Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city in the 2020's will see the biggest transformation
Atlanta 21 9.77%
Baltimore 4 1.86%
Dallas 25 11.63%
Detroit 29 13.49%
Houston 13 6.05%
Minneapolis 10 4.65%
Philadelphia 30 13.95%
Pittsburgh 11 5.12%
Raleigh 37 17.21%
Richmond 14 6.51%
San Antonio 12 5.58%
San Diego 9 4.19%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 02:34 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,551 times

Advertisements

I think this renter migration report is interesting: https://www.apartmentlist.com/renton...report-2019q2/

Urban areas tend to have significantly more renters than homeowners, so maybe this search interest list can provide some indication. These are the top 10; I think the ones in bold are good contenders.
  1. Tampa
  2. Denver
  3. Baltimore
  4. San Diego
  5. Charlotte
  6. San Francisco
  7. St. Louis
  8. Orlando
  9. Portland
  10. LA

To be candid, I don't know enough about St Louis' recent economic activity and prospects to gauge whether it will transform. The city/region is awesome and there are a few neighborhoods in particular that are beyond beautiful. There's obviously a lot of vacant and underutilized land. Also, they have the infrastructure in place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 02:43 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
That list is interesting, and I wonder what factors contribute to high rankings. Some come to mind.
--Influx of young adults and other renters.
--The percentage of potential renters who are looking for apartments vs. other types not covered.
--Absence of a major university within the metro (for example CU it outside the Denver metro)...i.e. a lot of non-metro people are nearby at the state U when they're looking.

Etc.

That's just inbound of course. Another set of questions would regard who's leaving, which obviously varies a ton by city.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:36 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I think this renter migration report is interesting: https://www.apartmentlist.com/renton...report-2019q2/

Urban areas tend to have significantly more renters than homeowners, so maybe this search interest list can provide some indication. These are the top 10; I think the ones in bold are good contenders.
  1. Tampa
  2. Denver
  3. Baltimore
  4. San Diego
  5. Charlotte
  6. San Francisco
  7. St. Louis
  8. Orlando
  9. Portland
  10. LA

To be candid, I don't know enough about St Louis' recent economic activity and prospects to gauge whether it will transform. The city/region is awesome and there are a few neighborhoods in particular that are beyond beautiful. There's obviously a lot of vacant and underutilized land. Also, they have the infrastructure in place!
Interesting, although the numbers listed don’t paint a complete picture. For one it’s only for search results, not actual rentals.

I looked at the site and while Orlando is #8 for incoming, it’s #1 for outgoing. Most of its searches are from other Florida metros, as are Tampa’s and Miami’s.

The majority of Baltimore’s incoming searches are from DC, and most of San Francisco’s outgoing are for San Jose.

I plan on digger deeper through it later this evening. It looks like it has a lot of interesting info, even if it’s only based on search results.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:08 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Interesting, although the numbers listed don’t paint a complete picture. For one it’s only for search results, not actual rentals.

I looked at the site and while Orlando is #8 for incoming, it’s #1 for outgoing. Most of its searches are from other Florida metros, as are Tampa’s and Miami’s.

The majority of Baltimore’s incoming searches are from DC, and most of San Francisco’s outgoing are for San Jose.

I plan on digger deeper through it later this evening. It looks like it has a lot of interesting info, even if it’s only based on search results.
Yes, also as San Diegans we are particularly skeptical of these types of lists. SD is always near the top of places people want to move to, but obviously people don't because of various reasons but mostly cost of living.

If these types of lists actually meant anything then San Diego would be one of the largest metros in the country by now. It's still #17 and grew more slowly than the tropical Twin Cities since 2010.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:15 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Detroit. Michigan made the right moves early on with marijuana. Detroit has all of the ingredients to rise from the ashes.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:34 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Detroit. Michigan made the right moves early on with marijuana. Detroit has all of the ingredients to rise from the ashes.

Generally, the recipe for success requires a world class university. You don't have cities rising from the ashes without all those high wage people who can create intellectual property. I don't think Ann Arbor is going to do the trick since it's pretty far from the city.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:36 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Baltimore, currently, primarily in the city outside of the Harbor or Harbor East, is in decline. It's not in ascent. The MSA sees very little population growth this decade outside of Anne Arundel and Howard Counties, (the two closest to DC). It will NOT stay like this forever, because the surge from it's South is coming and expanding. However I think another decade of either bottoming out or balancing is going to happen before the full rebound. There are long term projects that will tilt the scale for Baltimore like Port Covington, but that is a 30+ year project down the line.
Howard county is growing faster than any other county in Maryland including Montgomery and PG (the two closest to DC) in population.

Are you saying that out of 240 neighborhoods in Baltimore city, only 2 of them are ascending?

In my opinion, Baltimore will never get it together. I've lost faith.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:55 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Howard county is growing faster than any other county in Maryland including Montgomery and PG (the two closest to DC) in population.

Are you saying that out of 240 neighborhoods in Baltimore city, only 2 of them are ascending?

In my opinion, Baltimore will never get it together. I've lost faith.
People said the same thing about DC in 1991 when the district has 486 murders that year with a smidge over 550k in population... these things take time and don't happen over night.

Baltimore needs to stabilize first, once that can be achieved..... the city will boom. It has too much going it in terms of economic resources/diversity, geographic location and talent pool

Old 11-20-2019, 09:16 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
People said the same thing about DC in 1991 when the district has 486 murders that year with a smidge over 550k in population... these things take time and don't happen over night.

Baltimore needs to stabilize first, once that can be achieved..... the city will boom. It has too much going it in terms of economic resources/diversity, geographic location and talent pool
It’s sandwiched between larger and more appealing metros. I think there is a hard ceiling on how far Baltimore can go for the foreseeable future.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:35 PM

492 posts, read 534,880 times
Hard to tell. Sun belt metros like Atlanta, Dallas and Houston will continue to grow at a similar pace as the last decade..

West coast cities for the most part have become prohibitively expensive, so I dont expect much growth out of the west coast metros..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City