Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/metro feels bigger?
Miami 189 63.21%
Atlanta 62 20.74%
About the same 48 16.05%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 04:45 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
You guys.
You exactly saying what you are is what I mean as its clear you have no idea about Atlanta yet speak as though you do.No one who has been and knows the city would make that statement.
Its easier to get from Downtown Atlanta to Midtown and Buckhead by our subway than anywhere in Atlanta or Miami. Its a straight shot on the subway.
Its why I gave examples for both cities.Miami Beach is what people think of when they think of Miami.Sure people go to Buckhead and Midtown but the draw is downtown Atlanta with all its biggest attractions are downtown. Actually Atlanta due central location gets way more visitors than Miami.
People dont like to hear that and of course the usual argument is what kind of visitors but thats not what this is about .That was never the argument.The argument is what people are saying about a city is often not reality as they only know the main areas.
Why you switched it to something else is beyond me
Not even talking about those who have visited once or twice downtown (they usually are uniformed as also)its also the people like you speaking as if you know the city.

Again this has everything to do with people on this site speak about things "they think" not what they know. Someone said they havent been to Atlanta in 37 years. Miami 37 years ago was the murder capital of the US.
Miami was burning with racial conflicts
Atlanta is a city with a bigger economy centered around big business and not tourism like Miami although Atlanta does very well compared to cities that arent destination cities for tourism like Miami.
Like I said before:many people think Atlanta and Charlotte are of equal size based on just having been to downtown Atlanta.
To say i shouldnt expect people to know what they are talking about when they post blatant incorrect information, in itself is just dumb. They could at least admit they dont have a clue.
I lived there on Juniper & 8th in Midtown for 2 yrs and visit frequently up until last year due to family. Plenty of folks that lived and still live there don't think of it highly. Seriously though, what is there for a tourist to do in Buckhead... it's nice looking with 2 malls but as you said once you get off of marta and go to the mall, what else? I loved going to Chastain park but you gotto drive there and plus I wouldn't say it's a must see for a tourist and it's no longer party central like back in the day. You can't assume if someone has a differing opinion then you its only because they don't know the city well. But that's ok, not everyone likes NYC or SF either and that could've been previous residents but again, that's ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 04:58 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Let me correct you if I am not misinterpreting you and you are going to put words in people’s mouths. I’m the one who said he had not LIVED in Atlanta for 37 years (though I have visited since, including last year). I’m also the very same person who said from the outset on page 10 of this thread that I admittedly could not speak for Atlanta, but could speak for Miami, particularly since some (perhaps not you) have expressed doubt about it having walkable areas even though Walkscore (which we both found some flaws with on the overall, not address specific, level) suggests otherwise....yes/no/maybe?. If we are going to use my statement, let’s keep the context. Thanks.

Quote:
You guys.
You exactly saying what you are is what I mean as its clear you have no idea about Atlanta yet speakfor as though you do.No one who has been and knows the city would make that statement.
Its easier to get from Downtown Atlanta to Midtown and Buckhead by our subway than anywhere in Atlanta or Miami. Its a straight shot on the subway.
Its why I gave examples for both cities.Miami Beach is what people think of when they think of Miami.Sure people go to Buckhead and Midtown but the draw is downtown Atlanta with all its biggest attractions are downtown. Actually Atlanta due central location gets way more visitors than Miami.
People dont like to hear that and of course the usual argument is what kind of visitors but thats not what this is about .That was never the argument.The argument is what people are saying about a city is often not reality as they only know the main areas.
Why you switched it to something else is beyond me
Not even talking about those who have visited once or twice downtown (they usually are uniformed as also)its also the people like you speaking as if you know the city.
Again this has everything to do with people on this site speak about things "they think" not what they know. Someone said they havent been to Atlanta in 37 years. Miami 37 years ago was the murder capital of the US.
Atlanta is a city with a bigger economy centered around big business and not tourism like Miami although Atlanta does very well compared to cities that arent destination cities for tourism like Miami.
Like I said before:many people think Atlanta and Charlotte are of equal size based on just having been to downtown Atlanta.
To say i shouldnt expect people to know what they are talking about when they post blatant incorrect information, in itself is just dumb. They could at least admit they dont have a clue.[/quote]

Old 03-25-2020, 04:58 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I lived there on Juniper & 8th in Midtown for 2 yrs and visit frequently up until last year due to family. Plenty of folks that lived and still live there don't think of it highly. Seriously though, what is there for a tourist to do in Buckhead... it's nice looking with 2 malls but as you said once you get off of marta and go to the mall, what else? You can't assume if someone has a differing opinion then you its only because they don't know the city well. But that's ok, not everyone likes NYC or SF either and that could've been previous residents but again, that's ok.
Do you often create arguments tha arent there?
You wrong anyway.Buckhead draws tourist for the same reason Brickell does.Lenox Mall is an attraction.Just go to youtube . Every city draws tourist.Atlanta gets more weekend visitors than Atlanta due to proximity.
People come from all over the South to come to Atlanta. Including Midtown and Buckhead

You made a statement that you know isnt true so whats that about?
Plenty of people like it or it wouldnt be growing. Plenty people in Miami dont like it either.I have tenants in Atlanta from Miami

Old 03-25-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Let me correct you if I am misinterpreting you and you are going to put words in people’s mouths. I’m the one who said he had not LIVED in Atlanta for 37 years (though I have visited since, including last year). I’m also the very same person who said from the outset a page or two ago that I admittedly could not speak for Atlanta, but could speak for Miami, particularly since some (perhaps not you) have expressed doubt about it having walkable areas even though Walkscore (which we both found some flaws with on the overall, not address specific, level) suggests otherwise....yes/no/maybe?.

To say i shouldnt expect people to know what they are talking about when they post blatant incorrect information, in itself is just dumb. They could at least admit they dont have a clue.
[/quote]
I was taliking in general about posters who do this alot on here.I only brought up what you said as a point that Atlanta is not adestination city like Miami. Thats what me referencing you was about.Jeez
I was just quoting what you said.I never said you disnt say you were speaking for Atlanta. That part wasnt about you

Old 03-25-2020, 05:07 PM

Not sure where I said Atlanta was not a destination city, but it’s easy to confuse and/or keep up with all posters so let’s just move on....not a biggie...

[

Old 03-25-2020, 05:15 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Do you often create arguments tha arent there?
You wrong anyway.Buckhead draws tourist for the same reason Brickell does.Lenox Mall is an attraction.Just go to youtube . Every city draws tourist.Atlanta gets more weekend visitors than Atlanta due to proximity.
People come from all over the South to come to Atlanta. Including Midtown and Buckhead

You made a statement that you know isnt true so whats that about?
Plenty of people like it or it wouldnt be growing. Plenty people in Miami dont like it either.I have tenants in Atlanta from Miami
What's the argument here. You are going around saying people have no clue because they've never visited when some of us have actually lived there and visited plenty. I was just correcting you.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Not sure where I said Atlanta was not a destination city, but it’s easy to confuse and/or keep up with all posters so let’s just move on....not a biggie...

[
lol
I said I said it wasnt. Not you. I used your example to why someome would leave and not return after 37 years. I get it because its not Miami or NYC or SF etc

Old 03-25-2020, 05:35 PM

That’s part of the reason though I really enjoyed my 2 years of grad school at Emory and Atlanta and came very close to staying and landing my first job with Coca Cola until they implemented hiring budget freezes at the time. 33 years in tech in CA, prior to Miami, wasn’t a bad consolation prize.

That being said, Atlanta is a leading regional corporate, educational and commercial center that seems to draw more business visitors than leisure tourists whereas Miami is a regional US based capital for Latin America that draws more leisure tourists than business visitors. Atlanta is more a career and COL choice whereas Miami is more a lifestyle choice. Both are big, but in different ways with different cultural appeals.

Quote:
lol
I said I said it wasnt. Not you. I used your example to why someome would leave and not return after 37 years. I get it because its not Miami or NYC or SF etc

Last edited by elchevere; 03-25-2020 at 05:56 PM..

Old 03-25-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
What's the argument here. You are going around saying people have no clue because they've never visited when some of us have actually lived there and visited plenty. I was just correcting you.
OMG. Really?I said there are a lot of posters who vote and never say anything in the threads.This is not specific to you.
There are also posters who state things that would lead you to believe they dont know what they are talking abput. That was directed at you based on your comments.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:55 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
The scores are listed under "Miami Neighborhoods"
It has then all listed
Miami Neighborhoods
Rank Name Walk Score Transit Score Bike Score Population
Downtown
91 94 76 34,134
Wynwood-Edgewater
88 63 76 19,762
Little Havana
87 62 66 53,409
Overtown
81 82 73 10,005
Little Haiti
78 52 71 28,603
Coral Way
77 52 70 58,691
West Flagler
76 48 58 45,933
Allapattah
76 57 62 41,687
Upper Eastside
75 50 60 12,354
Northeast Coconut Grove
74 49 79 11,246
Flagami
68 44 55 52,236
Model City
64 51 60 22,412
Southwest Coconut Grove
62 42 63 8,041

You listed a specific address score in a section of neighborhoods.They use those numbers for each specific section in that neighborhood to come up for a total composite score
Some of those neighborhoods are huge. Seattle(mentioned earlier) has a bunch of smaller neighborhoods adjacent to each other from what I remember hearing. And that contributes to Seattle having a multitude of neighborhoods with a high walkscore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City