Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 08:27 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Not the beer and sports culture? They might not flock to white bro sports bars but that is not true. Look at the crowds of any sports game in a city with a lot of Hispanics (at least 3 out of the 4 big sports).
This was what I was referring to. The OP was hinting at that negative "bro" culture. I was saying that's not representative of many people in Chicago. No doubt some of the biggest and best fans in Chicago are Latino. I would say for all 4 of the big sports teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 08:27 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Philly is no slouch but Chicago definitely takes this one.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:43 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
This video is kind of stereotypic Chicago sports culture, and doesn't represent the full Chicago sports culture (although a great video and great memories lol):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3CdVd9qEAlQ

Old 04-18-2020, 08:48 PM

142 posts, read 86,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This video is kind of stereotypic Chicago sports culture, and doesn't represent the full Chicago sports culture (although a great video and great memories lol):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3CdVd9qEAlQ
Great video. The city deserved to go Cubs proud after no Cubs World Series then since 1908. I wear my Cubs caps proudly in PA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkM1 View Post
I don't mean to generalize but is the population in Chicago mostly transients from other midwestern states with prime interests in following sports and drinking beer all the time?
OK, I can blame you for this corrupting of your own thread.

That being the sports and bro curture thingy brought in. it seems. Then a Hispanics as adding to a sports and bro culture.

Personone - already answered it and your intent? But you answered your own question. -- That Chicago has the had the less refined and interlectural populous by your own words in the above post. Never was a real question in your mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkM1 View Post
Which of these cities would you say has the most creativity/quirkiness? By these terms, I am referring to the music, theater, and arts world. Which city generally has a more intellectual and refined populace with less of a focus on sports?
A 2017 link

In 2016, 38.5 % of the city’s population 25 or older had at least a bachelor’s degree, a jump from 29.3 % in 2006, according to the American Community Survey.

Chicago leads the country in educated residents.

https://chicagoagentmagazine.com/201...ted-residents/

A 2019 link

https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/08...ree-us/596509/
* This thread also notes how the top rankings change much, if % of metro was used. But here it is on city-propers.

Where Do College Grads Live?

~Seattle tops the list with more than 60 % of adults having graduated college,
~ San Francisco; Washington, D.C.; Raleigh; Austin; and Minneapolis rounding out the top six.
~In the remaining four cities—Portland, Denver, Atlanta, and Boston—nearly half of adults have graduated college.

The superstar cities of New York and Los Angeles rank much lower down the list in % of College grads.
~New York ranks 18th. with 37.3 %
~Los Angeles ranks 24th with 34.4 %
~Chicago ranks 17th with 38.8 %
~San Jose in the heart of Silicon Valley ranks outside the top ten; it is 13th with 43.4 % about the same as Charlotte or Oakland.

I did not see Philadelphia in any list here. So apparently below 24th as LA rank is at. But not in the lowest rankings of some of them were given.

**** But Chicago's count less anyway as being -- bro's and sports fanatics in the less cultured bar scene. Less about the Arts, music and such .... (The Blues don't count as cultured music right)?

Last edited by ThinkPositiveRespect; 04-18-2020 at 09:34 PM..

Old 04-18-2020, 09:43 PM

30 posts, read 23,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkPositiveRespect View Post
y

**** But Chicago's count less anyway as being -- bro's and sports fanatics in the less cultured bar scene. Less about the Arts, music and such .... (The Blues don't count as cultured music right)?
Actually yes while Chicago has a fantastic fine and performing arts scene and many highly intellectual, artistic and 'cultured' people, on a per-basis Philly is more artsy.

Just check out the core neighborhoods in Chicago: River North, West Loop, and South Loop...in all of these neighborhoods you will find many college educated people yes, but they are not the high culture type. These neighborhoods are 'bro' neighborhoods with lots of clubs, sport bars and other non-intellectual institutions.

To find the 'high culture' neighborhoods in Chicago you need to go to Lincoln Park, Hyde Park and Wicker Park.

On the other hand Philly has a much more balanced core with neighborhoods that cater more to an arts inclined people. A person with no interest in sports or sports bars will feel much more at home in Philly than Chicago.

Chicago has higher % of people with college degrees yes, however many are from Big10 schools compared to Philly which has more people from liberal arts schools, Ivies and other school with less interest in sports.

Chicago has no doubt a very nice fine arts scene that is bigger than Philly as well. HOWEVER the core city neighborhoods do not cater to a non-sports person as much as compared to Philly.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:17 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Chicago is the cultural and social hub of like 6 or 7 states and as a result is a notch above Philadelphia.

Wicked took up a 3.5 year long run in Chicago for example. No other city really has that cache other than London where a show running on Broadway sets up shop in another city on an open ended run.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:01 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,218 times
In terms of music, Philadelphia probably wins, but I would say everything else goes to Chicago, especially theater

Old 04-19-2020, 08:05 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGeek View Post
That study is not right lolol no way Nashville is ranked higher than Philly, Chicago, Cleveland in terms of fine/performing arts for music, dance, theater, museums, high culture events and exhibitions.
Country music counts. From the report's section on metropolitan Nashville:

Quote:
Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin, TN, has long been known for its expansive music scene, but the emergence of world-class visual arts and fashion has put Nashville – Music City – on the map as an artistic and culturally rich destination. Nashville claims to have the largest concentration of songwriters in the world, with a strong presence of Americana-focused artisans and artists. These claims are evidenced and supported by the ranking on independent artists per capita, where Nashville is in the top 2% of communities.
(emphasis added)

And "folk arts" are definitely included in this report's definition of arts and culture. Here in Philly, for instance, if we stuck to a highbrow interpretation of the phrase, we'd leave out institutions like Taller Puertorriqueño or the Village of Arts and Humanities, both mentioned in the report's section on the city.

And in Chicago, would anyone call the world-famous Second City "high culture"?

Thanks to its being the epicenter of the country music industry, Nashville is huge in this department. That no doubt contributes to its ranking.

Quote:
Chicago leads the country in educated residents.

https://chicagoagentmagazine.com/201...ted-residents/

A 2019 link

https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/08...ree-us/596509/
* This thread also notes how the top rankings change much, if % of metro was used. But here it is on city-propers.

Where Do College Grads Live?

~Seattle tops the list with more than 60 % of adults having graduated college,
~ San Francisco; Washington, D.C.; Raleigh; Austin; and Minneapolis rounding out the top six.
~In the remaining four cities—Portland, Denver, Atlanta, and Boston—nearly half of adults have graduated college.

The superstar cities of New York and Los Angeles rank much lower down the list in % of College grads.
~New York ranks 18th. with 37.3 %
~Los Angeles ranks 24th with 34.4 %
~Chicago ranks 17th with 38.8 %
~San Jose in the heart of Silicon Valley ranks outside the top ten; it is 13th with 43.4 % about the same as Charlotte or Oakland.

I did not see Philadelphia in any list here. So apparently below 24th as LA rank is at. But not in the lowest rankings of some of them were given.

This doesn't surprise me one bit. Even though the huge influx of Millennials over the last decade has boosted the percentage of college-educated residents living in the city, metropolitan division* and metropolitan area, Philadelphia remains one of the least highly educated large metropolises in the country. When I moved here in 1983, one of the first articles I wrote was a "Puritan Boston and Quaker Philadelphia"-like (but less scholarly) takeout on the city I'd left and the city I'd moved to for the Philadelphia Gay News. That paper's editor at the time, a gentleman named Stanley Ward, told me when we discussed this article that he referred to the Philadelphia area as "the dumb belt."

As for the blues: See my comment on "folk arts" above. This survey definitely includes folk and popular arts performers, institutions and organizations in its tally of arts and cultural resources. An interesting factoid I read in the descriptions of the individual metro/micropolitan areas/divisions:

Quote:
Philadelphia is the location for one of the offices of SMU DataArts, tracking data and sharing knowledge about arts and culture nationally.
This outfit, which is a project of the National Center for Arts and Research at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, has been in existence for about 16 years. It began in 2004 as the Cultural Data Project, a project of the Philadelphia-based Pew Charitable Trusts, which sought to collect data about the arts and culture economy in Greater Philadelphia and Pennsylvania. The reason: both to help leaders of cultural institutions make more informed arguments for support from the public, business, and government, and to measure the impact of arts and culture on local economies (the local economy of Philadelphia at the beginning).

(Full disclosure: I've been part of the local arts and culture scene in years past: for nine years, I sang second tenor in the Philadelphia Gay Men's Chorus. You'll find a photo of Chicago's on the "About" landing page on the SMU DataArts website. One of our baritones moved to Chicago and joined the CGMC upon his arrival about six years ago. He found the internal atmosphere in that chorus more amenable than in ours and likes Chicago much better than he did Philadelphia.)

Old 04-19-2020, 08:40 AM

142 posts, read 86,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Country music counts. From the report's section on metropolitan Nashville:

And "folk arts" are definitely included in this report's definition of arts and culture. Here in.
(Full disclosure: I've been part of the local arts and culture scene in years past: for nine years, I sang second tenor in the Philadelphia Gay Men's Chorus. You'll find a photo of Chicago's on the "About" landing page on the SMU DataArts website. One of our baritones moved to Chicago and joined the CGMC upon his arrival about six years ago. He found the internal atmosphere in that chorus more amenable than in ours and likes Chicago much better than he did Philadelphia.)
Nice write-up and the Higher Arts is clearly in each city. It was all this Bro and Bar party city stuff that came in that kept getting hyped as if what makes one city tick or is that (tick tok) and even all its Midwest transplants live for the let's go for a beer-time.

Sports are ingrained in each city. But one city was being claimed its Bro culture has it rule? All seemed like stereotypical labels also and one city as just a Big 10 bro even its professional Midwest transplants as - It's Party-Time culture-less bros.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:44 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Nice write-up and the Higher Arts is clearly in each city. It was all this Bro and Bar party city stuff that came in that kept getting hyped as if what makes one city tick or is that (tick tok) and even all its Midwest transplants live for the let's go for a beer-time.

Sports are ingrained in each city. But one city was being claimed its Bro culture has it rule? All seemed like stereotypical labels also and one city as just a Big 10 bro even its professional Midwest transplants as - It's Party-Time culture-less bros.
I think we can safely conclude that the person who suggested Chicago's white sports culture ruled it out as an arts and culture capital (or implied that with the post) was as off base as someone who suggested Philly's notoriously rowdy fans do the same here would be.

I'm following up, however, because I left a footnote out of the prior post:

*The report ranks "metropolitan divisions" in very large (5m+) metropolitan areas separately. That's why you see Newark as well as New York and Silver Spring as well as Washington on the Top 20 list. The Philadelphia Metropolitan Division consists solely of the city of Philadelphia and its four collar counties in Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City