer neighborhoods around Boston).

I do agree with DC structurally being some what of an outlier as I believe it's designed closer to Paris than any of these three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City