Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is best overall in the 2020's
Virginia 110 62.50%
Georgia 66 37.50%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 06:03 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Regardless, someone saying nice things about Savannah relative to other cities shouldn’t shock anyone. It has many objectively great qualities, even over a place like Richmond.
No one is shocked by people saying nice things about Savannah relative to other cities, but no one really did that. It was just "Savannah beats every city in Virginia" with no actual reference to its qualities. In terms of beauty--which is subjective--I do believe that Savannah excels over any Virginia city, at least the ones I've visited and am most familiar with. And I could readily understand someone saying Savannah is more fun than any VA city. But I'd like to know the criteria for Savannah beating any Virginia city for those who said or implied such. In terms of objective qualities that Savannah has over Richmond, the only thing I can think of is open spaces/urban design. Savannah is really tops in the nation for that. And maybe cuisine...otherwise, I'm not quite seeing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 06:07 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
What objective qualities does Savannah have over Richmond?
The main thing about Savannah is that it's picturesque and has some good food. I'd say just about everything else is better in Richmond. Richmond also has a lot of character with some picturesque neighborhoods, but maybe not as unique as Savannah. Food is surprisingly good in Richmond too.

Frankly, I'm not sure how Savannah could objectively compete with Richmond on any measure other that the two I mentioned. Savannah isn't like Charleston or New Orleans, which combine the old world charm with impressive industries and bigger city amenities.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:52 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Virginia.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:59 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Savannah objectivity boasts warmer winters, better access to the beach, cheaper cost of living, less urban, better city design, more Southern.

Old 12-22-2019, 11:11 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Savannah and Alexandria are in the same category of city.
No I wouldnt say that at all.Savannah is a destination.Alexandria is not.
Savannah is fun.Alexandria is not.No one says "lets take a trip to Alexandria". They do for Savannah.I went last year and it was so much fun. Alexandria is nice,historical and tidy but Savannah is has a richness in culture that Alexandria just doent have

Old 12-22-2019, 11:33 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Savannah objectivity boasts warmer winters, better access to the beach, cheaper cost of living, less urban, better city design, more Southern.
weather is subjective.Some might say humidity in Savannah is much worse and uncomfortable.Southern also subjective .

Old 12-22-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
weather is subjective.Some might say humidity in Savannah is much worse and uncomfortable.Southern also subjective .
Your opinion on those things is subjective. But Savannah has warmer winters objectively.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:20 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Savannah against where? Because the VA beach area has easy access to beaches, Roanoke/Lynchburg has a low cost of living, and "city design" is subjective if you mean aesthetically which then Alexandria could give Savannah and a good matchup, and would just be a matter of preference unless you're going off of some measurable specifics... (I personally love Savannah).

Either way, this isnt about specific cities so as a state VA>GA. VA as a state is more refined imo with a higher quality of life since it ranks above GA in most metrics (economic mobility, HDI, life expectancy, education attainment, % passport holders, etc).

Old 12-22-2019, 04:21 PM

It was specifically Savannah vs Richmond.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:34 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
No I wouldnt say that at all.Savannah is a destination.Alexandria is not.
Savannah is fun.Alexandria is not.No one says "lets take a trip to Alexandria". They do for Savannah.I went last year and it was so much fun. Alexandria is nice,historical and tidy but Savannah is has a richness in culture that Alexandria just doent have
They are different types of cities to be sure, but they are about as closely matched as you can get for cities within their respective states (and Portsmouth also). Alexandria isn't a destination within itself because it's part of the DC metro and very intertwined with it, but it has a good bit to see and do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City