Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Logical Pairings of Major Northeastern Cities
Boston/NYC and Philadelphia/D.C. 14 17.72%
Boston/Philadelphia and NYC/D.C. 26 32.91%
Boston/D.C. and Philadelphia/NYC 39 49.37%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 03:58 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
To me, Baltimore and Philly don’t seem like brothers in any way. The white populations do not feel similar to me. Philly Whites seem much more Italian-influenced than Baltimore. In fact, demographically, if it weren’t for accents, Chicago’s Whites are much more similar to Philly’s.

I can’t speak as accurately on blacks, but Philly’s blacks seem much closer to NY’s blacks (in accent, style, dress, etc) than they do to Baltimore or DC blacks.

Again, for me, other than row houses, I don’t think Philly and Baltimore are very similar. I am most familiar with University City (where I have lived), but downtown, demographics, scale, and vibe/attitude of the cities are very different and they don’t have a big brother relationship in any way. I always hear that from Baltimore/DC people, but rarely hear that from Philly people.
Black People from Philly and NYC don't seem similar either. Black people from Philly and Baltimore are also no more similar. I've heard my brother say they were similar (he's from Baltimore and has lived in Philly for 20 years), but even then, i still dont see the similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 05:59 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Black People from Philly and NYC don't seem similar either. Black people from Philly and Baltimore are also no more similar. I've heard my brother say they were similar (he's from Baltimore and has lived in Philly for 20 years), but even then, i still dont see the similarities.
Fair enough. I guess it does depend on experiences/perspectives. Personally, I found Philly's whites and blacks to align much more with those from NY/NJ than with Baltimore/DC, but I guess it does depend on what exact characteristics you are comparing.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:38 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post

So... Are the pairings based on the black population of each city. Even after Philly's black population is counted there's still one million residents left to count. The white population is slightly higher than the black, then there's the Latino population at roughly two hundred & twenty five thousand ( give or take a few.) leaving around another one hundred thousand Asian, and " others" left in the city of 1.6 Million.

So, again if we're comparing the black populations, are we to exclude the others to make the black narrative fit?
How about built environment? Pace of the city? Public transportation? Foot traffic? Nightlife? The restaurant scene? Tourism? Things to do? Etc?

Old 07-25-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
So... Are the pairings based on the black population of each city. Even after Philly's black population is counted there's still one million residents left to count. The white population is slightly higher than the black, then there's the Latino population at roughly two hundred & twenty five thousand ( give or take a few.) leaving around another one hundred thousand Asian, and " others" left in the city of 1.6 Million.

So, again if we're comparing the black populations, are we to exclude the others to make the black narrative fit?
How about built environment? Pace of the city? Public transportation? Foot traffic? Nightlife? The restaurant scene? Tourism? Things to do? Etc?
I didn't start the thread, but I dont think it is necessary as NYC 5X the size of Philly's city limits. If they are basing it on metro size, its would be even as DC and Philly are roughly the same size.

As far as Pairings with the black population, I don't really see any of them as similar aside from Boston and NYC. Philly and NYC aren't really alike, and DC and Philly arent alike. If Baltimore is added, it isn't like any of them either.

If we're talking about black culture influence of these cities, then that's another can of worms.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:

This is why I have never hear people from Philly claim that there is any big brother relationship between them and Baltimore (or DC). The only people you hear say this, are some people from Baltimore and DC. You very rarely hear people from Philly claim this relationship because of all the differences in these many characteristics you list. Even if you do just limit it to black populations, they do not seem similar.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This is why I have never hear people from Philly claim that there is any big brother relationship between them and Baltimore (or DC). The only people you hear say this, are some people from Baltimore and DC. You very rarely hear people from Philly claim this relationship because of all the differences in these many characteristics you list. Even if you do just limit it to black populations, they do not seem similar.
When was the last time you've heard someone from Baltimore say that they're like Philly?

Old 07-25-2019, 05:55 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
I’ve never heard anyone from DC say Philadelphia is some big brother to DC. First I ever heard that. They don’t even look alike.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:01 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:

This isnt true. Philadelphia is about 43% non-Hispanic black and 35% non-Hispanic white.

Also, the black culture in all of these cities is every important because quite frankly they are the largest group of people BORN in ALL of these cities except NYC (yes, even in Boston more black children are born in city limits than any other group).

They are the number one race born in all the cities and often have to deal the most with cities dysfunction-both social and physical. The people born and raised in these cities are plurality or majority black and they make up the majority or plurality of all the public schools except for NYC and Boston where Hispanics are the largest segment of school children.

I agree that it's not the most important part and we got off on a tangent. As I said in an earlier post... I pair DC and Boston and Philly/NYC. If I were going by the black culture it would be NYC/Boston and Philly/NYC or DC.

Built environment Pace and Nightlife are good topics I think we should touch on because we have really thus far.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I’ve never heard anyone from DC say Philadelphia is some big brother to DC. First I ever heard that. They don’t even look alike.
I've never heard that one either. To be honest, the only cities i see with a big brother-little brother relationship is Philly and NYC. Boston does its own thing, DC does its own thing, Baltimore does its own thing. Boston is kinda far removed from the rest, DC has its own thing going, Baltimore is too stubborn to follow anyone's lead (which a good thing in all except one instance).

Old 07-25-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You are correct. I probably worded it wrong/mistyped it. I was trying to say that some DC people (like theresident09 in this thread), say that Philly and Baltimore are similar and have a big brother relationship. I was saying, in my observations, the people (or more accurately, posters) most likely to say that Philly and Baltimore are similar and have a big brother relationship, are posters from Baltimore or DC. You rarely hear people from Philly say they are simile or are a big brother f Baltimore (I never heard this when living in Philly). In my time in Philly, people there have a much greater connection with NYC and NJ. Baltimore and DC were rarely mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City