Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/metro feels bigger?
Miami 189 63.21%
Atlanta 62 20.74%
About the same 48 16.05%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 04:12 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I already created a counter to this another post.... While Miami is denser, And I stated feel more urban, but ATL the census urban data is largely misldeading. cause people tend think density is the same though out when it's not.

The census will continue the urban area as long as there 1 a sq mi, but outer areas are less dense than inner proportion, So the longer the urban area it's more off set the core actual density is.

Atlanta urban area is 4.5 million in 2,645 sq mi, but Atlanta already is about 4 million just 1,700 sq mi. Meaning the census include another 900 sq mi to Atlanta that only adds half a million, which drops Atlanta density dramatically.

Metro Atlanta has like 3 levels of lots sizes small dense neighborhoods, medium lots sizes neighborhoods, and huge lots neighborhoods. but it's not just the huge lot neighborhoods creating Atlanta forest.

Even denser neighborhoods Atlanta would still be for more forest than most American cities.

For example Miami would neighborhoods like this
Miami

Miami

Even with less space than that ^^^^ Atlanta would still have way more forest neighborhood.

Atlanta

Atlanta

Even in this new urbanism development built in the 2000's. It has a high density of planted trees in small urban area.

Atlanta

So yes Atlanta does have large lots forest neighborhoods but that's not the whole story to why Atlanta is forested, Even in denser no/small lot neighborhoods. Atlanta does amazing job of keeping/planting Trees.

I think people are not use to seeing so much trees in populated areas. I don't think metro Atlanta is meant to look more urban rather the metro is built to be scenic with in nature, How ever "feel" would be a different story 'feel" would more than just looks., because regardless of how Forested an neighborhood is it isn't going change the feel create by proximity to animities, entertainment, shopping, restaurants and population, that come with a larger metro. So I would say Miami metro area looks more urban but they "feel" about similar sizes. Out side of water/beach related stuff there nothing in Miami you can't get in Atlanta that's reflective of their sizes.

Miami neighborhoods remind me so much of LA neighborhoods.Especially the older inner city neighborhoods. I never liked the housing stock in those older neighborhoods in Miami.
People talk about SFH near downtown Atlanta but you have those in Miami also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Yeah but the census bureau also has a standard in place to bypass the issue that comes from standard density's limitation. They have the population-weighted density metric just for that purpose. It factors out the geographical barriers and measures the average density levels at which residents live in a built environment. It is based off of subareas.

What is population-weighted density?

The census bureau's own explanation of what population-weighted density is:

In summary, it is the average density level that a resident in any particular urbanized area lives in.

Population-weighted density is measured every 10 years following the census results since it is derived from the urbanized area metric.

Here were the Top 50 urbanized areas in the United States in 2010 by population-weighted density:

As it has been mentioned earlier on this thread, the Miami/Fort Lauderdale MSA and the Miami/Fort Lauderdale Urban Area (U.S. one) is almost completely maxed out. Meaning every pinch and sliver of land is more or less built out. I'd estimate that 96% of the entire MSA's developable land area is built out with the only semi-large swath remaining being the land just west of Highway 1 between Goulds and Florida City in Miami-Dade County.

I say that to point out that when the 2020 population-weighted density for urbanized areas comes out that Southeast Florida will be one of the few large metropolises actually gaining in density, just as it was in 2010. Almost all of its growth has been infill, so there wont be any more addition of land.

The lowest density in the Top 50 urbanized areas by population-weighted density is Pittsburgh, which comes in at #50 with a weighted density of 2,990 people per square mile. If you're wondering about Atlanta's weighted density then it is 2,173 people per square mile.

By Austin Contrarian:

By the time the 2020 information comes out, I fully expect Miami to move up to #7, up from #9. Miami has high population growth among the larger MSAs and its entire growth is almost 100% infill, which will add to the density since no new land area is being added in. Simply put, it's built out horizontally and is increasing density by going vertical. That's essentially the only way that Miami can grow in its urbanized area now.

For what it's worth, I think of Atlanta as a large metropolitan area. In the same vein I also believe that Atlanta will get larger, will infill and boost its central core to a higher density level, and that it will move up on the list of the largest MSAs in the United States, up from #9 to #8 very soon (within 1-3 years of time). I mean no harm by any of this. I just wanted to point this out.
This data is old and Atlanta has been infilling tremendously
There is no doubt in my mind that when the latest list comes out,Atlanta will have moved up considerably.
Atlanta will forever be known as sprawl city but the truth is its stopped sprawling almost a decade ago.
Notice the numbers of many of those cities are loosing density's they are sprawling more. Atlanta has been noted in several publications and articles as a leader and reversing its sprawl.
It simply isnt sprawling anymore and hasnt for awhile.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I am not really seeing it either. Especially not currently. Now had you mentioned the 80s and 90s...possibly.
Me eitherLOL
Him not explaining it doesnt help if he is the only one seeing it. I mean I think Miami Vice but im over 50. My younger Friends dont get it.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:16 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
This is where I list the vast pop cultural impact Miami has had over not just the US, but the world. Then you say something like 'Oh thats nothing look at Atlanta'. . .And back and forth we go.

Sorry, but that discussion has been beat to death on CD. If you don't see it, then nothing I say will change your mind.
I've not been privy to that particular discussion and am open to an argument for Miami here.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:59 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,602,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I've not been privy to that particular discussion and am open to an argument for Miami here.
Okay, will you agree to a format, for presenting your argument? I'm not interested in the usual long-winded back and forth posts that take place here. I'll make it simple, I promise.

Old 03-20-2020, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Okay, will you agree to a format, for presenting your argument? I'm not interested in the usual long-winded back and forth posts that take place here. I'll make it simple, I promise.
I thought Atlanta's role in pop culture was pretty obvious, being a huge hub of hip hop and R&B music and now as a big film/TV hub, it's having a noticeable impact there as well as The Walking Dead and various reality shows attest to. Atlanta's growing prominence in the hip hop industry in particular coincided with the growth of the genre to become the most popular type of music in the U.S.

From my perspective, it seems that Miami had more of a pop culture influence in years past so historically, I can see an argument for Miami. But for the past 20 years or so, I'd say it's been all Atlanta.

I'm also not interested in a pissing contest. It could very well be that Atlanta and Miami are two sides of the same pop culture coin, so to speak, and are perhaps closer to tied. I'm definitely open to hearing a case made for Miami though.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
It could very well be that Atlanta and Miami are two sides of the same pop culture coin, so to speak, and are perhaps closer to tied.
You honestly think that Atlanta could be as popular as Miami, among the wide spectrum of culture, across the world?

Old 03-20-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
You honestly think that Atlanta could be as popular as Miami, among the wide spectrum of culture, across the world?
I was only thinking in terms of U.S. pop culture currently, but seeing as though pop culture here plays a major role in shaping pop culture globally, there could be an argument for Atlanta in that respect as well. But for the most part, I'm considering the here (U.S.) and now (this century).

I'm aware that Miami is more globally connected than Atlanta and hosts some notable cultural events with attendees from various parts of the world, but I'm not sure if all of those things would fall under the category of pop culture. I'm open to another perspective though since I certainly don't claim to be an expert in pop culture, not even the armchair variety.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
But for the most part, I'm considering (this century).
You keep emphasizing this^

I guess you're unaware of the current 'Synthwave' music explosion thats heavily, if not entirely tied to the 'Miami Brand' of pop culture?

Also, the '3rd wave' of 'electro' music that emerged from Miami in the early part of the century. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro_(music)

As well as Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, being made in this century.

Last edited by jdaelectro; 03-20-2020 at 09:19 AM..

Old 03-20-2020, 09:55 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Quote:
You keep emphasizing this^

I guess you're unaware of the current 'Synthwave' music explosion thats heavily, if not entirely tied to the 'Miami Brand' of pop culture?

Also, the '3rd wave' of 'electro' music that emerged from Miami in the early part of the century. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro_(music)

As well as Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, being made in this century.
How about you put out a well-thought out argument instead of these condescending one-offs and making sarcastic demands that people don't write long-winded replies? Mutiny made a case for Atlanta, the least you can do is provide a more well-thought out response explaining why you think Miami contributes to pop culture more. You seem like you have a chip on your shoulder regarding why some people may perceive Atlanta as having more impact on pop culture than Miami for some reason instead of accepting the fact that everyone doesn't think the same way as you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City