Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Logical Pairings of Major Northeastern Cities
Boston/NYC and Philadelphia/D.C. 14 17.72%
Boston/Philadelphia and NYC/D.C. 26 32.91%
Boston/D.C. and Philadelphia/NYC 39 49.37%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 01:33 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lived in Baltimore 6 years. I witnessed a relationship there. Went to Philly on countless weekends from Baltimore and some times mid week just cause it was so close. To each their own.

Baltimore used to share slang with, Philly, NJ etc. They used to rock to club music up there. Baltimore/DC strippers going to Philly for work and vice versa. Freddie Gray died and Philly, DC, NY were in the highest numbers outside of Baltimore natives marching on North Ave Westside, let's be objective here. There is relationship.
I would've left the stripper part out. lol

They're might have been a relationship between Baltimore and Philly, but as of late, and as I've previously stated, there isn't much of a relationship between the two cities. Baltimore has more of a relationship with the cities to itself; however, i do acknowledge that Baltimore has had a bit of influence on Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 02:28 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
The numbers between blacks and whites are not that far off.. Also they've ebbed and flowed over the years, but any according to the census bureau it's less than 20,000.

This is from the US Censes Bureau.

Philadelphia Demographics
According to the most recent ACS, the racial composition of Philadelphia was:

Black or African American: 42.56%
White: 41.55%
Asian: 7.10%
Other race: 5.57%
Two or more races: 2.80%
Native American: 0.36%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 0.05%

Philadelphia Diversity
As far as the age composition, 22.5% were under 18, 13.3% were 18-25, 28.5% were 25 to 44, 23.5% were 45 to 64, and 12.1% were 65 or older, with a median age of 33.5 years.

The largest ancestry groups in Philadelphia, according to the 2010 census, were: Irish (13.6%), Italian (9.2%), German (8.1%), Polish (4.3%) and English (2.9%).

Philadelphia is home to the second largest Italian, Irish and Jamaican-American populations in the country. It also has the 4th largest African-American community in the United States and created the first black denomination, the African Methodist Episcopal Church, before 1800. Philadelphia has the 6th largest population of Jewish people and the 4th largest population of Polish Americans.

As of 2008, the Philadelphia metropolitan area was home to over 500,000 immigrants, 1/5 of whom had arrived since 2000. This increased immigration by about 113,000 between 2000 and 2006, which is the same amount that entered during the entire 1990s. Immigrants now account for 10.9% of Philadelphia's population, and it's believed the area will once again become a popular destination for immigrants, which was common during the mid-20th century.

I'm not sure if they included the Latino population in with another group, but either way I think my estimated numbers were very close. Give or take a few thousand in each demographics population.
I know of lots of Jamaicans in Philly and obviously the Irish and Italians, still only 11% of Philly is foreign born? That’s crazy. Why don’t they immigrate to Philly Bmore and DC? Boston is 29% immigrant and Massachusetts as a state is 17% immigrants. NYC is 35% immigrants and NY and NJ are both 20% or more immigrants. Why not Philly?

Old 07-26-2019, 03:50 PM

91 posts, read 79,243 times
I noticed that theres interesting variations in the Black/Hispanic relationship by city. Usually becuz of culture and types of blacks (American, Caribbean) and Hispanics (Caribbean, Central American)

DC area blacks are vast majority American Black. As for Hispanics, vast majority of them come from Central American countries. They mostly avoid each other, very little interaction, almost like Chicago.

Baltimore has a tiny (but diverse) Hispanic community still in its baby years. Comparably the Black population is faaaar more huge, and mostly American Blacks. I dont know much, but Im guessing similar to DC.

Philadelphia has a large Hispanic population (moslty Puerto Ricans), and a even much larger Black population (mostly American Blacks). They definetly get along and interact, but there is occasional tension and separation (ex a person choosing to only be friends or date within same race). Definetly more segregated then NYC/Boston. Philly black/hispanics relations reminds me of NYC in the 90s and early 2000s , they kiinda got along, but then you also had Bloods and Latin Kings beefin, thats how some Rican/black street crews are.

NYC is super diverse with all different types of blacks and hispanics, from the Northeast trademark American Blacks and Puerto Ricans to the Dominicans, Jamaicans, Haitians, Colombians, Nigerians, etc. Maybe in the past there was slight tension, but in 2019 they get alomg 80% of the time and when they dont , they mostly just avoid each other.

Boston is similar to NYC, diverse. With Dominicans now being the largest Hispanic group. Also have Haitians, Jamaicans, Cape Verdeans, Brazilians, as well as long standing populations of Puerto Ricans and Black Americans. Boston metro is the place where blacks and hispanics mesh the most, the groups are just very blurred there, almost like they are one group.

I think despite Boston (and basically New England in general) has a higher proportion of Caribbean Hispanics (Puerto Ricans & Dominicans) than southeast Pennsylavnia(Philly area), but many are usually less "pro Hispanic/Latino" and usually mesh they group with the Caribbean blacks. Whereas Philly Hispanics, have less presence in the area but have more of that pro Hispanic vibe, becuz of their segregation from American blacks. Which leads me to believe, yes Hispanics get along with American blacks, but they get along alot more with Caribbean blacks.

NYC is a different beast overall. but aside from the Miami and maybe Orlando metros, the NYC and Boston metros are the only other ones in the entire country where Caribbean blacks (Haitians, Jamaicans) outnumber American blacks. The Lower Northeast corridor (Philly to DC) is similiar to the rest of the country, whereas American blacks make up 75% (or higher) of the city and metro area.

Also, neighborhoods with American blacks and Puerto Ricans , are more dangerous than neighborhoods with other Hispanics and blacks. Notice how Philly is far more dangerous than Boston. Or how NYC was worse in the 1980s and 90s before large waves of immigrant hispanocs and blacks came, and the city's black and hispanic were mainly just Black Americans and Puerto Ricans. Or the most dangerous city in the country, Camden NJ, is close to 90% made of these 2 groups.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post
I noticed that theres interesting variations in the Black/Hispanic relationship by city. Usually becuz of culture and types of blacks (American, Caribbean) and Hispanics (Caribbean, Central American)

DC area blacks are vast majority American Black. As for Hispanics, vast majority of them come from Central American countries. They mostly avoid each other, very little interaction, almost like Chicago.

Baltimore has a tiny (but diverse) Hispanic community still in its baby years. Comparably the Black population is faaaar more huge, and mostly American Blacks. I dont know much, but Im guessing similar to DC.

Philadelphia has a large Hispanic population (moslty Puerto Ricans), and a even much larger Black population (mostly American Blacks). They definetly get along and interact, but there is occasional tension and separation (ex a person choosing to only be friends or date within same race). Definetly more segregated then NYC/Boston. Philly black/hispanics relations reminds me of NYC in the 90s and early 2000s , they kiinda got along, but then you also had Bloods and Latin Kings beefin, thats how some Rican/black street crews are.

NYC is super diverse with all different types of blacks and hispanics, from the Northeast trademark American Blacks and Puerto Ricans to the Dominicans, Jamaicans, Haitians, Colombians, Nigerians, etc. Maybe in the past there was slight tension, but in 2019 they get alomg 80% of the time and when they dont , they mostly just avoid each other.

Boston is similar to NYC, diverse. With Dominicans now being the largest Hispanic group. Also have Haitians, Jamaicans, Cape Verdeans, Brazilians, as well as long standing populations of Puerto Ricans and Black Americans. Boston metro is the place where blacks and hispanics mesh the most, the groups are just very blurred there, almost like they are one group.

I think despite Boston (and basically New England in general) has a higher proportion of Caribbean Hispanics (Puerto Ricans & Dominicans) than southeast Pennsylavnia(Philly area), but many are usually less "pro Hispanic/Latino" and usually mesh they group with the Caribbean blacks. Whereas Philly Hispanics, have less presence in the area but have more of that pro Hispanic vibe, becuz of their segregation from American blacks. Which leads me to believe, yes Hispanics get along with American blacks, but they get along alot more with Caribbean blacks.

NYC is a different beast overall. but aside from the Miami and maybe Orlando metros, the NYC and Boston metros are the only other ones in the entire country where Caribbean blacks (Haitians, Jamaicans) outnumber American blacks. The Lower Northeast corridor (Philly to DC) is similiar to the rest of the country, whereas American blacks make up 75% (or higher) of the city and metro area.

Also, neighborhoods with American blacks and Puerto Ricans , are more dangerous than neighborhoods with other Hispanics and blacks. Notice how Philly is far more dangerous than Boston. Or how NYC was worse in the 1980s and 90s before large waves of immigrant hispanocs and blacks came, and the city's black and hispanic were mainly just Black Americans and Puerto Ricans. Or the most dangerous city in the country, Camden NJ, is close to 90% made of these 2 groups.
Agree with everything said here. In Boston half the time dont know or cant tell if someone is black or Hispanic. I think a l of that is because Cape Verdeans and to a lesser extent Dominicans act as a buffer. Cape Verdean look black/Dominican and then there names are sometimes fully american sounding, sometimes theyre heavily Portuguese, and sometimes its a surname that is also a Hispanic surname. Also i think because the white population in Boston is large relative to blacks and Hispanics they band together out of necessity. Boston also has an innercity political landscape and culture that has just always been run by or predominately African American and due to the scarcity of power options for minorities in the area in general the Hispanics and other blacks sort of "fall in line" and assimialte into black american culture and organizations pretty quickly and the longstanding African-Americans are pretty open minded and welcoming of this. Boston oftentimes feels like There white people and then theres everybody else. Whites and Asians dont even interact that much until you go to Cambridge but in Dorchester and Lynn and Roxbury youll see a fair amount of black/Hispanic and Asian interactions (mostly Vietnamese).

Old 07-26-2019, 07:56 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston is much more expensive than DC (its premier neighborhoods are fully twice as expensive as DCs) and yes Boston has a very large Puerto Rican Population. Until 2014 it was the largest Hispanic group in the city until they were passed by Dominicans. Growing up in Boston i really only knew of Puerto Ricans. I didnt know other Hispanic groups existed in the US except for Mexicans which i thought only lived in Cali and Texas. Boston is just over 20% Hispanic far outpacing Philly and DC

Bostons Puerto Rican Festival is a 3-day affair attracting 30k+ people. Its in its 53rd year. https://www.bostonusa.com/event/puer...estival/47982/
Oh really, I heard Providence has been an enclave for Dominicans for quite sometime. A spoken word poet by the name of rudy ru is from Providence and he lived there since he was 5 in 94. Based on your statement it makes NYC more similar to Boston. Rican culture is pretty prominent from Boston to Delaware but quickly fizzles out once you cross the mason-dixon line.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:29 AM

828 posts, read 647,741 times
This is a hard one as I think DC is the clear outlier of the four in many ways (less so now than it used to be though).

I'd probably pair them in this way: NYC/Boston, Philly/DC, mostly because I think the DC/Boston pairing makes little sense.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Oh really, I heard Providence has been an enclave for Dominicans for quite sometime. A spoken word poet by the name of rudy ru is from Providence and he lived there since he was 5 in 94. Based on your statement it makes NYC more similar to Boston. Rican culture is pretty prominent from Boston to Delaware but quickly fizzles out once you cross the mason-dixon line.
Yea without question Providence is ultra Dominican. The last two mayors were Dominican. Same with Lawrence MA but still its nowhere near as Dominican as Lawrence.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:34 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea without question Providence is ultra Dominican. The last two mayors were Dominican. Same with Lawrence MA but still its nowhere near as Dominican as Lawrence.
I'm pretty sure that very few places outside of Hispaniola are as Dominican as Lawrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City