Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami vs Philadelphia
Miami 69 43.13%
Philadelphia 91 56.88%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 05:22 AM

3,534 posts, read 2,326,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Agreed. In addition to Europe, Caribbean and Latin America there is non stop service to Tel Aviv, Istanbul, and Qatar...one can drive 35 minutes north and fly nonstop on Emirates to Dubai out of Ft Lauderdale.

For a short (or longer) vacation, the cruise capital of the world is in Miami—10+ minutes away from downtown or the beach.. Look forward to welcoming Virgin’s first entry into the cruise market starting next spring.

Pretty unique to be able to hit 30+ different countries within 1-3 hours.
I give credit where credit is due lol. Outside of Toronto, NYC and maybe LA or SF.. Miami is probable the most culturally diverse city on the continent.

I personally think people really underestimate the importance of geographic location when it comes to cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 06:25 AM

14,180 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I give credit where credit is due lol. Outside of Toronto, NYC and maybe LA or SF.. Miami is probable the most culturally diverse city on the continent.

I personally think people really underestimate the importance of geographic location when it comes to cities.
San Francisco is notably lacking in Africans/African-Americans (though you can find the latter across the bay in Oakland).

The Houstonians might wish to dispute the most-culturally-diverse claim too, or rather, would argue that they too belong in that select club.

But yes, just as location matters to people shopping for houses, so it also matters for how cities perform.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:43 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
One thing has me scratching my head on this thread from some responses. Many have cited how there are far more economic advancement opportunities, and presumably higher earnings potential, in Philly v Miami. Yet some/many of the very same posters are focused on lower cost and affordability of Philly, citing how expensive Miami is. I have to question, then, how much “better” these opportunities are if you are somehow limited from being able to move to and afford more expensive areas—not just Miami but also NYC, CA, etc because of COL factors. I would expect salaries in a competitive Northeast City would allow you to move almost anywhere, with Manhattan being the one possible exception. If not, then is Philly the Dallas or Atlanta of the Northeast—good place where COL and QOL are in sync yet more difficult, financially, to move to other desirable but more expensive cities in the nation?

I am coming from the other end of the spectrum. I moved from expensive, but well paying, CA to Miami which is actually a little less expensive (though I moved for lifestyle/excitement rather than financial reasons).

Are all of you natives who prefer a smaller and scaled down version of NYC or do the opportunities not afford you the ability to transfer and/or seek other opportunities in more expensive areas?...in the case of Miami v NYC, there is a climate difference and preference to take into account. Not all NY’ers move to Miami when they are retired. Some relocate and bring their jobs with them and/or find other opportunities. Any reason(s) that would prevent a person from PA from doing the same?...since we are talking about MSA, if Miami is not your thing there is also Palm Beach County. A person from NYC could write their ticket and work, or afford, almost anywhere in the country. I would expect someone from another Northeast city (Boston, Philly) to almost be in a similar boat—or do I have flawed logic? Again, I have run into plenty of medical, law, small business owners, and finance people here in Miami who are doing quite well (I spend my days in the city, not at a country club).

From a cost perspective, I am paying $3300/mo for a very nicely furnished 2BR 2BA, 32nd floor, 10 year old, 1350 sq ft condo with city and partial water views (including of the cruise ship port) in the heart of Brickell....can’t speak for Philly but in San Diego the same condo would run an extra $1000/month plus an extra $1600, or more, in state income taxes. That’s a difference of $30K/year...LA, SF and NYC are an even bigger difference. Curious how Philly would fare but my guess is that it, along with Miami, are bargains compared to their natural rival cities. This savings is just an added bonus to my preferred lifestyle.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-09-2019 at 07:55 AM..

Old 12-09-2019, 06:53 AM

3,534 posts, read 2,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
San Francisco is notably lacking in Africans/African-Americans (though you can find the latter across the bay in Oakland).

The Houstonians might wish to dispute the most-culturally-diverse claim too, or rather, would argue that they too belong in that select club.

But yes, just as location matters to people shopping for houses, so it also matters for how cities perform.
Yeah I definitely include Houston in that club as well. The city just slipped my mind lol

I love cultural/ethnic/racial melting pots

Old 12-09-2019, 07:00 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
As far a living,, Philly and it's burbs all the way... Fun-- Miami and you know it!!!

Old 12-09-2019, 08:33 AM

1,168 posts, read 777,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Distinction of local culture: Philadelphia
More distinct than Miami? I don't think so.

I know Philadelphia is a historical gem, but in terms of present day culture my mind pretty much draws a blank. Every other city in the Boswash corridor seems to have more of an identity.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:45 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
More distinct than Miami? I don't think so.

I know Philadelphia is a historical gem, but in terms of present day culture my mind pretty much draws a blank. Every other city in the Boswash corridor seems to have more of an identity.
You're not incorrect in terms of pop. culture/knowledge of the broader population, but for those actually familiar with Philly, it's a very distinct place with an incredible sense of identity. One of the strongest "vibes" you'll actually ever get from a city.

It's just that identity is often not as well-known.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:02 AM

1,168 posts, read 777,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
You're not incorrect in terms of pop. culture/knowledge of the broader population, but for those actually familiar with Philly, it's a very distinct place with an incredible sense of identity. One of the strongest "vibes" you'll actually ever get from a city.

It's just that identity is often not as well-known.
I'm not denying that it has its own identity. Every city does.

If one has lived in Philadelphia, then of course they'll be an expert on the local "vibe", but if they've also lived in Miami, I'd imagine that they'd insist the latter was the more distinct place for obvious reasons.

I know PHI is a cool city, but being wedged in between the nation's capital and the nation's largest city does make it sort of an afterthought. I love cheese steaks though.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:49 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
A lot of people are moving to Philadelphia-its not all slums.

From what I gather miami slums have less to offer and honestly seem less appealing if I had to pick one over the other.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:54 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
More people moved to FL than any other state last year—not all retirees, either.

If one’s life ambition is to be a fast food worker or Uber driver and shoot for living in a slum, I agree—you can do better than Miami. Curious how many, if any, fit that description here on CD. Either that or see if cities are still giving out one way bus tickets to CA.

Pre-retirement, it seems more middle class people are moving to cities like Phila for cost reasons/ more bang for the buck whereas more wealthy pre-retirement people are fleeing Northeast and CA high tax states/SALT limits for FL and elsewhere with no state income tax. I say pre-retirement because they can afford to do it now vs having to wait until retired, when even more relocate for cost/tax and weather reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
A lot of people are moving to Philadelphia-its not all slums.

From what I gather miami slums have less to offer and honestly seem less appealing if I had to pick one over the other.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-09-2019 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City