Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 01:25 PM

79 posts, read 35,340 times

Advertisements

Very cool and fun thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 02:55 PM

472 posts, read 346,357 times
You are great, Danny! Thanks for putting it all together.

Old 08-08-2020, 03:10 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post

(tallies, kudos and shout-outs deleted)

So now that the tournament is done, what fixtures were your favorites, and which ones did you enjoy most looking at the results for? Also if you have a favorite moment what was it?

Once Again I hope you all enjoyed this!!!
I think I enjoyed the early rounds the most. That was where the partisans and fans of the disfavored states and those in the middle made cases for going against what the conventional wisdom might dictate. You had people in the first two rounds arguing on behalf of just about every U.S. state (you may recall that I put in a good word for Kansas in Round 1, even while I dissed eastern Colorado as "Far Western Kansas" in that same round).

By contrast, the Elite Eight and Final Four were sort of anticlimactic, as the Usual Suspects made it to the top.

But something else matters too: the personalities of the participants.

It's often hard to discern this from simply reading words on a screen, but writing when done well is an expression (or extension) of one's personality: you can sense from the written word what sort of a person the writer might be when they're presenting themselves, as they are in a forum like this.

Most of those who voted also had personalities that came out in their comments on the various states. But IMO the most forceful personality was that of the tournament organizer, who brimmed with enthusiasm and clearly was having big fun putting all this together.

Danny K, our votes are likely to cancel each other out in November, but I for one find your personality highly appealing as evidenced here. Thank you for organizing this and shepherding us all through it!

Old 08-08-2020, 04:53 PM

127 posts, read 111,521 times
Thanks for the thread, amazing job.

Kinda knew Cali was going to win it, but it was interesting nonetheless.
There were some surprises for sure.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:33 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrda99 View Post
Thanks for the thread, amazing job.

Kinda knew Cali was going to win it, but it was interesting nonetheless.
There were some surprises for sure.
I had a feeling California was going to win as well, but I thought Texas, New York, and Florida might've had some chances though! Also definitely some surprising results beforehand.

Like I am very surprised how far Colorado got, and did not expect it to knockout Virginia and Pennsylvania.

Oregon also surprised me quite a bit as well. I thought it was going to go out to either Illinois or New Jersey.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:46 AM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Thanks for a fun tournament, Danny! I thoroughly enjoyed participating and reading the reasons why others preferred certain states over other states.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:00 AM

127 posts, read 111,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I had a feeling California was going to win as well, but I thought Texas, New York, and Florida might've had some chances though! Also definitely some surprising results beforehand.

Like I am very surprised how far Colorado got, and did not expect it to knockout Virginia and Pennsylvania.

Oregon also surprised me quite a bit as well. I thought it was going to go out to either Illinois or New Jersey.
Yup, pretty much the sam surprises.
I was expecting CO to knockout VA, though.
As a huge fan of Chicago, I am a bit disappointed, but ehh, what can you do. I'm pretty sure the city is like 99% of the state's appeal on this forum and this is a states tournament so it's understandable.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:03 PM

613 posts, read 327,024 times
Thanks Danny for the thread and a great job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City