Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2020, 10:48 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,987,814 times

Advertisements

California
Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 11:03 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
California & Texas

Old 07-29-2020, 06:17 AM

841 posts, read 825,114 times
California over New York - While California certainly has its negatives, including way too high cost of living and overcrowding in many areas, there really is no other state with such spectacular diversity in scenery and climate. There is a reason why so many have chosen it as a place to live, in spite of its flaws.

Texas over Florida - I actually found this one to be a hard choice. There is something appealing about the Texas brand, its independent identity, and economic powerhouse cities. I don't have any desire to live in Texas (maybe Austin or El Paso for the desert climate and Southwestern location), as I am really drawn to aesthetics and find much of Texas to be dull in that regard. But I can appreciate its significance and why it's at the top of the list of states.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:41 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
California- I grew up there and still love it
Texas- Met my wife there, but all I can think about with TX and FL now is coronavirus and how their politics will doom them in that regard.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:10 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,362 times
California vs New York

California is lovely and I wouldn't mind living there. NY has beaches that are almost as nice. Long Island's climate isn't too brutal, but you can also get heavy snow in the north. And there is no city in Cali that can compete with NYC.

Texas vs Florida

I 've been to Florida several times. Outside of the Miami area, the state doesn't appeal to me. I've never been to Texas, but I'm in no rush to go, either. I guess I'll go with Texas based on its diversity of climate and landscape. I'd take NY or CA over either one of these states any day of the week.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:11 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
California vs New York - the weather and natural beauty of CA makes this one tough, but I'll stick with what I know. Upstate NY is really great

Texas vs Florida - this one is a little easier. Texas is OK but overrated IMO. Florida has some awful spots, but it has some amazing places as well - particularly in the northern part of the state.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:43 AM

211 posts, read 136,633 times
California vs New York

Easily. California has it all - yes the crowding of the major cities/high cost of living sucks, but you can see why it's happened - perfect weather, access to the ocean plus some of the most scenic parks in the US. It's a beautiful place and even the haters can't deny that. My dream for a while has been to settle in a low-key place like San Luis Obispo, we'll see if life takes me there.

Texas vs Florida

Neither of these places would be on my short list for living, but gotta go with Florida because of Miami - that city is so much fun. Love the vibrancy, architecture, food, gay scene, etc as a place to visit, but the summers would be too hot/humid and I think I'd find it too intense (energy wise) on a full-time basis.

I don't care much for the cities/politics of Texas other than El Paso/San Antonio, and even those I value more for the history than anything else. All the California libertarians have a hard-on for Austin at the moment, and I just don't see the huge appeal. But hey - different folks, different strokes.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:12 AM

1,846 posts, read 831,112 times
California vs New York

Texas vs Florida

Both tough chooses:
1.California has better topography and more of an outdoor paradise, but New York also has some nice wooded areas. Prefer the colder weather of NY over the warmer weather of most of California. Not a fan of any of the larger cities in California, but if I had the money to blow on a mountain skiing home i'd probably choose California.
2.Enjoy the beaches of Florida and enjoy vacationing there, but the humidity is non-bueno. At least the area around Amarillo has close to four seasons. Outside of the beaches Florida doesn't do much for me. Honestly outside of the northern cities Texas doesn't do to much for me either, but it home for now.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:43 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,635,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
While California certainly has its negatives, including way too high cost of living
Not ALL of California. Most of Eastern California is quite a bit cheaper and more affordable including: Riverside, Redlands, San Bernardino, Palm Springs, Twentynine Palms, Palm Desert, Bakersfield, Fresno, Turlock, Modesto, Sacramento / Suburbs, and Far Northern California: Redding, Chester, Quincy, Crescent City, and that whole area.

A whole lot of California is very affordable, just not the areas that everyone talks about there.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:49 AM

795 posts, read 481,915 times
California vs New York

Texas vs Florida

When this contest first began Danny and I were chatting and guessed these 4 states would be in the 'finals' so to speak. They're the 4 most popular states and the 4 most populated states loll. This is going to be a close race, I bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City