Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2022, 12:41 PM

232 posts, read 189,340 times

Advertisements

Is Montreal as poor man's Boston, or is Boston a poor man's Montreal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 12:51 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
Is Montreal as poor man's Boston, or is Boston a poor man's Montreal?

Geographically probably the closest, but I didn't think Montreal was anything like Boston.

IMO Providence fits as a better example of a Poor Man's Boston.

I probably already said this in the thread, but Baltimore being a Poor Man's version of Philly isn't really right either. Wilmington, DE is the answer imo.

Old 10-21-2022, 01:21 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Baltimore > Philly
Charlotte > Atlanta

Old 10-21-2022, 01:32 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Baltimore > Philly
Yeah, Philadelphia's harbor really makes for a good comparison

Is there anything funnier than how DC posters ALWAYS want to write out CSA totals and stuff and then turn around and pretend their is no cultural connection between it and baltimore?

Old 10-21-2022, 04:12 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

Is there anything funnier than how DC posters ALWAYS want to write out CSA totals and stuff and then turn around and pretend their is no cultural connection between it and baltimore?
They love to try to connect Baltimore to Philly since it’s in the Northeast and Baltimore isn’t. Philadelphians don’t ever even think about Baltimore. Whenever it comes to the comparisons it’s always DC/Baltimore posters who try to connect Baltimore to Philly in comparisons. Philly posters don’t think about Baltimore when these comparisons come up.

Old 10-21-2022, 08:17 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

No you are conflating two separate topics that have nothing to do with one another. I'm sure you haven't seen it, but I've actually started an exact thread on this, as to why I believe DC/Baltimore is the most unique CSA region in the country due to your exact point. The two cities IMO are the most distinctive in one combined metro in the nation if you ask me. But that can be discussed over there.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...ashington.html

The OP never mentioned cities needing to be a carbon copy of one another. DC and Baltimore have similarities yes, but no one would ever confuse either one as a poor man's version of the other. Is white collar/international transplant DC with fancy Michelin starred restaurants, a poor mans version of historically blue collar, and older ethnic enclave driven Baltimore, with more foodie driven local mom and pop eateries etc? The harbor of Baltimore, and Center City Philadelphia are the bigger differences between the cities, but again for lack of better wording the thread is about "poor mans version", not exact clone, and not that Baltimore is "poor', but it's big bro/sis is still Philly.

Baltimore:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2738...7i16384!8i8192

Philly:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9452...7i16384!8i8192

And Wilmington might as well be baby Baltimore .

Old 10-22-2022, 05:20 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
No you are conflating two separate topics that have nothing to do with one another. I'm sure you haven't seen it, but I've actually started an exact thread on this, as to why I believe DC/Baltimore is the most unique CSA region in the country due to your exact point. The two cities IMO are the most distinctive in one combined metro in the nation if you ask me. But that can be discussed over there.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...ashington.html

The OP never mentioned cities needing to be a carbon copy of one another. DC and Baltimore have similarities yes, but no one would ever confuse either one as a poor man's version of the other. Is white collar/international transplant DC with fancy Michelin starred restaurants, a poor mans version of historically blue collar, and older ethnic enclave driven Baltimore, with more foodie driven local mom and pop eateries etc? The harbor of Baltimore, and Center City Philadelphia are the bigger differences between the cities, but again for lack of better wording the thread is about "poor mans version", not exact clone, and not that Baltimore is "poor', but it's big bro/sis is still Philly.

Baltimore:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2738...7i16384!8i8192

Philly:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9452...7i16384!8i8192

And Wilmington might as well be baby Baltimore .
Having lived in Philly for 2 years, literally nobody there thinks of Baltimore as it’s “little bro/sis.” The only people who say this are from Baltimore/DC, nit the other way around. Baltimore is not on the mind of people in Philly, yet there is an obsession from the other side.

The tri-state (NY, NJ, and Philly) is where the connection is. Philly would consider itself the “big bro/sis” to Wilmington.

Old 10-22-2022, 10:00 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Medium rent is actually slightly more expensive in Baltimore than it is in Philly as of 2022.

Their biggest difference is quantitative offerings is due to the size disparity and public transportation. At parity they are extremely similar to each other economically & socially.
Many of Baltimore's neighborhoods have similarities with North and South Philly. The thing is, their downtowns are worlds apart (from a few different angles), and Baltimore has nothing like West Philadelphia nor Northwest Philadelphia. Philadelphia has nothing like the Inner Harbor.

Metro Philadelphia has a much higher GDP per capita than does does metro Baltimore. There are some parallels between the two cities, but a miniature-Philadelphia Baltimore is not.

Old 10-22-2022, 11:01 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Many of Baltimore's neighborhoods have similarities with North and South Philly. The thing is, their downtowns are worlds apart (from a few different angles), and Baltimore has nothing like West Philadelphia nor Northwest Philadelphia. Philadelphia has nothing like the Inner Harbor.
Their cores are definitely the biggest difference between the two and is the primary the feel so distinct. That being said Philly is a substantially larger city and with that comes the advantages of that population density that Baltimore simply lacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Metro Philadelphia has a much higher GDP per capita than does does metro Baltimore. There are some parallels between the two cities, but a miniature-Philadelphia Baltimore is not.
2022 estimates

Philly MSA GDP per capita:
$521.7 Billion / 6.23 million = $83,739

Baltimore MSA GDP per capita:
$238.6 Billion/ 2.85 million = $83,719

Economically they are virtually identical at parity. But I agree Baltimore & Philly are not carbon copies of each other at different scales

Old 10-23-2022, 12:56 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Greenville is a poor man's Mobile
In what universe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City