Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: PA vs GA
Pennsylvania 66 57.89%
Georgia 48 42.11%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 04:46 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Still not sure where these K-12 Georgia votes are coming from and still no explanation?

Even more unsure how Georgia exceeds Pennsylvania in higher education?

Looks like some people are letting their personal preferences get in the way of reality... shocker for this site.
I'm from ATL and Philadelphia alone kills GA in higher ED add Pittsburgh and it isn't close. I think PA wins with suburbs and geographic proximity. PA also has a more diverse array of food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 08:43 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Economy: GA
Education, K-12: GA
Education, colleges and universities: PA
Infrastructure (road conditions, public transit, bridges, water/energy sustainability/supply, etc.): GA. PA has awful infrastructure.
Housing (quality of architecture, selection of old and new, urban, suburban and rural, etc.): PA
Cost of living: GA
Major cities: PA
Suburbs: GA
Small cities and rural areas: PA
General state culture, events and activities: Depends
Cuisine: GA
Outdoor recreation: GA
Scenery: PA
Climate: GA
Geographic position (proximity to out-of-state opportunities and recreation; importance in surrounding region): PA

I'd give Georgia the slight overall edge personally. I've lived in both albeit briefly and preferred Georgia.
I haven't lived in GA, so I'm genuinely asking if you could please explain these.

1. I've yet to see a ranking that ever puts GA K-12 over PA K-12.

2. PA roads are older than GA, that's for sure. But OP asked about public transit and sustainability as well. Hands down PA has the better public transit. And as a conservative state, I'd assume (knowing full well what assuming can do both you and me) that GA doesn't care about sustainability as much as PA with a Dem. Governor and heavily blue Pittsburgh and Philly.

3. I know nothing about suburbs because I'm a city boy. But isn't the Main Line one of the best suburban regions in the country? And then there is all of South Jersey as well. Is GA better for suburbs because they're more affordable?

4. Philly is often regarded as one of the top food cities in the country. I know Atlanta also has good food, but can it really compare? Philly has some of the best Italian food in the country, a large Jewish population for good delis, a large Caribbean Latin population for Cuban/Puerto Rican/Dominican food, a full Chinatown, a heavy Vietnamese area in South Philly, a sizable Mexican population in South Philly bringing in great Mexican food, famous chefs in all cuisines especially Israeli/Mediterranean (Zahav), and more I can't think of. Philly has the cheesesteak to call its own. The soul/Southern food/cuisine is good in the area with the large black population. I can't comment much on Pittsburgh's cuisine and dining culture, but with just Philly alone, I can't see how GA can win that category, so it doesn't make sense that you can add Pittsburgh's dining and still have PA come out behind GA in that category.

Please don't take this as argumentative. I'd genuinely just like to hear your side of those 4.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:48 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times
North > South. Penn wins.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:58 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I haven't lived in GA, so I'm genuinely asking if you could please explain these.

1. I've yet to see a ranking that ever puts GA K-12 over PA K-12.

2. PA roads are older than GA, that's for sure. But OP asked about public transit and sustainability as well. Hands down PA has the better public transit. And as a conservative state, I'd assume (knowing full well what assuming can do both you and me) that GA doesn't care about sustainability as much as PA with a Dem. Governor and heavily blue Pittsburgh and Philly.

3. I know nothing about suburbs because I'm a city boy. But isn't the Main Line one of the best suburban regions in the country? And then there is all of South Jersey as well. Is GA better for suburbs because they're more affordable?

4. Philly is often regarded as one of the top food cities in the country. I know Atlanta also has good food, but can it really compare? Philly has some of the best Italian food in the country, a large Jewish population for good delis, a large Caribbean Latin population for Cuban/Puerto Rican/Dominican food, a full Chinatown, a heavy Vietnamese area in South Philly, a sizable Mexican population in South Philly bringing in great Mexican food, famous chefs in all cuisines especially Israeli/Mediterranean (Zahav), and more I can't think of. Philly has the cheesesteak to call its own. The soul/Southern food/cuisine is good in the area with the large black population. I can't comment much on Pittsburgh's cuisine and dining culture, but with just Philly alone, I can't see how GA can win that category, so it doesn't make sense that you can add Pittsburgh's dining and still have PA come out behind GA in that category.

Please don't take this as argumentative. I'd genuinely just like to hear your side of those 4.
I am in agreement, but to add... Philadelphia has many other beautiful desirable suburbs in Southeastern PA beyond the Main Line. - Basically all of Chester County, large chunks of Delaware County, Montgomery County and Bucks County as well.

South Jersey is New Jersey and basically the least desirable part of the Philadelphia region... Definitely not helpful in the PA argument.

That being said, I find the PA burbs extremely hard to beat, Atlanta has a handful of very nice suburbs, but Philadelphia has 2 handfuls, you also have Pittsburgh with its own collection and the Lehigh Valley which has some beautiful suburban areas as well.

Regarding cuisine, beyond Philadelphia being a top food city, PA has a wide array of unique food options from Amish / Dutch traditions to being the snack capital of the country.

And the fact that PA has two major cities is alone enough to warrant a win in virtually every category this thread is based on.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:08 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
I am in agreement, but to add... Philadelphia has many other beautiful desirable suburbs in Southeastern PA beyond the Main Line. - Basically all of Chester County, large chunks of Delaware County, Montgomery County and Bucks County as well.

South Jersey is New Jersey and basically the least desirable part of the Philadelphia region... Definitely not helpful in the PA argument.

That being said, I find the PA burbs extremely hard to beat, Atlanta has a handful of very nice suburbs, but Philadelphia has 2 handfuls, you also have Pittsburgh with its own collection and the Lehigh Valley which has some beautiful suburban areas as well.

Regarding cuisine, beyond Philadelphia being a top food city, PA has a wide array of unique food options from Amish / Dutch traditions to being the snack capital of the country.

And the fact that PA has two major cities is alone enough to warrant a win in virtually every category this thread is based on.
True to the rest of the suburbs on the PA side. And yes, South Jersey is nothing to write home about. However, NJ is known for having some of the best public schools in the country. I'm sure that's more geared toward North Jersey, but I'm sure there have to be some good ones in South Jersey. Moorestown, Cherry Hill, Voorhees, the Haddons, etc. probably have good schools.

And yes, Pittsburgh has plenty I'm sure, but I'm just not familiar enough with its suburbs.

Atlanta is a great city, but I agree, I think it's hard for Atlanta to beat both Pittsburgh and Philly when just Philly alone is arguably the better city.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:27 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:

This.

Up until probably 1990, Pittsburgh by itself would have to have been considered a much bigger deal than Atlanta through most of American history.

Philly is about the same land area as Atlanta right? More than 3X the population. Lehigh Valley, Erie, Harrisburg probably trump any tertiary metros in Georgia.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:32 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
This.

Up until probably 1990, Pittsburgh by itself would have to have been considered a much bigger deal than Atlanta through most of American history.

Philly is about the same land area as Atlanta right? More than 3X the population. Lehigh Valley, Erie, Harrisburg probably trump any tertiary metros in Georgia.
Philadelphia and Atlanta metros are neck and neck in population, and Atlanta will surely eclipse Philadelphia in the coming decade save for unforeseeable circumstances. Within city proper, yes, Philly is more populous, as it is a dense, urban city.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:45 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times
Quote:

Philadelphia’s suburbs have more of a legacy than Atlanta’s, but Atlanta’s suburbs are in no way inferior.

Sandy Springs
Dunwoody
Vinings
Brookhaven
Decatur
Roswell
Milton
Johns Creek
East Cobb
Alpharetta
Peachtree City
Suwanee
Duluth
Fayetteville
Woodstock
Berkeley Lake
Mountain Park
Buford
Kennesaw
Acworth

All desirable suburbs. This doesn’t include the affluent neighborhoods in the city like Historic Druid Hills, Ansley Park, Virginia-Highlands, Ponce-Highlands, Brookwood Hills, Mount Paran, Kingswood, Chastain Park, etc. Plus, Pennsylvania has no answer for Savannah’s costal suburban areas like Tybee Island or Skidaway Island.

If anything, I’d call the suburbs a tie for quality and and a nod to PA just due to the fact that it’s a larger state with two major metros.

PA also quite easily takes education on both fronts though GA certainly isn’t lacking in higher ed.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:59 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
This.

Aww. You sound like you were trying to make a point. What was it again? Atlanta has been the biggest deal in The Southeast for decades prior to the 90s. Pittsburgh fell off hard and it ain’t coming back. And yes, Philadelphia was and still is larger than Atlanta. Atlanta has also consistently and rapidly closed the gap on Philadelphia both population wise and economically.

I know this hurts your little elitist feelings, but Idk what to tell you bud. I guess you’re gonna put on your big boy pants and let Atlanta continue to shine in your face.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:19 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Philadelphia and Atlanta metros are neck and neck in population, and Atlanta will surely eclipse Philadelphia in the coming decade save for unforeseeable circumstances. Within city proper, yes, Philly is more populous, as it is a dense, urban city.
Likely, yes, but economically? probably not, which further adds how economically powerful the Philadelphia region is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Aww. You sound like you were trying to make a point. What was it again? Atlanta has been the biggest deal in The Southeast for decades prior to the 90s. Pittsburgh fell off hard and it ain’t coming back. And yes, Philadelphia was and still is larger than Atlanta. Atlanta has also consistently and rapidly closed the gap on Philadelphia both population wise and economically.

I know this hurts your little elitist feelings, but Idk what to tell you bud. I guess you’re gonna put on your big boy pants and let Atlanta continue to shine in your face.
Population wise yes, economically, not really. The Atlanta economy is growing at a slightly faster rate, but not rapidly closing the gap on the Philadelphia. From any measurement of economics, the Philadelphia metro is still substantially ahead of Atlanta, and I don't see a switch happening anytime soon.

From a statewide level, Georgia is growing more rapidly, but nowhere near surpassing PA in population, GDP / output.

And you are very much underplaying Pittsburgh, which is still has a very strong economic punch.

Georgia doesn't have a second major city / metro area, so I don't know why you are even arguing / replying with smart remarks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City