Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2020, 06:45 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,635,159 times

Advertisements

FINAL Round

Deadline: Friday August 7th at 8:00pm EST, 7:00pm CST, 6:00pm MST, 5:00pm PST

California vs Texas

New York vs Florida (For Third Place)

So there we have it. It is the FINAL Round, folks!!!! Just letting you know, we've got the Final and also The Third Place Fixture as well. Who is Ready for the Final Round?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 07:00 PM

405 posts, read 196,117 times
California and New York.
Both have better cities/suburbs, universities, shopping,
food, geography etc .
Mainly talking about NYC, but there's nothing in Florida close.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:22 PM

747 posts, read 496,752 times
New York was definitely robbed. NYC alone is enough to place New York on another level than California.

Anyway, I’ll vote for:

Texas vs. California- having lived in SF and spent lots of time in LA, if California did not have those cities, I’d pick it as the clear cut top state in the country. Unfortunately, those two overhyped and filthy cities basically embody the state. So I’m forced to go with Texas, which is not my favorite either but Dallas/Houston/Austin/San Antonio are all pretty clean, underrated, and affordable. Texas wins this one.

Florida vs. New York- Just by virtue of having the greatest city in the world, New York wins here. NYC is easily the best, most powerful, most influential, most glamorous, and most discussed city on the planet. Conversely, Florida’s chief city, Miami, is gross. Gives me anxiety just thinking about being in the city. Feel like I need a shower already. Tampa and Orlando are wonderful but Miami looms too large in its suckiness. New York in a cakewalk.

Last edited by _Uncommon_; 07-31-2020 at 08:43 PM..

Old 07-31-2020, 08:38 PM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
California vs Texas

New York vs Florida (For Third Place)

Old 07-31-2020, 08:38 PM

405 posts, read 196,117 times
Nyc is a beast. That's for sure. Upstate has some nice scenery and decent cities. I root for Buffalo actually.
Its university system is great too.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
New York was definitely robbed. NYC alone is enough to place New York on another level than California.
I am honestly not that huge of a fan of NYC. It is a nice city, but I feel that it is so crowded, and really hard to get from one place to another within the city. Almost every time I go to NYC, I just feel so overwhelmed. It might just be me, but I don't look at NYC as highly as many others do.

As for California, I am not a fan of San Francisco either, in fact I do not like that city at all. Way too liberal. However, I do like Los Angeles and San Diego. Los Angeles has some really cool suburbs that NYC does not have: Beverly Hills, Westlake Village, Santa Clarita, La Canada Flintridge, La Crescenta Montrose, Orange County, Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. They are so beautiful and there is nothing like that in New York outside of NYC.

Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties are my absolute favorites, not just in the state but in the whole country. Have you ever been to Thousand Oaks? It is so beautiful and such a great suburban town. Ventura is also coastal and one of my favorite towns ever. Santa Barbara is the BEST!!! Have you ever seen Stearns Wharf and Pier Santa Barbara? Look up Thousand Oaks, Ventura, and Santa Barbara on Google Images, and see what pops up. You will be amazed.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:51 PM

Here are Mine:

California vs Texas: Gosh this is a tough one. If you are talking about the cities, I would go with Texas, because Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and El Paso are just very beautiful and quite interesting cities like no others in the country. I feel that cities in Texas are very unique. However, I cannot vote against Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties in California. Seriously: Thousand Oaks, Ventura, and Santa Barbara is just so beautiful and the coastline is extremely stunning. Oh My Gosh, Stearns Wharf & The Santa Barbara Pier is one of my favorite places in the whole world. Also while Los Angeles is alright of a city, it has a lot of suburban areas like no other city: Orange County, Beverly Hills, Westlake Village, Malibu, Santa Clarita, La Canada Flintridge, La Crescenta Montrose, San Bernardino & Riverside Counties. These suburbs are so beautiful and unique in a way that I've never seen any other city have suburban areas like these.

New York vs Florida: Disney World, and The Keys!!! Really have trouble voting against them. I honestly must say that California is my number 1 state, followed by Florida. Those two states are my favorites. Shame that Florida lost to Texas, but Texas is a great state as well and I don't mind FL losing to Texas. Florida is also the Water Park Capital of the whole country. Universal Volcano Bay, Aquatica, Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, and the Water Park near Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. Coastal Florida is also nice, and its cool how you've got the strong waves on the East Coast around Miami, Daytona Beach, Cocoa Beach, and then also the milder water on the west coast with Naples, Sarasota, and Saint Petersburg. So much to LOVE about Florida!!!

Old 07-31-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I am honestly not that huge of a fan of NYC. It is a nice city, but I feel that it is so crowded, and really hard to get from one place to another within the city. Almost every time I go to NYC, I just feel so overwhelmed. It might just be me, but I don't look at NYC as highly as many others do.

As for California, I am not a fan of San Francisco either, in fact I do not like that city at all. Way too liberal. However, I do like Los Angeles and San Diego. Los Angeles has some really cool suburbs that NYC does not have: Beverly Hills, Westlake Village, Santa Clarita, La Canada Flintridge, La Crescenta Montrose, Orange County, Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. They are so beautiful and there is nothing like that in New York outside of NYC.

Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties are my absolute favorites, not just in the state but in the whole country. Have you ever been to Thousand Oaks? It is so beautiful and such a great suburban town. Ventura is also coastal and one of my favorite towns ever. Santa Barbara is the BEST!!! Have you ever seen Stearns Wharf and Pier Santa Barbara? Look up Thousand Oaks, Ventura, and Santa Barbara on Google Images, and see what pops up. You will be amazed.
I used to live in California and most of the areas you’re speaking of in California are either very rich, very suburban, or both. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with either, but every state has rich and/or suburban areas. That doesn’t impress me. Nice regular areas for regular people does. NY’s urbanism does. Its status as the most powerful city in the world does.

Also, totally disagree about Riverside and San Bernardino. I’m shocked you even mentioned ether as places to brag about for California. They are absolutely terrible.

We can agree on San Francisco. Would be an amazing city if all the people moved away and the city just started over, cleaned it, got rid of homeless and junkies, and instituted rent control policies. Right now, it’s a mess and it’s probably beyond repair. It’s so unfortunate.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
I used to live in California and most of the areas you’re speaking of in California are either very rich, very suburban, or both. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with either, but every state has rich and/or suburban areas. That doesn’t impress me. Nice regular areas for regular people does. NY’s urbanism does. Its status as the most powerful city in the world does.

We can agree on San Francisco. Would be an amazing city if all the people moved away and the city just started over, cleaned it, got rid of homeless and junkies, and instituted rent control policies. Right now, it’s a mess and it’s probably beyond repair. It’s so unfortunate.
I totally see where you are coming from. Would you say Santa Barbara is very rich? (I know it is very upscale obviously but just want your opinion on it).

Old 07-31-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I totally see where you are coming from. Would you say Santa Barbara is very rich? (I know it is very upscale obviously but just want your opinion on it).
Yes, very rich and very white. Nothing wrong with either btw. I would just expect to discuss that on suburb-data.com and not here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City