Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer based on the categories listed?
Chicago 103 59.88%
Boston 69 40.12%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 09:09 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I'm legitimately embarrassed to say I know nothing about this. Looks awesome though.
Not your fault, Thats just indicative of the extreme cultural and racial segregation of Boston. That's one reason I voted Chicago and so did 2/3rds of people. Ive not been to any the event you listed except Boston Pops. I didnt even know half of THOSE existed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 09:16 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Thats just indicative of the extreme cultural and racial segregation of Boston. That's one reason I voted Chicago and so did 2/3rds of people.
Not wrong about the segregation of Boston.

But hoooolldddddd on now.. If you think Chicago is better off in terms of racial integration, and if you think that's the reason Chicago is winning the poll, you are out of your mind.

The South and (far) West side does not even exist to those on the North side and in the suburbs. At least people from Winchester know what Mattapan is. Folks from Wilmette wouldn't even know what Gage Park or South Deering is.

They both get Fs. Hard Fs.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:

But hoooolldddddd on now.. If you think Chicago is better off in terms of racial integration, and if you think that's the reason Chicago is winning the poll, you are out of your mind.

The South and (far) West side does not even exist to those on the North side and in the suburbs. At least people from Winchester know what Mattapan is. Folks from Wilmette wouldn't even know what Gage Park or South Deering is.

Chicago is not more integrated but there much more parity in terms of cultural weight and events and attractions and downtown for all races. Bostons blacks are banished to the south of the city for virtually anything and out of the public eye. That hurts its cultural and entertainment offerings. Its not directly because of segregation. IN Bostons central places and tourist areas there nothing that caters to black or latinos. nothing at all. There a teeny bit for Asians and thats it. It makes the downtown seem more homogeneous and sterile thus it hurts its reputation with people used to a more cosmopolitan downtown like Chicago. Doqwntowns should be at least somewhat of a cultural crossroads not a domain for rich white folks. DTX is that to an extent but its downscale retail and some poverty amongst new skyscrapers and only last for 3 blocks. This makes Boston feel less dynamic than most other major cities-culturally.

Theres a major lack fo cultural awareness in Boston and and even bigger lack of cultural parity. No reason that Boston at 25% black should fell sooooo much less black than chicago at 30% black. Its other things in the city itself that make it so and thats always been a knock on Bosto- not just for social reasons.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Chicago is not more integrated but there much more parity in terms of cultural weight and events and attractions and downtown for all races. Bostons blacks are banished to the south of the city for virtually anything and out of the public eye. That hurts its cultural and entertainment offerings. Its not directly because of segregation. IN Bostons central places and tourist areas there nothing that caters to black or latinos. nothing at all. There a teeny bit for Asians and thats it. It makes the downtown seem more homogeneous and sterile thus it hurts its reputation with people used to a more cosmopolitan downtown like Chicago. Doqwntowns should be at least somewhat of a cultural crossroads not a domain for rich white folks. DTX is that to an extent but its downscale retail and some poverty amongst new skyscrapers and only last for 3 blocks. This makes Boston feel less dynamic than most other major cities-culturally.
OK, got it. Well said.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
OK, got it. Well said.
Also its not the only reason at all but it covertly is a major reason. Chicago will just have more appeal to more people because its far more inclusive/tolerant/practical/cosmopolitan

Old 09-12-2019, 09:40 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:

They're both northern cities, therefore they naturally have a lot of racial segregation, something that has been around since the great migration in the early 20th century.

I would say Chicago, like quite a few cities in the country, including LA, is a very "tale of two cities" kind of place. All the wealthy people live in one area while the ultra poor live in another, and middle class live in their own areas.... and yes, within that there are racial divisions. But, there's not too many cities that *are* integrated in the way a lot of people dream of. The south is your closest bet, but the south is also known for racism in other ways.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
They're both northern cities, therefore they naturally have a lot of racial segregation, something that has been around since the great migration in the early 20th century.

I would say Chicago, like quite a few cities in the country, including LA, is a very "tale of two cities" kind of place. All the wealthy people live in one area while the ultra poor live in another, and middle class live in their own areas.... and yes, within that there are racial divisions. But, there's not too many cities that *are* integrated in the way a lot of people dream of. The south is your closest bet, but the south is also known for racism in other ways.
Downtown LA and Downtown Chicago have a mixed racial(and economic) representation and feel. Downtown Boston does not. That the big difference.There more cultural variety to a visitor in LA or Chicago than in Boston. A lot more.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:48 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times
Quote:

Theres a major lack fo cultural awareness in Boston and and even bigger lack of cultural parity. No reason that Boston at 25% black should fell sooooo much less black than chicago at 30% black. Its other things in the city itself that make it so and thats always been a knock on Bosto- not just for social reasons.

I always enjoy reading your posts. I will say walking around downtown Boston on a recent Saturday easily 1/2 of people I heard speaking around me were not speaking English...this is my usual experience walking around downtown..

Last edited by Ne999; 09-12-2019 at 03:58 PM..

Old 09-12-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
I always enjoy reading your posts. I will say walking around downtown Boston in a recent Saturday easily 1/2 of people I heard speaking around me were not speaking English...this is my experience often walking around downtown
Absolutely true.

Outside of NYC, I genuinely don't think I've walked around a U.S city and heard more European languages being spoken than I now do in Boston. Which should only be a surprise to those who are not familiar with Boston.

But, that is not the cultural experience that BostonBorn is referring to. They're certainly not mutually exclusive.. Both are true.

I'd also add that Boston is more buttoned up than Chicago in so many ways... Street art, daily/weekend outdoor musical performances, celebrations of any type of culture/counter culture, art fairs, festivals (not of European descent) really do not exist. Despite the fact that it is a lot more diverse by % than anyone wants to admit, Boston is far more interested in preserving it's historical roots than most any other city in the US.

Last edited by mwj119; 09-12-2019 at 04:07 PM..

Old 09-12-2019, 04:59 PM

Soo....Rich white Europeans?

You’re further reinforcing my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City