Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city in the 2020's will see the biggest transformation
Atlanta 21 9.77%
Baltimore 4 1.86%
Dallas 25 11.63%
Detroit 29 13.49%
Houston 13 6.05%
Minneapolis 10 4.65%
Philadelphia 30 13.95%
Pittsburgh 11 5.12%
Raleigh 37 17.21%
Richmond 14 6.51%
San Antonio 12 5.58%
San Diego 9 4.19%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 10:27 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
The population has been coming in waves similar to Nashville, Charlotte, and Austin, but the sprawling nature of the Triangle has limited what the eye sees. But downtown Raleigh has been getting a large makeover over the past few years. Now that the NIMBY city council has been largely replaced, that looks to accelerate. And North Hills (Midtown) will come into its own over the next decade, and start challenging Durham for larger skyline.
I would replace the word sprawling with multi-core nature. The Triangle is sprouting two cores in Raleigh and Durham, while Raleigh's Midtown area a few miles north of downtown is doing the same.
For the coming decade, Raleigh is going to take it up a notch or two. There's just a lot in the pipeline that's going to accelerate the transformation of the city, especially its downtown core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 10:17 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, the 2020s isn't here yet, so it's still a prediction of it taking off in the next decade rather than already having done or doing so now.
Richmond had some really rough decades in the 70's 80s and 90s lots of crime and such. And also missed the whole New south spark that set cities like Raleigh, Charlotte, Nashville, Austin and even Orlando ablaze so it could be time for them to catch up. It's definitely possible. The catch will be the governing body of the city, Richmond and Virginia overall have very old-timey ways of doing things. That whole commonwealth mentality so time will tell if they are as open minded to large scale projects the way the other metros have been.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:02 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,575 times
Another study to be taken with a pinch of - you know what -

https://www.gobankingrates.com/makin...iggest-cities/

Btw, it really does not matter what you earn anywhere - it matters how much is left over each month.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:07 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
I'm surprised to see Raleigh dominating this poll. I always just assumed it was a suburban-oriented sort of city, but I guess it must be rapidly densifying. Good for Raleigh!

Old 12-05-2019, 07:51 AM

402 posts, read 369,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Surprised to not see any Florida cities on this poll, considering the ridiculous population growth we have had. Orlando and Tampa are two of the fastest growing cities in the country.
Tampa absolutely should be on this list. Dallas and Houston area already "there".

Old 12-05-2019, 09:15 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm surprised to see Raleigh dominating this poll. I always just assumed it was a suburban-oriented sort of city, but I guess it must be rapidly densifying. Good for Raleigh!
It is still in many ways, but about 10 years ago downtown started coming out of its 90s funk. At the same time a suburban mall began converting to a mixed use development. Now both areas are beginning to capitalize on years of groundwork, and seem to be getting the attention that used to go to the Park. The ex-mall North Hills is now pushing to be one of the largest skylines in the state.

I think some of the expectations are also coming from the fact that it is moving people in at a similar rate to Nashville and Austin, but hasn’t got the same heat as those. Partly because it’s biggest job engine had been in an office park outside town, and partly because Durham was close enough to siphon off from. But the last 10 years has shown the Raleigh-side of the metro increasing the gap as well as businesses and people rediscovering the appeal of downtown. So I suspect Raleigh is on the cusp of what happened in other boomtowns last decade.

Last edited by Heel82; 12-05-2019 at 09:49 AM..

Old 12-05-2019, 05:07 PM

617 posts, read 551,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Raleigh is about to take off. I’m so proud of my hometown!

https://www.wral.com/dozens-of-offic...ture/18811926/

Old 12-06-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
Raleigh is about to take off. I’m so proud of my hometown!

https://www.wral.com/dozens-of-offic...ture/18811926/
If one really thinks of what this thread is asking, and if one knows what's on the near horizon for Raleigh, it's really not difficult to understand why Raleigh is leading this poll. There's just an enormous amount of energy in the development pipeline, with some of that pipeline already in construction. Additionally, the new city council has already proven on their first day that they intend to make that pipeline a reality during their tenure. Before the decade is over, it's already really easy to imagine at least 6 multi-tower developments in downtown alone: Smoky Hollow (phases 1 & 2 already deep into construction), Raleigh Crossing (already broken ground), South Saunders PUD (Zoning change approved by the city council), Seaboard Station, Downtown South including a soccer stadium, and Nexus. This list doesn't even include several other towers and projects on the boards like Raleigh Union Station bus (2 towers), CAM block redevelopment, 400Hillsborough tower, Edison office tower, 121 Fayetteville tower, Zimmer tower, and all of the development that continues to happen at North Hills/Midtown a few miles north of downtown.
Given the context of where Raleigh is now, this "take-off" is going to be extremely impactful and redefining for the city.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:10 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Surprised to not see any Florida cities on this poll, considering the ridiculous population growth we have had. Orlando and Tampa are two of the fastest growing cities in the country.
Right... Not even really just "growing," but exploding. Each "downtown" is quite literally doubling in size.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Right... Not even really just "growing," but exploding. Each "downtown" is quite literally doubling in size.
As someone who splits time between Raleigh and Miami, I understand what you mean. In Miami in particular, the amount of development in its core has been staggering. However, that's largely been a product of our current decade, not the next one. IMO, Miami "took off" this decade while Raleigh will take off in the 2020's.
Unfortunately, Miami's ascendance has largely been ignored/overshadowed/dismissed on a regular basis, and often by people on C-D Forums who have a dismissive attitude toward anything Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City