Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee vs Louisville
Milwaukee 55 70.51%
Louisville 23 29.49%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 08:51 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
It's not boostering. It is getting facts straight. Lot of misinformation out there about Louisville.

Louisville has less flights because it's market share passengers with Cincinnati and Lexington. In most regions these cities are nearly close enough to be considered one metro area.
Milwaukee is closer to O'Hare than Louisville is to CVG, and I know you don't want to start comparing CVG to O'Hare. If that's your reason for SDF having fewer flights (market share with Cincinnati), then Milwaukee definitely gets to be considered as market sharing with O'Hare.

Quote:
Milwaukee is "close" to Chicago but it really isn't. It can take HOURS to get into the actual city of Chicago with traffic. That never occurs Louisville to Cincinnati. I have been to Milwaukee a zillion times. I grew up in north Chicago. Milwaukee is not any more impressive than Louisville. Slightly more urban yes...but SUBSTANTIALLY MORE IMPESSIVE? no way! At the end of the day....a midsized city. If Louisville is "blown away" by Milwaukee, then you need to admit Louisville "blows away" Omaha. The fact is, neither statement is true.
Milwaukee has frequent passenger rail service to Chicago. Louisville has nothing but driving. Yeah, traffic might be bad in Chicago, but someone coming from Milwaukee could easily hop on a train and avoid all the traffic.

Louisville has a solid urban fabric. However, it hasn't yet capitalized on it yet. Even with all the development going on, there are significant portions of Downtown, NuLu, Butchertown, Germantown, Smoketown, etc. that are not developed to their potential. Louisville's most amenity-rich destination is The Highlands, which is a linear strip of development on Bardstown Road. This is not urban to me. There is a lot going on on Bardstown Rd, but it's not an urban footprint in the same way as Milwaukee is. Linear development doesn't equal urban to me, and I'd bet most people agree. Once NuLu, Butchertown, Smoketown, and Downtown are fully built out to their potential, Louisville will punch way above its class because not many cities its size have such a large, currently underutilized urban footprint. But the neighborhoods are currently disconnected and not being fully utilized. Old Louisville is mostly residential. Germantown is mostly shotgun houses with little downtown-y development. Some may argue that the more linear style urban corridors in Louisville are better, but it makes everything more spread out. Germantown has a couple things here and there, but no downtown. Same can be seen even in more downtown-y areas, like how 4th St carries most of the businesses.

Quote:
I saw the new Milwaukee streetcar when at Summerfest this year....so if a one (or two) mile tiny streetcar makes Milwaukee more urban? Give me a break Jesse. I think your beef with Louisville was it wasn't LA or Philly. Louisville's two free circulator buses provide the exact same service over more miles (Loulift).
It's still the city investing in public transit. Louisville, IIRC, cut funding for TARC recently. It has decided it will continue focusing on vehicle transit by building new freeway junctions and entirely ignoring TARC. The streetcar might be short, but it's planned to be extended and at least shows some signs of Milwaukee wanting to invest in public transit. Milwaukee has 31.5 million riders per year on their buses. Louisville has
14.3 million.

Quote:
City data in general treats Louisville much smaller than it is. It's very urban and walkable especially among core neighborhoods which are tightly connected and growing into each other.
See above. Its urban footprint is large, but highly underutilized and development is often very linear, not creating actual downtown-y types of areas. Downtown is not that impressive, but it is improving. It has the urban grid to support something much better, but it's being underutilized right now. But, it is a small city.

Quote:
Louisville has more than 27 flights by the way. Several more. The stupid airport website doesn't even list the direct flight to Los Angeles! I have also taken direct flights from Louisville to Myrtle Beach and New Orleans MYSELF. So I am sure there are others. There's 30 off the top of my head. Louisville also DOES have season international flights. Cancun is most common and also not listed.

Louisville International Airport (SDF). Where do you want to go today?Louisville Regional Airport Authority (list is WAY WAY OLD)

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5
I'm not going to sit here and say I know the ins and outs of SDF. But you asked for reasons why Milwaukee would better. The larger and better-connected airport is one way Milwaukee is better. You actually are getting super defensive over this and idk why. Nobody is saying Louisville sucks. In fact I've only said it has good things and a bright future, but it currently has not capitalized on its potential. I've also said in numerous other threads how KY holds down Louisville and the city would be much better if the state didn't do everything to stifle Louisville's growth.

Quote:
I can go on and on about the misrepresentations of Louisville here. Only Jessem really knows the city but even he has not see the explosive construction/flight and other growth since he left. What am I trying to prove? These are two comparable cities. Its great some prefer Milwaukee, but comparing them isn'ta stretch, not in the least. Just as no one bats two eyes comparing Louisville to Omaha...and they shouldn't.
You're right, I haven't. But see above. Nobody says it sucks. You're on the very strong defensive here for really no reason. Everyone has only said positive things about Louisville, but just claims that Milwaukee is out of its league. And it is! Milwaukee's GDP is larger in both raw numbers and per capita. If you're trying to go based on actual statistics, there's that. And honestly, my preference for a city on open water isn't something that can be categorized numerically. I don't hate Louisville, again. But I could never live somewhere so far from open water ever again. Then, on top of being on open water with real beaches, Milwaukee has pro sports, it's larger, it's close to one of the greatest cities in the world, it has a more developed downtown, etc.

Quote:
Shopping isn't better in Milwaukee. Give me a break Jesse. Where is Milwaukee's Gucci? https://www.gucci.com/us/en/store . Shopping is virtually equal. Rodes may not be "nationally known" but has better brands in some cases than Milwaukee's Nordstrom. Heck I think Louisville's Von Maur is very comparable (its the top Von Maur in the USA).
Simpsonville Outlets are very good. I'll give you that. But don't forget that Chicago is a day trip away from Milwaukee for absolute world-class shopping.

Quote:
Milwaukee has two Whole Foods and TJ? WHO CARES? LMAO...the reason for that is simple, the geography of the city. Louisville is more compact and concentric...Milwaukee is developed along the lake north to south. I have a valid comeback for every post you make.
I care. Again, you asked for reasons. I gave my reasons. Now you're shutting down my opinion as if it's wrong. Say what you want about me, but I could never live somewhere without a TJs. A drawing factor and even selling feature of St. Matthews was having both WF and TJ within 2 minutes of my apartment. A market that can sustain two of each is, to me, a better market. The geography of the city is irrelevant. They're on the north and west sides.

Again, idk how to say this. I don't hate Louisville. Nobody on here hates it. But Milwaukee is better, or at least preferred, by the majority of people.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City