Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 02:07 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Pierce County includes significant right-leaning areas. Due to its large flattish area and low-intensity growth management, it's home to a large percentage of the Seattle metro's larger-lot suburbia and horse farms. Local counties go all the way to the peak of the Cascades in fact. And of course the big military and ex-military presence. Tacoma itself is somewhere between that and Seattle. Tacoma's north end is (represented by the movie Ten Things I Hate About You) is more the latter.
Travis County has 30% more population. Tacoma is tiny.

If you drew Tacoma sized boundaries around downtown Austin do you have any idea how liberal of a city that would be?

It's ridiculous to me how much people buy into the BS "red state" vs. "blue state" concept. The idea that any random town in WA is automatically as or more liberal than the progressive capital of the southern half of the USA...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 02:11 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
2016:
Travis county: 66% Clinton, 28% Trump
Pierce county: 50% Clinton, 42% Trump

2018:
Travis County: 74% Beto O'Rourke (D), 25% Ted Cruz (R)
Pierce County: 53% Maria Cantwell (D), 47% Susan Hutchinson (R)

2020 Primary:
Travis County: 84k Sanders, 53k Biden, 50k Warren, 38k Trump, 18k Bloomberg
Pierce County: 61k Trump, 61k Biden, 54k Sanders

Pierce County, WA is MAGA-land in comparison to Travis County, TX. Is this clear to you?

I would agree that Travis County is more liberal than Pierce County, but the differentials in the 2018 Senate race margins are probably inflated - since Ted Cruz is a truly ultra-conservative politician whose profile would repel the majority of Travis residents more than a "standard" Republican. I doubt Washington's Republican nominee (not familiar with her) was so stridently far right.

Travis County also has a pretty sharp difference in political orientation between the central and outlying areas. My guess is the same is true of Pierce County, with the city of Tacoma leaning further left compared to the outskirts. And Pierce is certainly more liberal than the outer counties of metro Austin.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:13 PM

765 posts, read 898,097 times
Quote:
2016:
Travis county: 66% Clinton, 28% Trump
Pierce county: 50% Clinton, 42% Trump

2018:
Travis County: 74% Beto O'Rourke (D), 25% Ted Cruz (R)
Pierce County: 53% Maria Cantwell (D), 47% Susan Hutchinson (R)

2020 Primary:
Travis County: 84k Sanders, 53k Biden, 50k Warren, 38k Trump, 18k Bloomberg
Pierce County: 61k Trump, 61k Biden, 54k Sanders

Pierce County, WA is MAGA-land in comparison to Travis County, TX. Is this clear to you?
That makes sense if we were talking about counties, in which case I agree with you. But we aren't talking about counties. Pierce county absolutely has some right leaning areas, the city of Tacoma is far from.

I'm not here to knock on Austin, and I agree it's liberal. I just feel like Tacoma was being dismissed as not being a liberal city, when in fact, it is. It's not typical of a liberal city because a lot of the people are from working class or blue collar backgrounds, and it has received less fiscal investment than Seattle/ was neglected by people in power for decades.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I would agree that Travis County is more liberal than Pierce County, but the differentials in the 2018 Senate race margins are probably inflated - since Ted Cruz is a truly ultra-conservative politician whose profile would repel the majority of Travis residents more than a "standard" Republican. I doubt Washington's Republican nominee (not familiar with her) was so stridently far right.

Travis County also has a pretty sharp difference in political orientation between the central and outlying areas. My guess is the same is true of Pierce County, with the city of Tacoma leaning further left compared to the outskirts. And Pierce is certainly more liberal than the outer counties of metro Austin.
I don't get the point. Look at the primary results.

Travis County--despite being much smaller in land area--has twice as many people show up and vote for a democrat, and those people had a much stronger preference for the more liberal candidates Sanders and Warren.

Choosing Tacoma over Austin because you want to be surrounded by liberal people just doesn't make any sense. Austin is the larger, more progressive city. We aren't talking about Seattle, we are talking about Tacoma.

Now if you don't like the heat, prefer mountain-oriented outdoor activities over water-oriented outdoor activities, want a smaller city, got a better job offer in Tacoma, etc, etc, then by all means choose Tacoma. But it is not more liberal than Austin, and the comparison is not close.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:55 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
I would choose Tacoma for sure. It is more affordable and close to Seattle. For your salary, it would be well worth it. Also, it is a more progressive area with decent infrastructure.

https://www.traveltacoma.com/regions/tacoma/

Old 04-11-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
That makes sense if we were talking about counties, in which case I agree with you. But we aren't talking about counties. Pierce county absolutely has some right leaning areas, the city of Tacoma is far from.

I'm not here to knock on Austin, and I agree it's liberal. I just feel like Tacoma was being dismissed as not being a liberal city, when in fact, it is. It's not typical of a liberal city because a lot of the people are from working class or blue collar backgrounds, and it has received less fiscal investment than Seattle/ was neglected by people in power for decades.
I'm not saying Tacoma is not a "liberal city", I'm saying that it is--quite clearly--less liberal than Austin. A Tacoma-sized Austin would look something like Berkeley, CA politically.

Old 04-11-2020, 03:10 PM

765 posts, read 898,097 times
Quote:
I'm not saying Tacoma is not a "liberal city", I'm saying that it is--quite clearly--less liberal than Austin. A Tacoma-sized Austin would look something like Berkeley, CA politically.
We see it differently.

Old 04-11-2020, 03:12 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Quote:
Travis County has 30% more population. Tacoma is tiny.

If you drew Tacoma sized boundaries around downtown Austin do you have any idea how liberal of a city that would be?

It's ridiculous to me how much people buy into the BS "red state" vs. "blue state" concept. The idea that any random town in WA is automatically as or more liberal than the progressive capital of the southern half of the USA...
A state that's 55% or 60% in one direction has a broad range of people like anywhere else...but that group makes decisions that affect everyone. There's no escaping the fact that you're in Texas.

Old 04-11-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
We see it differently.
I'm still waiting for some piece of evidence that indicates that Tacoma is anywhere near as left-leaning as Austin.

Old 04-11-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
A state that's 55% or 60% in one direction has a broad range of people like anywhere else...but that group makes decisions that affect everyone. There's no escaping the fact that you're in Texas.
We are talking about Austin vs. Tacoma.

In Washington 52% voted for Clinton, vs. 43% in Texas. A 9% difference.

In Travis County 66% voted for Clinton vs. 48% in Pierce County. A 18% difference.

Since then the cities have probably moved further apart--see the 2018 Senate election and 2020 primaries--as Tacoma is mostly stagnant while Austin is the fastest growing major city in the country.

But sure, Tacoma is more liberal because "blue state". It's only 35 miles from Seattle after all. Very convincing.

IMO Seattle is conservative. You can't escape that it's part of the USA, led by Donald Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City