Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2020, 10:15 PM

554 posts, read 608,985 times

Advertisements

I've been offered two positions: one in Tacoma, and one in Austin. The Tacoma job would pay ~180-190k. The Austin job would pay around ~160k. Both have lots of new housing stock in the 450-600k range.

What I've noticed, in looking at houses, is that the Austin area's property taxes are significantly higher than Tacoma's. Neither state has a state income tax. Austin has better weather. In Austin, my boss would be a guy. In Tacoma, my boss would be a woman. (I'm a guy, and I prefer to work for a guy, but this is a somewhat middling consideration).

Tacoma is growing from people who are fleeing Seattle. Austin is just growing. Washington state is more my politics, Texas not. I'm single, no kids. I've lived in both states before (Seattle and Houston), so am familiar with both Tacoma and Austin. I love hiking and biking. I also love museums and classical music events (we may never see either of those again).

Where should I go?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 10:58 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Which climate do you prefer?

Old 04-10-2020, 11:29 PM

On climate alone, Austin would win. But I'm not sure that that is the sole basis by which I should determine my destiny. Austin is getting crowded, and "techy", and expensive. But I did find some great, affordable new-construction houses in the near hill country about 30 minutes out of the center. I also found some cool places in the Tacoma area (particularly in Bonney Lake), and I like the trees and nature trails, etc. People-wise, I'm more Tacoma, but Austin just has so many cool places. I'm truly torn.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:51 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,405,236 times
- 180k in Tacoma seems a bit better than 160k in Austin
- Weather is polar opposites
- Austin is more liberal than Tacoma by a lot, so not sure if I understand the politics want
- Austin has more nightlife, music etc. Bigger city obviously
- Anything in Washington state beats anything in Texas for outdoor activity by a fair amount I would think (though Austin is better than other Texas cities).

Old 04-11-2020, 12:11 AM

Washington state as a whole is much more liberal than Texas. Pierce county went for Clinton 50% to 42.5% in 2016. I don't care much about the nightlife. Seattle is close enough to Tacoma for cultural outings. And true about outdoor activity. I'm leaning toward Tacoma. But hoping that the rain and gray skies don't drive me to depression.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:26 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,405,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
Washington state as a whole is much more liberal than Texas. Pierce county went for Clinton 50% to 42.5% in 2016. I don't care much about the nightlife. Seattle is close enough to Tacoma for cultural outings. And true about outdoor activity. I'm leaning toward Tacoma. But hoping that the rain and gray skies don't drive me to depression.
Washington state as a whole is more liberal than Texas, but Austin is much more liberal than Tacoma.

The delta in the latter is bigger than the delta in the former.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:30 AM

765 posts, read 899,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
- 180k in Tacoma seems a bit better than 160k in Austin
- Weather is polar opposites
- Austin is more liberal than Tacoma by a lot, so not sure if I understand the politics want
- Austin has more nightlife, music etc. Bigger city obviously
- Anything in Washington state beats anything in Texas for outdoor activity by a fair amount I would think (though Austin is better than other Texas cities).
I wouldn't say that Austin is more liberal than Tacoma. That's a stretch. Coming from someone who is very familiar with the city. The further you are from the city limits, the more moderate it becomes.

Climate is a major factor.

If you can't work for a woman, that is a problem, no matter where you're at.

Tacoma is apart of a much larger metro area with more amenities. Seattle, Bellevue, and outdoor rec is next door.

It really comes down to climate and the lack of tolerance from the op.

Last edited by blaserbrad; 04-11-2020 at 01:39 AM..

Old 04-11-2020, 01:42 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,716,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
Seattle isn’t too far if you want a good variety of nightlife, but even in Tacoma there’s actually a decent bar scene. It’s a grittier town and there’s a lot of fun, campy dive bars (and some sketchy ones), as well as maybe the best Tiki bar in Washington State and some good very laid back cocktail bars. Not much in the way of clubs but there are some decent music venues. People are friendly.

It is true that Pierce County as a whole is not as liberal as Austin. In Tacoma you’ll find a mix - most of the younger people are relatively progressive, but you’ll run into plenty of Trump supporters. Just south of Tacoma is the huge JBLM military base and the closer you get to that and the towns that surround it, the more conservative it gets.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:18 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,681,843 times
Tacoma is growing from people who are fleeing Seattle. Austin is just growing. Washington state is more my politics, Texas not. I'm single, no kids. I've lived in both states before (Seattle and Houston), so am familiar with both Tacoma and Austin. I love hiking and biking. I also love museums and classical music events (we may never see either of those again).

Where should I go?
Based on access to what you like. I’d say Tacoma. Regardless of immediate area characteristics... you can literally get from Tacoma to Seattle in 35-40 minutes drive.. for cycling Austin is a pretty good town.. and it’s outdoor rec infrastructure overall might be best in the south, and for you, climate would favor Austin.

But for overall outdoor and nature as well as culture/museum/symphony opportunities, I would say it’s Seattle, almost certainly.. you can still pursue the same options of Seattle effectively.. and it’s a much larger, more cosmopolitan metro than Austin with what many consider the most beautiful hiking and nature in the US.

Everyone’s tastes are different and I’m
not trying to knock Austin at all, but I would absolutely go with Tacoma here.

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 04-11-2020 at 04:38 AM..

Old 04-11-2020, 04:38 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,681,843 times
I’m curious why you said you may never see museums or classical music again-granted, perhaps it’s not as venerable a scene as certain legacy northeast and midwest culture scenes. But, Seattle’s Symphony is one of the most acclaimed in the US
If you know a bit about this region it’s not hugely surprising but there is definitely Scandinavian heritage there.. I say that because of your username perhaps related to Jean Sibelius?
Seattle also has
-Chihuly Garden and Glass
-Museum of Flight
-MoPOP (Experiential Museum)
-Alaskan Gold Rush Museum/Historic Site
-One of the best Theatre scenes in the US

Austin doesn’t have as much.. but it has options that will likely grow and develop with time given how new the city is on a large stage.

Houston is about a 2.5 hr. drive from Austin and it’s cultural/museum clout is superb. Likely surpasses Seattle in that regard and has the best single cultural/museum scene of any city between Minneapolis and Los Angeles.

I see no reason for you to stop pursuing museums/culture, unless those options aren’t good enough, or you foresee not being able to travel on that salary : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City