Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is sixth most important in the nation?
Atlanta 36 14.69%
Boston 78 31.84%
Dallas 39 15.92%
Houston 39 15.92%
Miami 8 3.27%
Philadelphia 28 11.43%
Seattle 17 6.94%
Other (specify one thread) 0 0%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 09:44 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
The other threads I linked to in the OP all had at least a couple days between their creations. If the thread goes inactive, maybe I’ll think of starting one for #7. Otherwise I’d like to give it a week at least.
Cool cool. I just recall Boston always coming out on top in these discussion. Seems to follow suit here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 10:05 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Atlanta always loses to Boston in the #6 discussion. Go back and look up old threads including this one.
That’s because of implicit bias.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
6. Boston - It's critical to U.S. Eds & Meds
7. Atlanta - Gateway to and de facto capital of the southeastern U.S.; most significant media presence outside of NYC & L.A.; some significant educational & government infrastructure
8. Houston - One of the global linchpins of the energy sector
9. Philadelphia - Original legacy city; still a very large business and education hub; considerable historic infrastructure
10. Dallas - Very large metro with significant economic output
11. Seattle - Outsized representation in technology and other corporations that influence our lives daily
12. Miami - Gateway to Latin America; world-class tourist destination
Good list. I like this. It is smart.

Only thing: Atlanta at #6 and Boston at #7.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Oh.. ok. we've seen it before where most of the Atlanta votes usually from the homers and everyone else from everywhere else tend to vote for other cities.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Oh.. ok. we've seen it before where most of the Atlanta votes usually from the homers and everyone else from everywhere else tend to vote for other cities.

I don’t even know what you are talking about.

But I guess some find comfort in weird city-data theories.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:

I don’t even know what you are talking about.

But I guess some find comfort in weird city-data theories.
You can look up previous threads where it's open for you to see who voted for what. A huge bulk of Atlanta votes always come from Atlanta forumers whereas you see this less with other cities.

All good tho, since it's just a theory we're veering off track.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:22 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I much prefer Atlanta over Boston, but objectively, it's Boston over Atlanta here.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:32 AM

17,197 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Eh... I have no ties to Atlanta whatsoever, and I'm at a toss-up between Boston and Atlanta.
Even coming from a place like Montreal, Atlanta was always viewed as a somewhat major city, despite the distance. Of course, Boston had more direct impact on Montreal, primarily due to close proximity and sports rivalries, but that's a different story.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:32 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Cool cool. I just recall Boston always coming out on top in these discussion. Seems to follow suit here too.
There were a lot of pretty eager Houston-boosters in the 5 Primary Cities thread in General US. I’m surprised we haven’t heard more from them, especially when Houston is matching Atlanta in the poll.

Philly is a bit tough. It’s a bit larger than Boston and it shares a lot of core industries with Boston, namely education and biotech. However, I think in those two areas: Boston seems to be a little bit bigger of a deal atm (I’d love to see some evidence to the contrary). Philly then has Comcast and through it NBC and Sky. DuPont, too, if Wilmington is “close enough”. Boston has Liberty Mutual, Raytheon, TJX, and GE.

Dallas seems to be a bit of a sleeper candidate. The Metroplex has been gaining on Greater Boston in terms of population for awhile and a quick Google search suggests that its doing pretty well for itself economically. I don’t know much about the city or area myself, though.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 03-22-2020 at 10:41 AM..

Old 03-22-2020, 10:38 AM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
There were a lot of pretty eager Houston-boosters in the 5 Primary Cities thread in General US. I’m surprised we haven’t heard more from them, especially when Houston is matching Atlanta in the poll.

Philly is a bit tough. It’s a bit larger than Boston and it shares a lot of core industries with Boston, namely education and biotech. However, I think in those two areas: Boston seems to be a little bit bigger of a deal atm (I’d love to see some evidence to the contrary). Philly then has Comcast and through it NBC and Sky while Boston has a Liberty Mutual, Raytheon, and GE.

Dallas seems to be a bit of a sleeper candidate. The Metroplex has been gaining on Greater Boston in terms of population for awhile and a quick Google search suggests that its doing pretty well for itself economically. I don’t know much about the city or area myself, though.
I personally believe Houston and Atlanta are fairly equal in economic importance to the country as a whole. One may have a edge over the other but nothing of significance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City