Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is best overall in the 2020's
Virginia 110 62.50%
Georgia 66 37.50%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 07:43 AM

4,397 posts, read 4,286,737 times

Advertisements

Georgia has the best city, but as an overall state probably Virginia. Georgia definitely still feels like Atlanta and the rest of the state. Virginia had many good unique areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 07:55 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Georgia in all categories except for maybe the K-12 education. Universities are a tie.
2020 Top 100 Public Universities:

Georgia
#5 Georgia Institute of Technology
#16 University of Georgia
(Georgia State just outside at #101)

(Private- Emory national rankings #22)

Virginia
#4 University of Virginia
#12 College of William and Mary
#30 Virginia Tech
#72 George Mason University
#76 Virginia Commonwealth University

(Private- University of Richmond, Washington and Lee University both top 60)

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...ies/top-public

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...-united-states

Old 12-19-2019, 08:30 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,080,745 times
I love Savannah and Atlanta, but I'm giving this to VA overall. Better climate, better access to skiing, and more cities to choose from.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:52 AM

69 posts, read 78,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Agreed. That said, if GA can get its inequality issues, school issues, QOL and political issues on the right track, it definitely could give VA a run for its money.

VA Governor was in Black Face multiple times. It's a tie at best.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:55 AM

1,023 posts, read 911,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaYards View Post
VA Governor was in Black Face multiple times. It's a tie at best.
While embarrassing, it doesn't affect policy in the least. Virginia is definitely a more progressive state.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:52 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
While embarrassing, it doesn't affect policy in the least. Virginia is definitely a more progressive state.
I agree. I would choose Virginia. It is in better shape and more balanced. I like the progress.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:47 AM

6,554 posts, read 12,040,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Georgia has the best city, but as an overall state probably Virginia. Georgia definitely still feels like Atlanta and the rest of the state. Virginia had many good unique areas.
If you included the DC suburbs such as Arlington and Alexandria then that would give VA an edge. I just wasn't a big fan of the Norfolk/VA Beach area. I liked the historical peninsula though (Williamsburg and Jamestown). Richmond was just ok. I never got a chance to go to the Shenandoah area but it looks beautiful.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:07 PM

509 posts, read 433,062 times
Interesting comparison here. I grew up in Savannah, GA and lived there until the age of 19 before going onto to college. I have lived in Virginia for 7.5 years now and my job brings me all around the Commonwealth. I still go to Georgia every year and will actually be in Savannah in January to see family and last visited Atlanta a few years ago.

One thing, Virginia in general is far ahead in intercity passenger rail and intercity bus. Based on that comparison alone, Virginia easily wins. I never ever took Amtrak when I grew up in Savannah (nor did any of my family), but taking the Northeast Regional here in Lynchburg and Richmond to DC and NYC or even day trips to Cville is very popular and now I take the train about once a month. The state has also launched a very successful intercity bus from Radford to DC (Virginia Breeze) and will soon be adding two more Breeze services in the state on RTE 58 and RTE 29 next year. Passenger rail is also growing here with recent expansions to Roanoke and Norfolk and planned additional daily trains in the near future between Richmond/Roanoke up to DC. Even an east-west rail service is now in the planning phase and the DC - RVA high speed rail is further along in planning than high speed rail initiatives in GA.

Largely, Virginia is more bikeable and has better programs supporting bicycling. Though bicycling in downtown Savannah where I grew up and certain spots in Atlanta like the BeltLine and near universities is great, it pales in comparison to what Virginia has (especially with multiuse trails around the state like the Virginia Capital Trail and localities in NOVA). This even proven in the 2019 ranking of most bike friendly states where Virginia is ranked 9th and Georgia is 19th. It feels safer to bike on roads in Virginia than Georgia and I have cycled around both states extensively.

Economy. With Amazon HQ2 coming we may see some tech growth spreading throughout the state which will help to diversify the state economy which has long been tied to agriculture, education, the government, and the military.

I do envy the fact that Georgia has Atlanta, but for me I definitely prefer DC and it is actually easier to get there from where I live (even without having to drive) than when I lived in Savannah and would take family trips up to Atlanta.

Virginia has a much better brewery scene which is very important to me. RVA dominates any Georgia city when it comes to great breweries and there really isn't anything like RTE 151 in Georgia. I do however envy the to-go cup acceptance in downtown Savannah.

Georgia in general I would argue has better nightlife. It is getting better in Virginia, but Atlanta and Savannah is just way ahead here IMO.

I was fortunate enough to have gone to great schools in Georgia (Montessori charter school for elementary and Savannah Arts Academy for HS) and don't have kids in Virginia so I can't really argue for one state or the other. My education in Georgia was superb, but I am sure schools are great in Virginia too.

Quality of life in my case is better in Virginia than it would have been in Savannah. I work for state government in Virginia and make about 25% more and get more time off and benefits than my counterparts in Georgia in the same field with similar levels of experience.

In the end I love both states and there are aspects of Georgia that I wish we had here in Virginia, but in the end I have made Virginia home and I think it is just a better place overall to live for me (but of course could be very different for others).

Old 12-19-2019, 12:20 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,531,867 times
This is a good comparison. Overall, I give a slight edge to Virginia for a better balanced urban core and it's location to DC and the NE.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:52 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcook1 View Post
One thing, Virginia in general is far ahead in intercity passenger rail and intercity bus. Based on that comparison alone, Virginia easily wins. I never ever took Amtrak when I grew up in Savannah (nor did any of my family), but taking the Northeast Regional here in Lynchburg and Richmond to DC and NYC or even day trips to Cville is very popular and now I take the train about once a month. The state has also launched a very successful intercity bus from Radford to DC (Virginia Breeze) and will soon be adding two more Breeze services in the state on RTE 58 and RTE 29 next year. Passenger rail is also growing here with recent expansions to Roanoke and Norfolk and planned additional daily trains in the near future between Richmond/Roanoke up to DC. Even an east-west rail service is now in the planning phase and the DC - RVA high speed rail is further along in planning than high speed rail initiatives in GA.

Largely, Virginia is more bikeable and has better programs supporting bicycling. Though bicycling in downtown Savannah where I grew up and certain spots in Atlanta like the BeltLine and near universities is great, it pales in comparison to what Virginia has (especially with multiuse trails around the state like the Virginia Capital Trail and localities in NOVA). This even proven in the 2019 ranking of most bike friendly states where Virginia is ranked 9th and Georgia is 19th. It feels safer to bike on roads in Virginia than Georgia and I have cycled around both states extensively.
Virginia is very forward-thinking with regards to transportation. The state and its cities have advanced a number of key initiatives worthy of recognition:
  • Long Bridge (expand rail capacity south of DC...100% increase in Amtrak capacity, 75% increase in commuter rail capacity)
  • Silver Line Phase II (innovative funding mechanism)
  • Reagan-National Capital Airport redesign/expansion
  • Richmond GRTC Pulse BRT (very successful
  • S-P-A-C-E-P-O-R-T
  • Port of Virginia (Hampton Roads) massive expansion
  • Three Amtrak inter-city lines (currently studying expansion to Bristol and new east-west corridor)
  • I-66 tolling system
  • I-495/I-95/I-395 tolling systems
  • Metrorail improvements to land Amazon (Crystal City 2nd entrance, new Potomac Yard station)
All projects that have been completed or are currently in progress.

Quote:
Quality of life in my case is better in Virginia than it would have been in Savannah. I work for state government in Virginia and make about 25% more and get more time off and benefits than my counterparts in Georgia in the same field with similar levels of experience.
Good for you! Virginia pays its public servants well, which attracts a competent workforce. Everyone has gripes about their state government, but I have to say that Virginia overall is pretty efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City