Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: #11-15 US cities?
Baltimore 15 11.19%
Denver 51 38.06%
Detroit 64 47.76%
Miami 82 61.19%
Minneapolis 64 47.76%
Phoenix 49 36.57%
San Diego 29 21.64%
Seattle 91 67.91%
Other 7 5.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 09:36 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Why would I mean that?
He/she means that Chicago isn't considered "more important" than Washington DC in this day and age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 11:40 AM

8,857 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Why would I mean that?
DC is probably the #2 city in the US in importance. Of course there are many ways of defining "importance" in a city.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:16 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
DC is probably the #2 city in the US in importance. Of course there are many ways of defining "importance" in a city.
That's not a crazy opinion, but I wouldn't say it represents the general consensus either on CD or IRL. Also, FWIW, most professional studies typically rank LA and Chicago ahead of DC in the global pecking order.

Old 05-09-2020, 05:05 PM

There's no single pecking order. It depends what you're counting. I don't recall any professional studies measuring cities' importance specifically.

For example, it would be fine to call a freeway interchange more important than a signficant headquarters for example. Just a choice of what to consider important.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:48 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
There's no single pecking order. It depends what you're counting. I don't recall any professional studies measuring cities' importance specifically.

For example, it would be fine to call a freeway interchange more important than a signficant headquarters for example. Just a choice of what to consider important.
Most of these studies measure importance in one way or another. But you are right of course that there is no one way to define importance. It's a multidimensional concept and various studies focus on different metrics, and measure and weigh things in different ways. Nevertheless, although no two studies have exact same rankings, a certain pecking order is pretty apparent (for example NYC, London, Tokyo and Paris are almost always in the top 4 to 6 cities in the world). And in this pecking order LA and Chicago are ahead of DC.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:34 PM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 437,817 times
I don't think this 3rd tier needs to have five spots. I think this third tier only has two cities that truly meet the expectation, Miami and Seattle. Anyway - here's my ranking:

11.) Miami
12.) Seattle

13.) Detroit

14.) San Diego
15.) Denver
16.) Minneapolis

Miami and Seattle are no-brainers. They truly feel big league. Their peers are the Boston, Atlanta etc.
Detroit used to feel big league, now it's on the edge.
SD, Denver, and Minneapolis simply do not feel big league.

Phoenix can barely hang with any of the above cities. It may have a big population, but there's not much urban substance.
Baltimore absolutely does not belong in this conversation. Not at all. Modern-day Baltimore is a shell of its old self in terms of stature. If it's lucky, DC booming growth will eventually swallow up Baltimore into the DC MSA by 2030. I doubt that will happen, because so much of the growth is in NoVA.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:18 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIndependent View Post
I don't think this 3rd tier needs to have five spots. I think this third tier only has two cities that truly meet the expectation, Miami and Seattle. Anyway - here's my ranking:

11.) Miami
12.) Seattle

13.) Detroit

14.) San Diego
15.) Denver
16.) Minneapolis

Miami and Seattle are no-brainers. They truly feel big league. Their peers are the Boston, Atlanta etc.

Phoenix can barely hang with any of the above cities. It may have a big population, but there's not much urban substance.
Baltimore absolutely does not belong in this conversation. Not at all. Modern-day Baltimore is a shell of its old self in terms of stature. If it's lucky, DC booming growth will eventually swallow up Baltimore into the DC MSA by 2030. I doubt that will happen, because so much of the growth is in NoVA.
False

Old 05-13-2020, 08:48 PM

Depends what you're measuring. If it's urbanity, the San Diego, MSP, and Denver tier are clearly more urban than Phoenix in their cores.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:43 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,815 times
Quote:

11.) Miami
12.) Seattle

13.) Detroit

14.) San Diego
15.) Denver
16.) Minneapolis

Denver and San Diego do not belong above MSP. Also, not sure MSP is that far off from Detroit...

Quote:
I don't think this is true. Phoenix might not compete with regions of comparable population, but it's definitely in this group.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:23 PM

1,348 posts, read 878,093 times
Quote:

11.) Miami
12.) Seattle

13.) Detroit

14.) San Diego
15.) Denver
16.) Minneapolis

There is no way Mpls is that far removed from Detroit. I would say they're equal for different reasons and both are above Denver, PHX, and SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City