Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Oakland 20 52.63%
Providence 18 47.37%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 10:45 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Or perhaps Oakland is just Boston without the downtown and universities.
No, Boston is one of the nation's great urban centers, Oakland is well, not, but cool nonetheless.

I will say this, UC Berkeley practically bordering Oakland has had a profound effect on the kind of people that have settled in Oakland over the decades, fostering a fairly large intellectual, politically active, academically centered population in a huge chunk of the city. The Oakland Hills are areas between the campus and DT Oakland is home to more than it's fair share of nobel prize laureates, scientists, economists, etc.

FYI UC was in Oakland but moved to Berkeley, however Oakland is the HQ of the entire UC system.

At the same time, I really appreciate the fact that much of Oakland remains hood and I hope that doesnt change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 10:55 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, Boston is one of the nation's great urban centers, Oakland is well, not, but cool nonetheless.

I will say this, UC Berkeley practically bordering Oakland has had a profound effect on the kind of people that have settled in Oakland over the decades, fostering a fairly large intellectual, politically active, academically centered population in a huge chunk of the city. The Oakland Hills are areas between the campus and DT Oakland is home to more than it's fair share of nobel prize laureates, scientists, economists, etc.

FYI UC was in Oakland but moved to Berkeley, however Oakland is the HQ of the entire UC system.

At the same time, I really appreciate the fact that much of Oakland remains hood and I hope that doesnt change.
Yea but if you were to go south of Massachusetts Avenue it's not really that different than Oakland imo, demographically, looks wise, price wise, politically, and sizewise. Even built form is somewhat similar. south of Mass Ave Boston has only 1 major university, no tech industry, no finance, its a lot more ..working class for the most part. It also makes the population much closer to Oakland in size.

Its not perfect but i dont think its thaatfar off.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:00 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oakland is well, not, but cool nonetheless.
Any thoughts on Oakland’s [and Providence’s] national peers, 18Montclair?

Quote:
Yea but if you were to go south of Massachusetts Avenue it's not really that different than Oakland imo
Imo, it’s rarely fair to compare a collection of neighborhoods within one city to an entire other city. Furthermore, Boston’s southern neighborhoods are tiny in land area compared to Oakland (which is larger than all of Boston proper). They also lack those really nice, trendy areas in Oakland that 18Montclair mentioned before.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Any thoughts on Oakland’s [and Providence’s] national peers, 18Montclair?

Imo, it’s rarely fair to compare a collection of neighborhoods within one city to an entire other city. Furthermore, Boston’s southern neighborhoods are tiny in land area compared to Oakland (which is larger than all of Boston proper). They also lack those really nice, trendy areas in Oakland that 18Montclair mentioned before.
It’d be like 38 square miles to 55?? but Boston would probably have more people. And it doesn’t have trendy neighborhoods (Mission Hill l, Savin Hil, Part of the South End, and JP)

Old 05-01-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
That’s a shame. Wonder what changed?

Considering the closure of Machine and the potential sale of the Middle East, even a subpar Providence still probably has the better nightlife between the two.
https://vanyaland.com/2020/05/01/gre...r-coronavirus/

The Great Scott in Allston is shutting down for good. Landlord refuses to renew the lease.

Great Scott was named the 8th greatest American music venue by Consequence of Sound in 2016, which wrote: “For all of Boston’s cliched drunken swagger and collegiate crowds, no place makes the most of alcohol and youth quite like Great Scott… Shows are earplug-worthy loud, but the sound crew prevents highs from getting drowned out. Shows run late, but it’s right next to public transportation. …Great Scott offers the intimacy of your favorite college venue without the crummy conditions that keep you from returning as an adult.”

The closing of Great Scott is a devastating blow to the city’s music scene, and the city of Boston in general.

More to come.”

Old 05-02-2020, 06:42 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Yea but if you were to go south of Massachusetts Avenue it's not really that different than Oakland imo, demographically, looks wise, price wise, politically, and sizewise. Even built form is somewhat similar. south of Mass Ave Boston has only 1 major university, no tech industry, no finance, its a lot more ..working class for the most part. It also makes the population much closer to Oakland in size.

Its not perfect but i dont think its thaatfar off.

I get the point but want to note that both Northeastern and UMASS Boston are south of Mass. Ave. And while they are smaller you have Wentworth, Mass College of Pharmacy, Mass College of Art, Emmanuel, Simmons...all those put together are pretty significant. Do you consider that south of Mass. Ave.? Or do you really mean Mass. Ave./Huntington Ave. when you say that? Nevertheless, their influence all spills into Mission Hill.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:15 AM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times
Quote:
https://vanyaland.com/2020/05/01/gre...r-coronavirus/

The Great Scott in Allston is shutting down for good. Landlord refuses to renew the lease.

Great Scott was named the 8th greatest American music venue by Consequence of Sound in 2016, which wrote: “For all of Boston’s cliched drunken swagger and collegiate crowds, no place makes the most of alcohol and youth quite like Great Scott… Shows are earplug-worthy loud, but the sound crew prevents highs from getting drowned out. Shows run late, but it’s right next to public transportation. …Great Scott offers the intimacy of your favorite college venue without the crummy conditions that keep you from returning as an adult.”

The closing of Great Scott is a devastating blow to the city’s music scene, and the city of Boston in general.

More to come.”
Yes big loss for the neighborhood

Old 05-02-2020, 07:16 AM

9,289 posts, read 14,894,337 times
Quote:
Oakland is more comparable to St. Paul, Newark, Long Beach, Aurora

Providence is more comparable to Fort Lauderdale, New Haven, KCK

I have lived in Providence for 40 years now and I would never mention Ft Lauderdale in the same breath (I used to live there) or Kansas City Ks. which is I assume what KCK is.

The thing to know about Providence is that some areas are far more livable than others. The idea that overall house prices in Prov are 240k is incredible misleading. The only 240k house you'll get here is in the ghetto and it will need to be re-built. My neighborhood (which is very livable) ranges from 500k into the millions and I love it here- especially the cultural aspects and the historic ambience of it.

My memories of Oakland are from decades ago, and then it had plenty of slum areas and was the sad step-sister of SF. SF was the The Only City- now unaffordable for most. I do not know enough about Oakland now to comment- has it improved?

Old 05-02-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I get the point but want to note that both Northeastern and UMASS Boston are south of Mass. Ave. And while they are smaller you have Wentworth, Mass College of Pharmacy, Mass College of Art, Emmanuel, Simmons...all those put together are pretty significant. Do you consider that south of Mass. Ave.? Or do you really mean Mass. Ave./Huntington Ave. when you say that? Nevertheless, their influence all spills into Mission Hill.
The only major like university is Northeastern. UMASS Boston has just built two dorm buildings in the past 2 years and theyre shoddy at that-I see John immediate plan for expansion, it’s Still 90% commuter schools as are much of the other colleges you listed but I include them all.

They’d be economic drivers for south of Mass Ave but they still wouldn’t sustain a thriving economy. I really wouldn’t call most of those significant though-Northeastern is the only actual traditional university. The rest are all pretty much on top of each other with commuters and no campus to speak of white much less economic impact and notoriety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City