Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is sixth most important in the nation?
Atlanta 36 14.69%
Boston 78 31.84%
Dallas 39 15.92%
Houston 39 15.92%
Miami 8 3.27%
Philadelphia 28 11.43%
Seattle 17 6.94%
Other (specify one thread) 0 0%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 03:34 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times

Advertisements

Boston Philly Houston Atlanta Seattle Miami Dallas in that order
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 03:42 PM

19 posts, read 10,239 times
Boston, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Seattle, and Philly in that order.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:42 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I thought Miami would be the odd one out. Denver and Phoenix were two that I almost included, but figured that people could pick “other” if they feel strongly about those.

Yeah, I think they all have good arguments. It’ll be interesting to see what folks say if anyone ends up taking the bait.
Agree with your comment about Miami. Miami is the one in this group that does not necessarily belong. Its salaries, wages and jobs are very low paying compared to other major metros similarly sized in the US. Miami is in the 10-15 rung or so, due to this. It is very hospitality, tourism, service-oriented driven, and has many Latin American influenced, lower paying companies there.

My rankings would go like this:

#6 Atlanta
#7 Boston
#8 Philadelphia
#9 Dallas
#10 Houston
#11 Seattle
#12 Detroit
#13 Miami
#14 Minneapolis
#15 Denver

Old 03-21-2020, 04:35 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
Yes, if you only go by W-2 paycheck wages Miami lags behind other cities in terms of corporate and career opportunities (though it has its share of medicine, Law, sales, finance/wealth management/international banking, export, etc careers); however W-2 is but one—not the only—measure of income and wealth.

What about entrepreneurs/small business, partnerships/ LP’s, LLC’s, etc who file schedule C, D, and E. More than 3 families, night club owners, and cartels own those multimillion dollar condos and homes--as well as less expensive ones, obviously ...many who live here do so for year round, warm weather oceanfront lifestyle and do well (including many ex NY'ers) or are willing to accept less to do so. Many other cities have to subtract high state income tax and other higher living expenses from their W2, along with SALT limits, to get to their net income--IF we are going to go solely on the income/wages argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Agree with your comment about Miami. Miami is the one in this group that does not necessarily belong. Its salaries, wages and jobs are very low paying compared to other major metros similarly sized in the US. Miami is in the 10-15 rung or so, due to this. It is very hospitality, tourism, service-oriented driven, and has many Latin American influenced, lower paying companies there.

My rankings would go like this:

#6 Atlanta
#7 Boston
#8 Philadelphia
#9 Dallas
#10 Houston
#11 Seattle
#12 Detroit
#13 Miami
#14 Minneapolis
#15 Denver

Last edited by elchevere; 03-21-2020 at 05:48 PM..

Old 03-21-2020, 04:41 PM

330 posts, read 294,115 times
For me, in terms of importance (not personal preference)

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. DC
4. San Francisco
5. Chicago
6. Boston
7. Philadelphia
8. Houston
9. Seattle
10.Atlanta

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 03-21-2020 at 04:51 PM..

Old 03-21-2020, 04:49 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3RO View Post
Boston, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Seattle, and Philly in that order.
I haven't seen the argument how Seattle, Miami or even Dallas would be ahead of Philadelphia.

Boston, Houston and Philadelphia are close enough where its not worth refuting against the other options.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:12 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
It's tough between Atlanta and Boston. I can see a fair argument for both. I am going with Atlanta because it's the de facto capital of an entire region.
When you say entire region, do you mean just the southeast?

Old 03-21-2020, 05:17 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Hmmm based on cultural, political and economical importance and contributions?

I'm stuck somewhere in between Atlanta, Boston and Houston. I feel Houston will lose it's importance and probably already has due to the oil and gas crises going on right now. When all the smoke clears Houston might not remain the economic powerhouse that it has been for many decades now.

So that leaves me with Atlanta and Boston and i'm having a hard time deciding out those 2.
It’s in a bust right now, but a boom will catapult Houston right back up there. Even with the problems with oil today, it does not mean Houston loses its status as a top worldwide city in the energy industry. An industry that is still very important and vital in the nation and world. In fact, if the energy companies actually diversified its industry away from being just oil and gas, and start becoming what it actually is which is favor all energy, then I don’t ever see it losing its importance. For that matter, it’s status for this particular volatile industry and the fact that Houston continues to diversify its economy puts Houston at number 7 for me. It’s right there with Boston and Philadelphia.

For me, I picked Boston.

6. Boston
7. Houston
8. Philadelphia
9. Dallas
10. Atlanta
11. Seattle
12. Miami
13. Detroit
14. Minneapolis
15. Denver

7 and 8 can be flipped but they are close to each other and both are close to 6. 9 and 10 can be flipped but getting closer to 6-8. 11 and 12 are on 9 and 10s heels.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:19 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
seems reasonable, with Miami, Atlanta and Seattle battling for 2 of the final top 10 spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I haven't seen the argument how Seattle, Miami or even Dallas would be ahead of Philadelphia.

Boston, Houston and Philadelphia are close enough where its not worth refuting against the other options.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:46 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,630,594 times
Probably Boston. I don't think it has it locked though, as Atlanta, Houston, and Philadelphia all can make a case for themselves. Boston is probably the most well-rounded for #6, though...

None of the other cities mentioned are anywhere close to contention for #6...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City