Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Logical Pairings of Major Northeastern Cities
Boston/NYC and Philadelphia/D.C. 14 17.72%
Boston/Philadelphia and NYC/D.C. 26 32.91%
Boston/D.C. and Philadelphia/NYC 39 49.37%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 02:33 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
If Baltimore was included in this list I would group it with DC despite those cites being very different. Baltimore has more in common with DC than the other 3 cites. Both cites are predominantly black, both are just below the mason-dixon line, both are in/border Maryland, both share the same airport, both played a huge role in the civil war.
DC is only 46/47% black now and Philly is about 43% black. Not a big difference. Especially considering that Philly's black population is 2x that of DC's overall. Also, I don't think race is thaaat big of a deal for these pairings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 02:47 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
DC is only 46/47% black now and Philly is about 43% black. Not a big difference. Especially considering that Philly's black population is 2x that of DC's overall. Also, I don't think race is thaaat big of a deal for these pairings.
I think the fact Philly and Washington have a largely African American black community while Boston/NYC have a much more significant Black immigrant community makes the gulf in traditional AA cultural prominence in the northern two cities significantly smaller.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think the fact Philly and Washington have a largely African American black community while Boston/NYC have a much more significant Black immigrant community makes the gulf in traditional AA cultural prominence in the northern two cities significantly smaller.
True true, that is ethnicity though and doesn't really apply to Philly/DC.

However, I do think that is THE MOST similar thing about Boston and NYC-the speech and ethnic diversity/immigrants-particularly those from the Carribean (including DR and PR). But thats still not enough for me not to see more of Boston in DC though.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:20 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Not sure how thats a contradiction. Im saying DC has a lower poverty rate and higher median HHI than Boston. It has also seen more rapid physical and cultural change than Boston over the last 20 years.
Gentrification pushes the middle class out of a city. So if DC still has a healthy middle class, then it can’t be too gentrified?

Old 07-19-2019, 04:38 PM

306 posts, read 479,860 times
As a traveler(mostly tourists spots) of these cities, what a difference a few decades make!

NYC in the 80s(esp Manhattan, Brooklyn) is completely different than the 80s. I mean Brookyln esp.

DC in the 80s and DC now? Holy Cow! Used to not stray away from the mall

Philly has improved, but still just seems like a big town.

I would say for desirability to live in 2019, NYC>>>>Boston(Spring, Summer, Fall)>>DC>>>Philly

Old 07-19-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Gentrification pushes the middle class out of a city. So if DC still has a healthy middle class, then it can’t be too gentrified?
I would also say DC seems to have the swankiest neighborhoods outside of NYC and probably with Worst neighborhoods of the 4.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
I would also say DC seems to have the swankiest neighborhoods outside of NYC and probably with Worst neighborhoods of the 4.
DCs worst neighborhoods are probably just barely worse than Bostons from an infrastructure and appearance standpoint. The crime is bad but overall I find much of southeast DC to be fairly well maintained, not much true blight and vacancy.

Bostons only got one high rise housing project left. It was 2 until this year. Bostons worse neighborhoods look the best just don't feature much transit nor dining/shopping options compared to the other 3.

Crime wise and looks wise philly is worst BY FAR. Not even close to any of these other cities.

Crime wise NYCs worst neighborhoods are the safest but they can still look very grimy.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:01 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
One more word about Gritty: His attitude was pure Philadelphia blue-collar from the beginning, when just about the next thing he Tweeted after introducing himself with "It me." was this in response to a taunt from the Pittsburgh Penguins' mascot: "Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird."
I think Gritty is a psychopath, possibly with schizophrenia and multi personality disorder.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:13 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Philly’s worst neighborhoods top all of these cities worst IMO. Even the worst and most notorious hoods of SE DC have been or soon will be redeveloped/ gentrified. Barry Farm, Anacostia, Congress Heights, Skyland all have major re-development going on East of the Anacostia river.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Philly’s worst neighborhoods top all of these cities worst IMO. Even the worst and most notorious hoods of SE DC have been or soon will be redeveloped/ gentrified. Barry Farm, Anacostia, Congress Heights, Skyland all have major re-development going on East of the Anacostia river.
Washington still has the worst crime rate of all 4.

Due to a large amount of Suburban NE Philly “diluting” the numbers I guess it is possible a few neighborhoods in Philly are worse than DC equivalents. But I do agree DC tends to look most put together in its built environment no matter the socioeconomic status of the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City