Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/metro feels bigger?
Miami 189 63.21%
Atlanta 62 20.74%
About the same 48 16.05%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 05:05 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Although I actually really do like EDM, I'm not all that familiar with its history and development but I know it's big and it makes sense that Miami is a big hub for it given the type of city it is.
If you're interested I could point you to some interesting content, But I think that would fall into the realm of being off topic.

Quote:
The reason I'm emphasizing the present in terms of pop culture influence isn't so much because Miami has been completely absent
Well, you did say its been 'All Atlanta'
Quote:
since the turn of the century, Atlanta's pop culture profile has risen significantly, particularly in the film/TV industry,
There's no denying that.
Quote:
Also in terms of hip hop, back in the 90s, Atlanta and Miami were basically equally significant but with the shift of much of the industry to Atlanta, it came to outshine Miami there also.
I think thats subjective, as this was still the era before wide spread internet access. Atlanta has currently blown up in the Hip-Hop world, no doubt, but that is a symptom of the times. The Atlanta Hip-Hop/Trap scene is essentially standing on the shoulders of the scenes that came before it, namely the 'Crunk' and 'Miami Bass' scenes, and those scenes are standing on the shoulders of the New York and LA Hip-Hop scenes. The whole 'Trap' trend is just a victim of circumstance. Its so noticeable because its getting streamed on demand to every dumb kid with a smart phone 24/7. Its not good Hip-Hop though, have you listened to that crap?
Quote:
And in Atlanta, you actually have the merging of these two industries with so many rappers and singers appearing in TV shows and films--or even having their own TV series, like Donald Glover/Childish Gambino--which somewhat multiplies the pop culture effect.
I only know of The Walking Dead, which I don't think anyone associates with Atlanta, so thanks for telling me about those other shows. Then there's the 'Real Housewives', more garbage that will be forgotten 20 years from now.

Quote:
I know that one's perspective here will be shaped by his/her preferences and what one pays attention to, but my scope was more domestic and current. There is an argument for Miami having more pop culture influence internationally and Atlanta domestically, with, of course, some overlap. Much of it boils down to both cities being epicenters for major ethnic groups that create and export a lot of America's culture but unless you are fairly familiar with the culture in each city, you probably wouldn't know the pop culture elements that come from either Miami or Atlanta.
I agree

Quote:
I know your examples weren't exhaustive, but I'm now inclined to call it a tie when it comes to the pop culture category.
Fair enough, I just think if we were to stack all of the pop culture that affected and influenced the globe across the decades, end on end, between these two cities, Miami would come out on top.

Last edited by jdaelectro; 03-20-2020 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Umm if "3rd Wave of electro" was so big,why is there no words in the Wiki link you posted like say Trap music in Atlanta
I noticed that as well. It didn't let me post the full link, with the parentheses. Click the link then click where it says: Did you mean Electro (Music)? Then refer to the last paragraph in the article for the 3rd wave reference. As an aside, this wasn't meant to show that it was more significant than anything that is happening in Atlanta, but it was just to show that Miami hasn't fallen off the map culturally speaking in this century. Please keep this in context.

Quote:
So will EDM is huge and Miami is a huge market and prooving grounds for the Genre,How is it any more than Trap right out of Atlanta where the biggest names in music period have done music using the style. I strongly think Atlanta is more influential but Miami is more well known.
Follow the Bread Crumbs. Trap was influenced by Crunk and Miami Bass. So, all the people that were influenced by 'Trap', were essentially influenced by much more talented people in Miami and Memphis. And, if you really want to follow the Bread Crumbs, they lead all the way back to 4 German guys called Kraftwerk. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraftwerk

Quote:
You have the likes of Tyler Perry Studios,Pinewwod etc all shooting movies in Atlanta and almost all of Tylers movies are set in Atlanta.
Tyler Perry? oh yes, what talent. He'll be forgotten in 20 years or less, yet they're still making media that encapsulates Miami in the 80's to this day.

Last edited by jdaelectro; 03-20-2020 at 05:41 PM..

Old 03-20-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Read over the thread last couple of days, was enjoying it until all the squabbling occurred. This is about which Feels bigger not culture
Did you read the OP?

Old 03-20-2020, 07:17 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
I noticed that as well. It didn't let me post the full link, with the parentheses. Click the link then click where it says: Did you mean Electro (Music)? Then refer to the last paragraph in the article for the 3rd wave reference. As an aside, this wasn't meant to show that it was more significant than anything that is happening in Atlanta, but it was just to show that Miami hasn't fallen off the map culturally speaking in this century. Please keep this in context.

Follow the Bread Crumbs. Trap was influenced by Crunk and Miami Bass. So, all the people that were influenced by 'Trap', were essentially influenced by much more talented people in Miami and Memphis. And, if you really want to follow the Bread Crumbs, they lead all the way back to 4 German guys called Kraftwerk. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraftwerk

Tyler Perry? oh yes, what talent. He'll be forgotten in 20 years or less, yet they're still making media that encapsulates Miami in the 80's to this day.
So we owe Trap to Miami and the world has it wrong even though a maybe half or more of rap for the last 20-30 years has come out of Atlanta or strong ties to it?
LOL
Ok
Yeh Tyler is laughing at people like you because he is undoubtedly one of the most influential people in Holllywood
Quote:
The Hollywood Reporter just released their list of 100 Most Powerful People in Entertainment and Tyler Perry was named 71 on the prestigious ranking.
Tyler Perry » Tyler Perry Named in Hollywood Reporter’s 100 Most Powerful People in Entertainment
Quote:
Tyler Perry Studios is the largest film production studio in the United States, and established Perry as the first African-American to outright own a major film production studio.
Tyler Perry is worth more tha half a billion dollars and owns a studio bigger than Disney,Paramont and Warner Bros combined on 330 acres in Atlanta.Its been in the news everywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eSUnCNgOME&t=300s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNm2FeYYj8

Old 03-20-2020, 09:14 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,291 times
Quote:
Did you read the OP?
No. I just read the title and a couple of pages. Did the OP mention culture??

Old 03-20-2020, 10:30 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Well, you did say its been 'All Atlanta'
I didn't mean it hyperliterally, just like it wasn't 'All Miami' previously in a hyperliteral sense.

Quote:
I think thats subjective, as this was still the era before wide spread internet access. Atlanta has currently blown up in the Hip-Hop world, no doubt, but that is a symptom of the times.
Atlanta's status in hip hop goes far beyond all the advantages offered by the internet/social media though. The industry itself made a major shift towards Atlanta (not completely since NYC still has major clout in that regard) and I'd say that's essentially a by-product of the substantial growth of the Black population in metro Atlanta over the past half century.

Quote:
The Atlanta Hip-Hop/Trap scene is essentially standing on the shoulders of the scenes that came before it, namely the 'Crunk' and 'Miami Bass' scenes, and those scenes are standing on the shoulders of the New York and LA Hip-Hop scenes.
True, and OutKast and Dungeon Crew were major fixtures in the old Atlanta scene as well.

Quote:
The whole 'Trap' trend is just a victim of circumstance. Its so noticeable because its getting streamed on demand to every dumb kid with a smart phone 24/7. Its not good Hip-Hop though, have you listened to that crap?
You're preaching to the choir man. I think it's somewhat expected that you're going to get a lot of fluff and crap elements of pop culture.

Quote:
I only know of The Walking Dead, which I don't think anyone associates with Atlanta, so thanks for telling me about those other shows. Then there's the 'Real Housewives', more garbage that will be forgotten 20 years from now.
I get the garbage comment, but I think it will be remembered longer than 20 years from now. The Real Housewives franchise represented a new era of reality TV and is essentially the Real World of today. I'm sure it will make for good cultural anthropology material centuries from now.

Quote:
Fair enough, I just think if we were to stack all of the pop culture that affected and influenced the globe across the decades, end on end, between these two cities, Miami would come out on top.
I can agree with that, but I do think Atlanta is catching up kinda fast, especially on the TV/film front. Right about now, it's worth mentioning that the movie Contagion from a couple of years back (12 maybe?) starring Matt Damon and Laurence Fishburne was partially set in Atlanta, mostly at the CDC.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Tyler isn't old LOL; there's no reason to think he won't still be at it in some capacity in 20 years. I mean 20 years ago was only the year 2000.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Tyler isn't old LOL; there's no reason to think he won't still be at it in some capacity in 20 years. I mean 20 years ago was only the year 2000.
I know, that was just a cheap jab, mainly at the quality of his content, rather than anything to do with age.

Again, thanks for being reasonable in our discussion. I agree with a lot of what you've highlighted, and I think I've said everything I wanted to say on the topic, for now.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I know, that was just a cheap jab, mainly at the quality of his content, rather than anything to do with age.
Lol, I know. The man needs a writer's room, stat.

Quote:
Again, thanks for being reasonable in our discussion. I agree with a lot of what you've highlighted, and I think I've said everything I wanted to say on the topic, for now.
No problem. I found our exchange informative and civil and it reminded me how the cities parallel each other in several key respects.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:42 AM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
Ignoring off-topic and irrelevant banter about Tyler Perry and "3rd Wave Electro," and actually answering the question, I would say Miami. It's more poly-centric and you can find high-rises and pockets of density and spread across the coast of the entire metro area.

Atlanta, as others have stated, is more forested, which visually makes it look a lot less developed than it actually is. And in terms of street level, it lacks much density outside its central core and feels suburban, sleepy and boring throughout much of the MSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City