Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: #11-15 US cities?
Baltimore 15 11.19%
Denver 51 38.06%
Detroit 64 47.76%
Miami 82 61.19%
Minneapolis 64 47.76%
Phoenix 49 36.57%
San Diego 29 21.64%
Seattle 91 67.91%
Other 7 5.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 07:57 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Not by much though. I would agree that Phoenix has a stronger metro area while San Diego has a stronger downtown.
I would also add that Phoenix is a regional hub for the SW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 01:19 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Phoenix ahead of Denver.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:44 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
I love this. Finally an argument over ranking that doesn't involve the top 6 or southern giants.

This Phoenix vs SD argument is interesting.

SD is underestimated but I would give it to Phoenix over both SD and Denver.
Where is the 15-25 thread? That would be testy because I can think of twice the number of cities vying for those 10 spots

Old 05-01-2020, 01:48 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I love this. Finally an argument over ranking that doesn't involve the top 6 or southern giants.

SD is underestimated but I would give it to Phoenix over both SD and Denver.
Where is the 15-25 thread? That would be testy because I can think of twice the number of cities vying for those 10 spots
I am waiting too.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:06 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

My entire life I've believed that Phoenix was without question more important than SD. I mean, it's a state capital, the largest city in the SW, and the 10th most populous metro. It seems so obvious, right?

But then montclair posted the GDP by Metro data a few months back showing SD and Phoenix basically even and I began to question that blind assumption. Then, once you start digging into actual data and facts you begin to realize that they are pretty even. And that's to say, San Diego County is actually pretty competitive with Phoenix in importance (excluding the 2.1 million people in TJ and SW Riverside). At a global or national level, I'd say that San Diego has more impact and importance. Phoenix obviously has a strong regional role, whereas San Diego is overshadowed by LA (to an extent).

Old 05-01-2020, 02:56 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
My entire life I've believed that Phoenix was without question more important than SD. I mean, it's a state capital, the largest city in the SW, and the 10th most populous metro. It seems so obvious, right?

But then montclair posted the GDP by Metro data a few months back showing SD and Phoenix basically even and I began to question that blind assumption. Then, once you start digging into actual data and facts you begin to realize that they are pretty even. And that's to say, San Diego County is actually pretty competitive with Phoenix in importance (excluding the 2.1 million people in TJ and SW Riverside). At a global or national level, I'd say that San Diego has more impact and importance. Phoenix obviously has a strong regional role, whereas San Diego is overshadowed by LA (to an extent).
San Diego has a much higher COL, so it's residents are poorer in real terms than ours

Old 05-01-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
San Diego has a much higher COL, so it's residents are poorer in real terms than ours
Yeah, that is likely true. San Diego County residents spend 57% of their income on housing+transportation, whereas Maricopa County residents spend 53%.
https://htaindex.cnt.org/map/

You definitely get more bang for your buck in Phoenix, which is an amazingly good deal IMHO. It's very tempting as a relocation destination for me personally.

But...what does that have to do with how important a city is? If anything, important cities tend to be more expensive because they have desirable amenities and features.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:38 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Quote:
I'd switch Denver and Phoenix
Actually that would be fair..

Old 05-01-2020, 05:45 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Yeah, that is likely true. San Diego County residents spend 57% of their income on housing+transportation, whereas Maricopa County residents spend 53%.
https://htaindex.cnt.org/map/

You definitely get more bang for your buck in Phoenix, which is an amazingly good deal IMHO. It's very tempting as a relocation destination for me personally.

But...what does that have to do with how important a city is? If anything, important cities tend to be more expensive because they have desirable amenities and features.
I brought it up because you said our GDP's were even. The tie breaker is our lower cost of living, which gives us a higher GDP in real terms

Old 05-01-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I brought it up because you said our GDP's were even. The tie breaker is our lower cost of living, which gives us a higher GDP in real terms
"Tie" in what exactly? Having a lower cost of living doesn't make a place more important. Having a higher standard of living doesn't make a place more important. Being a sexier destination doesn't make a place more important.

You are really grasping at straws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City