Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Oakland 20 52.63%
Providence 18 47.37%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 01:20 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times

Advertisements

Well, for starters, both Oakland and Providence have the most beat-up roads in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 01:22 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Well, for starters, both Oakland and Providence have the most beat-up roads in America.
It's not possible for Providence to have worse roads than we have here in Oakland.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:00 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Providence is the more edgy and artistic sister city to Boston like Oakland to San Fran. In Providence sketchier and more risqué stuff is more permissible. Public life is more diverse and the inner city lifestyle are more prominent than Boston. It’s also not that white/ Latino. Not as diverse as Oakland but still super diverse.

Providence is about 42% Latino 33% white 15% Black 7% Asian 3% mixed.

Oakland is closer to 29% white 26% Latino 23% black 16% asian.

Oakland and Providence are both mainly 2-3 story wood frame densely urban areas . They lean heavily on the arts and have industrial pasts. That being said Oakland is far larger and greater than Lrovidence.

A better comparison for both size and function would be Providence to Tacoma WA

or

Worcester to Tacoma WA
I'm not sure about Providence vs. Tacoma. Providence is anchored by prestigious universities, including an Ivy League School (Brown) and one of the best Art Schools in the world (RISD), while Tacoma is anchored by the large joint Army/Air Force military base just to its south (JBLM). Don't get me wrong, Tacoma has a pretty strong creative class and a pretty good art/music scene, but it's not on Providence's level in that regard. Providence also has a much larger Latino population. On a quick glance, Tacoma and Worcester seems like it might be a pretty good comparison, but I'd have to look into it more. (Although Worcester is further and more removed from Boston than Tacoma is from Seattle.)

Old 04-30-2020, 04:42 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It's not possible for Providence to have worse roads than we have here in Oakland.
Rhode Island-objectively-has the worst roads in America and has for at least a decade. Providence being 30% poor has the worst of the worst after Central Falls, RI.

Poverty, corruption, age and the icy/snowy conditions give Providence the literal worst paved roads I’ve seen..up there with Baltimore.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I'm not sure about Providence vs. Tacoma. Providence is anchored by prestigious universities, including an Ivy League School (Brown) and one of the best Art Schools in the world (RISD), while Tacoma is anchored by the large joint Army/Air Force military base just to its south (JBLM). Don't get me wrong, Tacoma has a pretty strong creative class and a pretty good art/music scene, but it's not on Providence's level in that regard. Providence also has a much larger Latino population. On a quick glance, Tacoma and Worcester seems like it might be a pretty good comparison, but I'd have to look into it more. (Although Worcester is further and more removed from Boston than Tacoma is from Seattle.)
I see what your am saying but on three points you’d still be dealing with the same in Worcester

1. Worcester and Providence are equidistant from Boston. And equally an connected to Boston.

2. Worcester is still 2x more Latino than Tacoma

3. Worcester is anchored by many colleges: Clark, WPI, Assumption, Worcester State, Holy Cross, UMass Medical

Providence is a larger Worcester. If you were to shrink Worcester down to its core 18 square miles it’d be just as Latino and poor but with a smaller population. Providence didn’t annex as much suburban area.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:44 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Providence>Oakland

Im not a fan of Oakland. Providence is more my speed.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Providence>Oakland

Im not a fan of Oakland. Providence is more my speed.
Please, elaborate..Oakland is a larger better west coast Providence IMO. Providence wins for water, affordability and if you’re into Carribean vibes or attending school..but that’s it. Oakland is more vibrant, more diverse, better transportation, much better weather, and cleaner. Water is still accessible too.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:24 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,857 times
Quote:
I see what your am saying but on three points you’d still be dealing with the same in Worcester

1. Worcester and Providence are equidistant from Boston. And equally an connected to Boston.

2. Worcester is still 2x more Latino than Tacoma

3. Worcester is anchored by many colleges: Clark, WPI, Assumption, Worcester State, Holy Cross, UMass Medical

Providence is a larger Worcester. If you were to shrink Worcester down to its core 18 square miles it’d be just as Latino and poor but with a smaller population. Providence didn’t annex as much suburban area.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. In some aspects, Tacoma could be a decent comparison for these cities, although in terms of universities Tacoma doesn’t have much besides a UW extension. Also, although Tacoma is generally a liberal city, the strong military presence in Pierce County adds a slightly more conservative vibe.
Tacoma also has a signficantly higher violent crime rate than Worcester and slightly higher than Providence.

Speaking of which, one advantage Providence has over Oakland is it appears to be safer. But in most other aspects I think Oakland comes out on top. Also worth noting that although it's technically not in city limits, UC Berkeley is essentially adjacent to it. Also, although it's not as prestigious as RISD, Oakland also has an excellent art school (CCA).

Old 04-30-2020, 01:01 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Please, elaborate..Oakland is a larger better west coast Providence IMO. Providence wins for water, affordability and if you’re into Carribean vibes or attending school..but that’s it. Oakland is more vibrant, more diverse, better transportation, much better weather, and cleaner. Water is still accessible too.
Providence has superior waterfront infrastructure, but Oakland has a more prominent coastline, given that the San Francisco Bay is much more expansive than the Providence River.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Yeah, I see what you're saying. In some aspects, Tacoma could be a decent comparison for these cities, although in terms of universities Tacoma doesn’t have much besides a UW extension. Also, although Tacoma is generally a liberal city, the strong military presence in Pierce County adds a slightly more conservative vibe.
Tacoma also has a signficantly higher violent crime rate than Worcester and slightly higher than Providence.

Speaking of which, one advantage Providence has over Oakland is it appears to be safer. But in most other aspects I think Oakland comes out on top. Also worth noting that although it's technically not in city limits, UC Berkeley is essentially adjacent to it. Also, although it's not as prestigious as RISD, Oakland also has an excellent art school (CCA).
I mean i think their fine comparison. Neither Worcester Providence feels like a college town if your not in college. They're not so its not that big a deal.

Worcester is super safe overall. Just feel kind of desolate and definitely ruun down. Providence has much higher crime because-like Tacoma-the criminal elements of the larger city (Boston/Seattle) migrate there. Worcester has always been gritty and grimy attits core and in its core but never really dangerous.

Providence also has a looooong history of mobs/crime/corruption. It's also on I-95 so it gets many of the shiftless and criminally from both NYC and Boston. In addition to that several other large low income cities (NB, FR, Brockton, pawtucket, Central Falls) are nearby and that provides a much larger drug market than Worcester. Providence is twice densely populated and much less hilly. That increased walkability and density increases the chance you find your victim on foot out and about.

Providence surely is safer than Oakland but its a city that feels more dangerous than it really is. South Providence is pretty damn rough fwiw.

The biggest advantage Providence has over Oakland is the COL. For starters- the average home nin Prov goes for about 240k. Average home in Oakland will run you 800k. And I think there's pretty valid reasoning for that. In an ideal situation im picking Oaktown over ProVegas for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City