Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Oakland 20 52.63%
Providence 18 47.37%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 01:03 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Providence has superior waterfront infrastructure, but Oakland has a more prominent coastline, given that the San Francisco Bay is much more expansive than the Providence River.
Totally agree and Providence closer to legit beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 01:59 PM

373 posts, read 252,492 times
Oakland for sure outside of the crime

Old 04-30-2020, 02:04 PM

Honestly ..Oakland needs the crime to remain Oakland. With Providence level crime it’s just be East San Francisco due to how expensive it would be

So I don’t think you can even really say “outside of the crime”, if that’s the only thing keeping the median home value under $1M

Old 04-30-2020, 03:01 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Honestly ..Oakland needs the crime to remain Oakland. With Providence level crime it’s just be East San Francisco due to how expensive it would be

So I don’t think you can even really say “outside of the crime”, if that’s the only thing keeping the median home value under $1M
That's a good point - even though the nice parts of Oakland are actually quite safe I think the general reputation of the city as a dangerous place does affect home values.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
That's a good point - even though the nice parts of Oakland are actually quite safe I think the general reputation of the city as a dangerous place does affect home values.
There’s that yea, but it is legitimately a very high crime city. And crime is sort of a sort of the Oakland brand for better or for worse.

If we’re gonna pick Oakland we have to keep in mind that crime is nearly 2x as high and home prices are nearly 4x as high as Providence. Maybe this is why Providence is winning?

Old 04-30-2020, 04:09 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
It’s kind of surprising that Oakland has more crime despite being wealthier.

Anyway, I know that one thing Providence is known for (locally at least) is WaterFire. Does Oakland have any similar large festivals that attract visitors from around the Bay?

Also how do the cities compare in terms of nightlife? How about parks and recreation?

Old 04-30-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post

Anyway, I know that one thing Providence is known for (locally at least) is WaterFire. Does Oakland have any similar large festivals that attract visitors from around the Bay?

Also how do the cities compare in terms of nightlife? How about parks and recreation?
Wealth doesn’t really directly correlate to crime . Once the criminal ties, gangs, infrastructure and culture is set in place it takes many many decades to get rid of it. The problem can set in in 5 years and take 50 to rubout.

Providence never established a gang culture.

Providence used to have great nightlife for its size but I spoke to a friend there 4 days ago and asked him about life and he said nightlife in Providence was subpar nowadays

Old 04-30-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Totally agree and Providence closer to legit beaches.
I'm not sure about that - how far is the closest beach that you'd consider legit to Providence?

On a weekend day without much traffic (okay, maybe that's wishful thinking) Oakland is about a 45 minute drive from Half Moon Bay, 60 minutes from Stinson Beach, and 70 minutes from the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post

Oakland's nightlife provides a nice alternative to San Francisco - it's less uptight and funkier. However, it doesn't have nearly the variety or quantity that SF has.

Not sure how it compares to Providence. I'd assume Providence has decent nightlife because of the colleges, although BBMM was saying he'd heard it had deteriorated.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I'm not sure about that - how far is the closest beach that you'd consider legit to Providence?

On a weekend day without much traffic (okay, maybe that's wishful thinking) Oakland is about a 45 minute drive from Half Moon Bay, 60 minutes from Stinson Beach, and 70 minutes from the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.

I’m sure.

Nowhere in the State of Rhode Island is more than 40 minutes from a beach.

Providence is about 30 minutes from North Kingstown Beach and Narragansett Beach.

Less than 30 minutes to Plum Point Beach and Calf Pasture Beach.

Barrington Beach and Oakland beach are 10-20 minutes from Providence.

South Shore Beach is 44 minutes away.

All of the Newport Beaches are about 40 minutes away.

There are several more beaches I didn’t name. Driving 50 minutes in any direction from Providence will literally take you out of the state, or onto an actual island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City