Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Oakland 20 52.63%
Providence 18 47.37%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 05:02 PM

6,820 posts, read 6,075,241 times

Advertisements

Let me start this off by saying that I know next to nothing about Oakland. From what I do know about it, it seems like (at least historically) Oakland’s relationship to San Francisco is similar to Providence’s relationship with Boston. So I figured: if the larger cities are comparable, then perhaps the smaller ones are too. I searched the forum, and couldn’t find a pre-existing thread on the topic.

So my question has two parts: first, are Oakland and Providence comparable in the first place? Second, [if they are comparable,] how do they compare in terms of amenities, culture, and other factors? I will leave the criteria mostly up to individual interpretation. I’ll include a generic “which is better?” poll for good measure.

Try to focus more on the cities rather than the metro areas. If you must, the Providence MSA (e.g. Fall River, Newport, New Bedford, and Narragansett) can be in the discussion but not metro Boston. Likewise for Oakland, try to keep discussion limited to the East Bay without using SF or SJ as points in Oakland’s favor. Unless, of course, that is a super unreasonable request. See question #1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 05:09 PM

795 posts, read 485,960 times
Interesting! I can see where you found correlation between the two cities.

All I did was Google their populations: Oakland 429,000 + and Providence 179,000 +.
As far as population: Berkeley, CA 121,000 +, so on population Providence and Berkley are more similar. Also they're still both coastal cities and close to their major city.

But I honestly can't factually compare anything else between the two. They may have quite a bit in common. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds!

Old 04-29-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulll View Post
All I did was Google their populations, Oakland is at 429,000 + and Providence is 179,000 +
The land area of the city propers is a bit different, though. Oakland is 56 square miles compared to Providence’s 18. PVD has its own MSA and UA, while Oakland seems to be always lumped in with SF on the metro-level. Despite this, Oakland has a history of professional sports separate from SF while the best PVD has ever had was the minor league Red Sox team (which it is losing).

Old 04-29-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
The land area of the city propers is a bit different, though. Oakland is 56 square miles compared to Providence’s 18. PVD has its own MSA and UA, while Oakland seems to be always lumped in with SF on the metro-level. Despite this, Oakland has a history of professional sports separate from SF while the best PVD has ever had was the minor league Red Sox team (which it is losing).

I see! Is Oakland closer to San Francisco than Providence is to Boston?

The 'PawSox'?! Awww

Old 04-29-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulll View Post
I see! Is Oakland closer to San Francisco than Providence is to Boston?

The 'PawSox'?! Awww
The drive from Oakland to SF is much shorter than the drive from Providence to Boston, but there’s nothing but water between the former, while the latter are connected by a series of towns.

Oakland is (was?) considered the African-American mecca of the Bay Area, but the black population has decreased in recent years. Providence was [always?] considered a more blue collar, liberal, and artistic counterpart to Boston. Considering the latter’s recent economic growth and the former’s relative stagnation, the difference has only become more pronounced over the last few decades.

Demographically, Oakland has a pretty even mix of “races”, while Providence is mostly a white/latino split. Oakland has a higher median household income, higher per capita income, and a lower percent of folks living in poverty. It also has significantly higher housing costs.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:31 PM

93,693 posts, read 124,432,072 times
Quote:
Providence also has AHL Hockey as well. It does have Division 1 sports, but some may or may not consider that level to be significant.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
The drive from Oakland to SF is much shorter than the drive from Providence to Boston, but there’s nothing but water between the former, while the latter are connected by a series of towns.

Oakland is (was?) considered the African-American mecca of the Bay Area, but the black population has decreased in recent years. Providence was [always?] considered a more blue collar, liberal, and artistic counterpart to Boston. Considering the latter’s recent economic growth and the former’s relative stagnation, the difference has only become more pronounced over the last few decades.
Thank you for sharing.

It's interesting how cities 'rise and fall' really.

I wonder if Providence will get a new baseball team..

Old 04-29-2020, 07:14 PM

21,735 posts, read 12,873,217 times
Quote:

Demographically, Oakland has a pretty even mix of “races”, while Providence is mostly a white/latino split. Oakland has a higher median household income, higher per capita income, and a lower percent of folks living in poverty. It also has significantly higher housing costs.
Providence is the more edgy and artistic sister city to Boston like Oakland to San Fran. In Providence sketchier and more risqué stuff is more permissible. Public life is more diverse and the inner city lifestyle are more prominent than Boston. It’s also not that white/ Latino. Not as diverse as Oakland but still super diverse.

Providence is about 42% Latino 33% white 15% Black 7% Asian 3% mixed.

Oakland is closer to 29% white 26% Latino 23% black 16% asian.

Oakland and Providence are both mainly 2-3 story wood frame densely urban areas . They lean heavily on the arts and have industrial pasts. That being said Oakland is far larger and greater than Lrovidence.

A better comparison for both size and function would be Providence to Tacoma WA

or

Worcester to Tacoma WA

Old 04-29-2020, 07:18 PM

21,735 posts, read 12,873,217 times
Foxboro is closer to Providence(18 miles)) than Boston(22 miles) and is on the physical border of the Providence/ Boston MSA lone.

Providence has the Patriots and the Friars and the Rams.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
The land area of the city propers is a bit different, though. Oakland is 56 square miles compared to Providence’s 18.
To elaborate: between Providence, Pawtucket, East Providence, Central Falls, and North Providence you have 350,615 people in 47.1 square miles compared to Oakland’s 429,082 in 55.8 square miles.

With demographics: 46% white, 32% latino, 14% black, 4% asian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Foxboro is closer to Providence(18 miles)) than Boston(22 miles) and is on the physical border of the Providence/ Boston MSA lone.
The Raiders and Athletics play[ed] within the Oakland city limits, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
A better comparison for both size and function would be
Providence to Tacoma WA
or
Worcester to Tacoma WA
I think Worcester is more similar to Tacoma than Providence is. Maybe another thread for another day. First I’d like to see if this one will go anywhere.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 04-29-2020 at 07:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City