Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2022, 07:15 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Wow, horrible claim there buddy. Charleston is way wealthier than New Orleans.
I’m not defending the poster’s comparison, but I don’t think that he/she was referring to wealth when saying that Charleston is a “poor man’s version” of New Orleans. I’m guessing he was really indicating it is a “smaller version” (poor in the sense that it may have less amenities).

Again, I’m not saying that is true, but just pointing out that I don’t think his comment was related to “wealth.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 07:30 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
And just what are you talking about here? You're not making sense. Who exactly "thirst[s] to dominate or just take over every thread with the same rhetoric?" Is it you? It sounds that way to me.

You don't have to agree with what everyone posts, but your histrionics are uncalled for. If I or others don't think Baltimore qualifies as a "poor man's version" of Philadelphia, respond to why you disagree, or deal with it.

At the end of the day, it's a forum in which we are supposed to discuss topics. You aren't the forum police re: who is "dominating" or "taking over the thread with the same rhetoric." It sounds like you dislike posters from Philadelphia, which isn't very nice.

C'mon now. I made actual points about why Baltimore is not nearly as similar to Philadelphia as so many think it is. It's a forum in which debate is permitted.
Looking too far into the thread. What would you say poor man's Philly? Wilmington, Chester PA??

Old 10-25-2022, 07:34 AM

702 posts, read 443,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Wow, horrible claim there buddy. Charleston is way wealthier than New Orleans.
I didn't think we were talking directly about wealth when we were doing these "poor man's" comparisons. Poor in this case can mean smaller less vibrant cities that have similar vibes and setups to the comparison city. That's true in the case of all the cities I mentioned except Nashville which is obviously smaller than Vegas and not really more vibrant than Vegas except when it comes to the business economic climate.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:41 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Chattanooga is a poor man's Knoxville
This is not really the case, at all. If it were 20 years ago, I would agree somewhat. But today, Chattanooga is developing quite rapidly, and has many huge developments on the table that are happening/going to happen with large downtown areas/areas surrounding downtown.

Chattanooga has a strong business climate with one of the fastest internet speeds in the country. Chattanooga has a great quality of life with all of the outdoor access so close to the city. Plus, Chattanooga's downtown is a bit more lively and definitely a bigger draw for tourists and residents, than Knoxville.

Both cities are close, but I would actually say Chattanooga has surpassed Knoxville in desirability to live, especially in the past several years.

Old 10-25-2022, 11:56 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Baltimore isn't a poor man's version of any city. There's really no other city to it except maybe Norfolk. I don't know why people are saying Philly and Baltimore. The two cities are nothing alike, ditto for DC.

Old 10-25-2022, 12:48 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
And just what are you talking about here? You're not making sense. Who exactly "thirst[s] to dominate or just take over every thread with the same rhetoric?" Is it you? It sounds that way to me.

You don't have to agree with what everyone posts, but your histrionics are uncalled for. If I or others don't think Baltimore qualifies as a "poor man's version" of Philadelphia, respond to why you disagree, or deal with it.

At the end of the day, it's a forum in which we are supposed to discuss topics. You aren't the forum police re: who is "dominating" or "taking over the thread with the same rhetoric." It sounds like you dislike posters from Philadelphia, which isn't very nice.

C'mon now. I made actual points about why Baltimore is not nearly as similar to Philadelphia as so many think it is. It's a forum in which debate is permitted.

lol, histrionics? Hating Philly posters? yeah I think you've misread about everything I've stated. Nonetheless, all I've seen is a bunch of people claiming one city "doesn't talk or think about another city", as if that's disqualifies a comparison to being considered a "poor mans" version of another.

Row home dominated urban centers, the two largest in the country. The largest cities in their respective states, founded in colonial period prior to the US existence on major body of water, both originated with strong ethnic White enclaves (although greater numbers in Philly), similar percent share in Catholic to Protestant numbers still today. Two cities both with a "Little Italy/Italian Market" type area, two cities both with strong Black histories and influential African Americans across many points in history. Both cities with numerous significant events in US history taking place in prior colonial periods, (signing of the Declaration of Independence, creation of the Star Spangled Banner). Two of the cheapest "big cities" to find housing on the East Coast still today. Two cities with light-rail/streetcar systems, coupled by having a subway system. Two cities with solidly promising food scenes and often underrated, two solidly blue collar, and known for being "tough nose" Democratic cities, great medical institutions in both, mid-Atlantic weather in both not identical, but very similar.

I haven't even touched on things like the Black accent, club music, or slang terms, of which there are many similarities, neither the bike/moped culture that permeates the mostly Black youth of both places. Sure the cities have their obvious differences, and nuances, as do all city comparison. I really am not even honed in on the actual "similarities" like you guys are, I'm speaking more on the juxtaposition of what the two cities are, and they obviously stand on their own as something unique. But let's cease with the "city X" is being picked on sentiment here.

Now please tell me how that is "hating on Philly", and rather not providing context to why Baltimore can be aligned to be described as a "poor mans" version of Philadelphia? People seem a bit more worried about "oh let me defend my city, so I won't be associated with city Y", rather than actually take the context of the OP, and stay objective. And I definitely wasn't even signaling any individual out, which includes you.

Old 10-25-2022, 01:01 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore isn't a poor man's version of any city. There's really no other city to it except maybe Norfolk. I don't know why people are saying Philly and Baltimore. The two cities are nothing alike, ditto for DC.
Lol. You just wanna claim the South. How would Baltimore be a poor man's version of Norfolk, and not the other way around?

There's similarities in ALL the mid-Atlantic cities, that includes Baltimore-Philly, Baltimore-Norfolk, DC-Baltimore, Richmond-DC, DC-Philly-Baltimore, Wilmington-Baltimore, Philly-Wilmington. ALL of them are comparable, because they are all part of the same region of the country. They ALL cousins. We'R One, you're from Bmore, you should know that...

Old 10-25-2022, 03:19 PM

702 posts, read 443,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
This is not really the case, at all. If it were 20 years ago, I would agree somewhat. But today, Chattanooga is developing quite rapidly, and has many huge developments on the table that are happening/going to happen with large downtown areas/areas surrounding downtown.

Chattanooga has a strong business climate with one of the fastest internet speeds in the country. Chattanooga has a great quality of life with all of the outdoor access so close to the city. Plus, Chattanooga's downtown is a bit more lively and definitely a bigger draw for tourists and residents, than Knoxville.

Both cities are close, but I would actually say Chattanooga has surpassed Knoxville in desirability to live, especially in the past several years.
Chattanooga seems similar to Huntsville to me though totally different type economies. To me Chattanooga's downtown didn't seem significantly more lively than Knoxville, obviously Chattanooga has more tourist attractions so that may make the difference but outside of that downtown Knoxville seemed to be a decent size.

Last edited by MichiganderTexan; 10-25-2022 at 03:58 PM..

Old 10-25-2022, 03:22 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,825,814 times
Bombay Beach, Ca. A poor man's version of Waikiki Beach, Hi.

https://www.californiacuriosities.com/bombay-beach/

Last edited by Futuremauian; 10-25-2022 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Added a link

Old 10-25-2022, 04:11 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol. You just wanna claim the South. How would Baltimore be a poor man's version of Norfolk, and not the other way around?

There's similarities in ALL the mid-Atlantic cities, that includes Baltimore-Philly, Baltimore-Norfolk, DC-Baltimore, Richmond-DC, DC-Philly-Baltimore, Wilmington-Baltimore, Philly-Wilmington. ALL of them are comparable, because they are all part of the same region of the country. They ALL cousins. We'R One, you're from Bmore, you should know that...
You know me well enough to know I'm not claiming another city. You also know that us Baltimoreans don't even claim the state that we're in. I claim the south because I'm from the south. I not saying that Baltimore is a poor man's Norfolk, I'm saying that if there was a city most similar to Baltimore, it would be Norfolk. Philly and Wilmington are nothing like Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City