Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: #11-15 US cities?
Baltimore 15 11.19%
Denver 51 38.06%
Detroit 64 47.76%
Miami 82 61.19%
Minneapolis 64 47.76%
Phoenix 49 36.57%
San Diego 29 21.64%
Seattle 91 67.91%
Other 7 5.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 09:00 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
"Tie" in what exactly? Having a lower cost of living doesn't make a place more important. Having a higher standard of living doesn't make a place more important. Being a sexier destination doesn't make a place more important.

You are really grasping at straws.
I still don't buy your reasoning why San Diego is so important. I feel you're overselling San Diego more than I'm overselling Phoenix. And again, no one is really agreeing with you either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 09:13 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I still don't buy your reasoning why San Diego is so important. I feel you're overselling San Diego more than I'm overselling Phoenix. And again, no one is really agreeing with you either
Phoenix:
- State capital, largest city in SW, medium-sized airport hub, sizeable GDP, sports teams

San Diego:
- Four globally significant industries (defense, telecommunications, biotech/lifesciences, trade), 4th largest binational region in world + busiest border crossing, comparable GDP to Phoenix (but only if excluding 2.1M people...so not really), international hub for tech/innovation, better universities with more impact than Phoenix.

They seem pretty even to me--important in different ways. But ultimately I think San Diego's binational economy, military complex, and globally-relevant innovation sector have far greater importance than Phoenix being a big deal in Arizona.

Also, you aren't "overselling Phoenix". You've literally only mentioned sports teams and population. If anything, you are underselling it. That's why I specifically mentioned media market and airport hub. Because you haven't even made a solid argument on your own.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Phoenix:
- State capital, largest city in SW, medium-sized airport hub, sizeable GDP, sports teams

San Diego:
- Four globally significant industries (defense, telecommunications, biotech/lifesciences, trade), 4th largest binational region in world + busiest border crossing, comparable GDP to Phoenix (but only if excluding 2.1M people...so not really), international hub for tech/innovation, better universities with more impact than Phoenix.

They seem pretty even to me--important in different ways. But ultimately I think San Diego's binational economy, military complex, and globally-relevant innovation sector have far greater importance than Phoenix being a big deal in Arizona.
We have Luke AFB here, so we're a military town as well, and also have the tech industry growing here. You left that out

Old 05-01-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Phoenix:

San Diego:

Also, you aren't "overselling Phoenix". You've literally only mentioned sports teams and population. If anything, you are underselling it. That's why I specifically mentioned media market and airport hub. Because you haven't even made a solid argument on your own.
BTW, I don't know if you've noticed who's president, but his administration has made it clear that he doesn't want Mexican nationals here, so I don't even know that you can count the Tijuana side anymore

Side note, I hate tRump and didn't vote for him, just pointing this out

Old 05-01-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
BTW, I don't know if you've noticed who's president, but his administration has made it clear that he doesn't want Mexican nationals here, so I don't even know that you can count the Tijuana side anymore

Side note, I hate tRump and didn't vote for him, just pointing this out
LOL. you really are struggling, aren't you?

1) Phoenix metro has a larger Mexican immigrant population than San Diego. Either way, this doesn't even matter.

2) Last year, for the first time ever, Mexico actually surpassed Canada and China to become our largest trading partner.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
We have Luke AFB here, so we're a military town as well, and also have the tech industry growing here. You left that out
Grasping at straws.

#struggle

Old 05-01-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Grasping at straws.

#struggle
Okay, fine. We're the Wichita of the west. There, is that what you want to hear?

Old 05-02-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Okay, fine. We're the Wichita of the west. There, is that what you want to hear?
Again, that's not what I'm asserting. My claim is that there are credible arguments that San Diego is more important than Phoenix--which I've listed.

You started this conversation by scoffing at the suggestion that San Diego could be more important and have somehow managed to drag out this debate, yet haven't done anything to substantiate your predisposition. It's amusing that you think it is "so obvious" that Phoenix is more important, but are struggling to demonstrate why.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:13 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
I know I sound like a broken record on this but I have been saying for a while that Seattle is a dark horse in these things.

I think Seattle will be firmly in the 8-11 range with Atlanta and DFW in the near future.
The only thing holding it apart from those two is the massive growth in DFW and Atlanta
But pound for pound I think Seattle can hang.

I see Seattle as a top 10 metro, only problem is we have 12 top 10 metros

Old 05-02-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I know I sound like a broken record on this but I have been saying for a while that Seattle is a dark horse in these things.

I think Seattle will be firmly in the 8-11 range with Atlanta and DFW in the near future.
The only thing holding it apart from those two is the massive growth in DFW and Atlanta
But pound for pound I think Seattle can hang.

I see Seattle as a top 10 metro, only problem is we have 12 top 10 metros
Haha, yeah that's a good way of putting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City