Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is sixth most important in the nation?
Atlanta 36 14.69%
Boston 78 31.84%
Dallas 39 15.92%
Houston 39 15.92%
Miami 8 3.27%
Philadelphia 28 11.43%
Seattle 17 6.94%
Other (specify one thread) 0 0%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 08:37 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The take away I see from your post, (and doing some research of my own).

Boston is #5 and is clearly a step ahead, agreed.

Between the next 4: Atlanta, Dallas, Philadelphia, Houston, its really splitting hairs.
Each city/metro is huge, prominent, economically sound, and each city/metro has its own strengths, some more public than others.
In the end we can play musical chairs with the order, but it shouldn't be an insult since they are all peers and will remain peers for a while.

At this point, I am only arguing with people who make ridiculous posts like Philadelphia doesn't belong, or Atlanta doesn't belong, they are are clearly in the 6th - 9th ranking.
The exact ranking however, is so blurry that no argument is going to become a consensus for this group. The only general consensus is Boston at #5.
I think you mean Boston is #6. The remainder start at #7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 10:14 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,431 times
Quote:
The take away I see from your post, (and doing some research of my own).

Boston is #5 and is clearly a step ahead, agreed.

Between the next 4: Atlanta, Dallas, Philadelphia, Houston, its really splitting hairs.
Each city/metro is huge, prominent, economically sound, and each city/metro has its own strengths, some more public than others.
In the end we can play musical chairs with the order, but it shouldn't be an insult since they are all peers and will remain peers for a while.

At this point, I am only arguing with people who make ridiculous posts like Philadelphia doesn't belong, or Atlanta doesn't belong, they are are clearly in the 6th - 9th ranking.
The exact ranking however, is so blurry that no argument is going to become a consensus for this group. The only general consensus is Boston at #5.
Ye,s.This was exactky my point.pHilly blongs for now.
Sure my preference is Atlanta but Im not blind to the fact that all these cities mentioned so closely are all contenders for the spot.
Even Philly to some degree but its this notion that Philly is "Boston light" is really only taking in Philly historical impirtance and not present day importance.
.Philly doesnt really represent the top of key sectors consistently.
Boston which does in several sectors.
Dallas,Houston and Atlanta do so more so than Philly but none of them are as far as Boston is from Philly.
They will be within the next several years but Philly has no shot in reality to be an equal to Boston.Philly if it continues the current trjectory is slow and steady.Basically maintaining a slow gradual climb whereas the others are juggernauts. They just keep getting cloeser and closer to Boston

Old 04-19-2020, 12:11 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I think you mean Boston is #6. The remainder start at #7.
Sorry #6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Ye,s.This was exactky my point.pHilly blongs for now.
Sure my preference is Atlanta but Im not blind to the fact that all these cities mentioned so closely are all contenders for the spot.
Even Philly to some degree but its this notion that Philly is "Boston light" is really only taking in Philly historical impirtance and not present day importance.
.Philly doesnt really represent the top of key sectors consistently.
Boston which does in several sectors.
Dallas,Houston and Atlanta do so more so than Philly but none of them are as far as Boston is from Philly.
They will be within the next several years but Philly has no shot in reality to be an equal to Boston.Philly if it continues the current trjectory is slow and steady.Basically maintaining a slow gradual climb whereas the others are juggernauts. They just keep getting cloeser and closer to Boston
I wouldn't say its as cut and dry as that since Philadelphia was beginning a renaissance of its own, and it really began to take off in the last 2ish years, most notably in the life sciences/Bi-Med industries.

Plus, with this whole Covid-19 mess, the whole game could change, and I see Houston taking the biggest hit out of this group.

I see Atlanta, Philadelphia, Dallas and Houston remaining peers for the foreseeable future, with or without the Covid-19 mess.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:18 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Yeh because in your mind Atlanta isnt worthy of any votes which is ridiculous.Its you with a bias against Atlanta as its absolutely no reason or loguc Atlanta would not be on par with the other Sunbelt cities.
You can google many threads with polls involving Arlanta,Houston and Dallas and throw in a city like Chicago. Houston is trailing in every poll going bck years.Dallas and Atlanta have more votes in subjective polls lke this.
Its usally you can tell someone is padding votes if a city jhas a ridiculous lead compared to the others. These votes are in line with other threads where they are listed
No I didnt see the poll
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...elt-metro.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...s-atlanta.html
Well, it doesn't just happen with Atlanta, Dallas also stuffed the ballot in this very poll but he did have a point. There were like 7 fake accounts that voted Atlanta in the #7 thread.

Quote:
I wouldn't say its as cut and dry as that since Philadelphia was beginning a renaissance of its own, and it really began to take off in the last 2ish years, most notably in the life sciences/Bi-Med industries.

Plus, with this whole Covid-19 mess, the whole game could change, and I see Houston taking the biggest hit out of this group.

I see Atlanta, Philadelphia, Dallas and Houston remaining peers for the foreseeable future, with or without the Covid-19 mess.
Houston is kind of the oddball when it comes to economic terms. Its definitely going to get trashed by Covid-19 but in general it doesn't tend to follow the same economic patterns as the rest of the country does and can also quite easily arise again as well depending on how quickly the O&G industry recovers.

Old 04-19-2020, 01:36 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:

This statement is technically correct but it needs a little bit of context.

Brookings outlined the number of jobs by metro area that are at risk in the forseeable future because of COVID and other events.

Percentage of Metro Area jobs at risk:
Houston: 19.4%
Atlanta: 18.8%
Dallas: 18.2%
Philadelphia: 13.6%

So while Houston has a larger percentage of jobs at risk, compared to Dallas and Atlanta, its not a big difference.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...y-hit-hardest/

Old 04-19-2020, 01:41 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulll View Post
You're right about that!

What city did you vote for for this poll? I should keep my posts to topic.
I voted for Boston.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:21 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,431 times
Quote:
Sorry #6.

Just because one poll had that happened doesnt mean this or every poll would have that happen. Ive seen it for sevearl cities from time to time.
As I said,this poll is nclose as usually when these cities are mentioned they always tend to be like this

Old 04-19-2020, 07:34 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
This statement is technically correct but it needs a little bit of context.

Brookings outlined the number of jobs by metro area that are at risk in the forseeable future because of COVID and other events.

Percentage of Metro Area jobs at risk:
Houston: 19.4%
Atlanta: 18.8%
Dallas: 18.2%
Philadelphia: 13.6%

So while Houston has a larger percentage of jobs at risk, compared to Dallas and Atlanta, its not a big difference.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...y-hit-hardest/
Going from memory here...That study used far too blunt of parameters. It was purely binary, and used overly broad categories.

Oil is a much bigger risk factor than they account for. And I don't believe they considered the multiplier effect.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:45 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
#6 is very clear here

But im surprised Phlly doesnt have more votes for #7.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:02 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
#6 is very clear here

But im surprised Phlly doesnt have more votes for #7.
Houston has its swings but bounces back quickly.
I think Houston is a surer bet. But yes I would think that it and Philly would have a few more votes than Atlanta and DFW.

I think we are sleeping on Seattle as a top 10 city.
I think it should already be in the conversation with DFW and Atlanta despite it being half the size.
Their location is Denver and MSP savior snakes downfall. I think they would have been so much bigger if they had as many towns to pull from as Atlanta or DFW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City