Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 09:52 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Tacoma is better. It's actually a suburb of Seattle. The water and mountains are awesome. Go check them both out. You'll see. Go to Rainier national park. I wouldn't question this. I lived in both places and the sea-tac area wins hands down
I agree. My mom spent her summers in the area growing up. She said it was really nice. I have spent more time in Seattle than Tacoma, but I like the area better than Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 12:45 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
For ****s and giggles, I googled "most progressive US cities" and attempted to find a list that actually included Tacoma.

Finally, the 6th result did in fact have Tacoma:
https://www.homesnacks.net/most-libe...erica-1210850/

It comes in at #148, just behind progressive powerhouse Shreveport.

Elgin, TX, a small town outside of Austin known for incredible sausage comes in at #133.
Yea I wouldn’t put much validity in that. While Austin is certainly more liberal than Tacoma,

The immediate surrounding areas in Tacoma are more liberal

Old 04-26-2020, 12:57 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I've heard that ash will cement your lungs if you breathe it, that and Lahar's will destroy every bridge (including I-5) along the channel isolating Tacoma and the rest of the southern sound cities.
You'd want to stay home during any major ash fall, and at minimum wear a mask. The prevailing winds are eastward though, so I imagine Tacoma might not get hit much.

A lahar could certainly damage valleys, which tend to be industrial and agricultural. It would be a hell of a lahar though if it got very far beyond the rivers themselves. And there would be good warning time anywhere near Tacoma.

If you're in the town of Orting, however, you'd better run quickly, because it's the closest major town downriver on the Tacoma side, it's in a fairly narrow valley, and it's surrounded by two rivers that happen to come from different sides of the mountain, which also leaves it with few routes of escape.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:36 PM

765 posts, read 897,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yea I wouldn’t put much validity in that. While Austin is certainly more liberal than Tacoma,

The immediate surrounding areas in Tacoma are more liberal
It's the other way around unless you're talking about Olympia or Seattle. Federal Way, Lakewood, and University Place are not more liberal than Tacoma.
Also Austin is not certainly more liberal than Tacoma. There's no way. Maybe slightly in certain ways. But the gap is little to none imo. Austin is bigger, wealthier, and has more urban amenities within its city limits (except for transit lol).

Old 04-26-2020, 01:40 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
It's the other way around unless you're talking about Olympia or Seattle lol. Federal Way, Lakewood, and University Place are not more liberal than Tacoma.
Also Austin is not certainly more liberal than Tacoma. There's no way. Maybe slightly in certain ways. But the gap is little to none imo. Austin is bigger, wealthier, and has more urban amenities within its city limits (except for transit lol).
How is there no way? I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. Austin is most definitely more liberal.

Tacoma is tiny. Tacoma city-limits placed on top of downtown Austin would be an extremely liberal city, much more liberal than Tacoma itself.

Here's some data for you Tacoma truthers: (I've yet to see a single piece of data showing Tacoma to be more liberal than Austin).

Austin:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...30.227/-97.685

Tacoma:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...122.440/111422

Old 04-26-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
It's the other way around unless you're talking about Olympia or Seattle. Federal Way, Lakewood, and University Place are not more liberal than Tacoma.
Ok, no. Austin isn't more liberal than Seattle, but it's certainly more liberal than Tacoma. Hilary won Travis county 65-27 but only 49-41 in Pierce county. This isn't even close. My comment was I think the cities and the state that surrounds Tacoma is more liberal than those that surround Austin. As stand alone cities, Austin wins handily. And Austin is one of the wealthiest cities in Texas, this is the activist crowd voting not the institutional crowd.

Even Westlake, Austin's old money area, went to Hilary 57-37

Old 04-26-2020, 05:37 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Ok, no. Austin isn't more liberal than Seattle, but it's certainly more liberal than Tacoma. Hilary won Travis county 65-27 but only 49-41 in Pierce county. This isn't even close. My comment was I think the cities and the state that surrounds Tacoma is more liberal than those that surround Austin. As stand alone cities, Austin wins handily. And Austin is one of the wealthiest cities in Texas, this is the activist crowd voting not the institutional crowd.

Even Westlake, Austin's old money area, went to Hilary 57-37
Yeah basically this, Austin proper is liberal, the immediate suburbs are purple but it turns red VERY quickly after that. In short you gotta watch what topics you propose to some of the locals living just outside of Austin.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yeah basically this, Austin proper is liberal, the immediate suburbs are purple but it turns red VERY quickly after that. In short you gotta watch what topics you propose to some of the locals living just outside of Austin.
Yep, but I think you can say that about most metros, though maybe not as pronounced as the southern metros, yep that includes Austin.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 327 times
I've lived in Austin for about 23 years and we're considering moving to Tacoma.

Some have said it's "4 months 100 degree summer vs. 10 months rain/depression" I'd like to clarify some things.
-It's hot and muggy from about May to December.
-From Nov-Dec the temps drop to maybe 80.
-Things start getting hot and humid in May.
-It's cold in January and February (and due to TX republicans you may lose power and water for days during a freak snow storm.)
-Weather is monsoon-rainy during March. (this is actually my favorite month! go figure - I hate the sun at this point)
-That leaves April as maybe nice enough to go hiking in the still-muggy scrub-brush parks where there are fireants, scorpions, snakes and the algae in the swimming holes may kill your dog. Don't get me started on allergies.

I used to be very outdoorsy where I grew up in N CA. I haven't been outdoorsy here in TX for decades.

Regarding politics - people in Austin (and TX in general) don't discuss politics. There's a large number of evangelicals and libertarians that seem to fill any large group and no one wants to get into debates or be frozen out as a "West Coast *******" so people keep their liberal politics to themselves. On paper we're more progressive but you'd never know unless you go out drinking w/ someone. Then depending, you both may make mental notes not to hang out again.

Austin is a very segregated town. Most POC are on the Eastside due to historical infrastructural racism. Tho many have been priced out and moved to Pflugerville. The suburbs are all more conservative.

There's a lot of indie art galleries in Austin but the museums are disappointing compared to those in Houston or San Antonio. Everything is also very spread out and you need to drive everywhere b/c the public transportation is horrible. The roads in 'hip cool' areas are filled with pot-holes and parking is usually just for certain businesses, so you really can't have a walkable shopping experience (see also: muggy 95-100 degree weather). Small busineses may also not have sufficient parking. It's not uncommon to drive across town to try to check out some cafes and indie spots, not find any parking and just go home. Especially in super crowded Central Austin. I haven't been to downtown Austin in years - we're talking $20 to park somewhere. If you take public transit it can take hours. If you're young and can afford to live in a downtown condo it might be fun.

Property taxes are through the roof. It's not uncommon to spend $6k/year on property taxes. The water is hard, requiring a water softener. Local politics are limited by the strong arm of evangelical christians putting their influence on everything. It may be an ok place to live if you're not a woman or LGBT or POC or have no kids. There's also liquor laws, pot is illegal, a lot of folks don't want to wear masks and are vocal about it. So....YMMV.

Old 12-22-2021, 07:53 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Tacoma for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City