Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2020, 07:15 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,635,159 times

Advertisements

Round 4

Deadline: Friday July 24th at 8:00pm EST, 7:00pm CST, 6:00pm MST, 5:00pm PST

California vs Hawaii

New York vs Colorado

Texas vs Michigan

Florida vs Oregon

So there we have it. Now we are down to 8 States and the fixtures are getting tougher and tougher. Get ready guys. Who is READY to VOTE in Round 4!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 07:29 PM

515 posts, read 252,614 times
California v Hawaii - Paradise is nice but CA is super pretty and offers too much for Hawaii to handle. You could argue every state Hawaii has faced offers more than they do.

New York v Colorado - Surprised CO made it this far. NYC wins this alone and the Upstate can hold its own

Texas v Michigan - Texas wins for me. I'd rather have TX's weather, cities, and opportunities than their Michigan counterparts

Oregon v Florida - I like the PNW a lot but give me beach over mountains any day of the week. Portland's cool too but I'd rather have the combo of South, Central, and North FL metros over one metro.

Old 07-17-2020, 07:40 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Here are my picks:

California vs Hawaii: I love California, and this was super difficult for me. But I had to imagine where I realistically would live in the future. I'm not moving to California unfortunately (at least no plans to), so Hawaii all the way, since it is on my realistic radar and choices to retire to. It's paradise and once you've been several times, you keep thinking about it and want to go back.

New York vs Colorado: NYC all the way. Colorado is beautiful, but doesn't hold a candle to New York City.

Texas vs Michigan: I love parts of Texas: Austin is a blast, Fort Worth is super livable and Houston is more diverse than you'd guess. Michigan has stunning parts of the state that would surprise many people if they had not been. But Texas beats Michigan for me, since the weather in Texas is much milder year-round.

Florida vs Oregon:Florida wins this one for me. Oregon is beautiful but compared with Florida, it doesn't have the weather, the beaches, the clear water or the overall fun spots that Florida does. Plus Miami Beach is incredible.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:23 PM

747 posts, read 496,752 times
California vs Hawaii- I’ll give this California. I would love to travel to Hawaii but I prefer not to live there. I imagine it would be like residing in a foreign territory, like Guam or Puerto Rico. No thanks.

New York vs Colorado- tough choice but east coast bias wins out.

Texas vs Michigan- shocked that Michigan of all places is in the Elite 8. Texas takes this handedly due to 3 or 4 major cities, no cold weather, and a very diverse population.

Florida vs Oregon- I love Portland. A little too much homelessness but a great city. Even so, Miami, Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville are too overwhelming for Oregon to overcome.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:38 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,599,549 times
California vs Hawaii I mean, have any of you ever lived in CA? I have, for a total of 5 1/2 years. Nassssteeeeeee. I felt sick the whole time I lived there, it's so polluted. Hawaii is beautiful, and the people are friendly and nice.

New York vs Colorado I would have liked to pick CO, but Denver is still polluted, and the eastern 1/2 of the state really isn't much different from KS or NE and etc. Beautiful in their own way, but. I'ved lived in both upstate NY and NYC, and both are pretty nice.

Texasvs Michigan I've lived in West TX, which was GREAT! and east TX, which was pretty gross. Michigan is beautiful throughout the state, except for Detroit. Actually, of these 2 states I don't care which wins because neither is completely fabulous. I just didn't want the more populous state to win.

Florida vs Oregon Who keeps actually voting for awful old FL? Overpopulated, crime ridden, hot and humid, environmentally destroyed, there's nothing to like about florida (yech). However, Oregon's coast is beautiful (and have you ever ridden Amtrak from San Francisco to Seattle? I recommend it!) Oregon played a very important role in westward expansion. Come on, everyone, let's push FL out of contention so we never have to see that terrible name again!

Old 07-17-2020, 08:52 PM

OK, I guess it is time for my picks now!

California vs Hawaii: ALL THE WAY!!! Who seriously keeps voting for Hawaii? It is ridiculously liberal, expensive and so isolated from anything else. I especially could never imagine living there. California is one of my favorite states!!! So diverse with so much to offer, SO MUCH!!!! Many people only look at the cities: San Diego, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, which are nice cities but there is so much more to California than just that. What about Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties? They are literally the PROMISE Land!!!

New York vs Colorado: No Contest. NYC, Upstate New York, Niagara Falls, and the Tappan Zee and Bear Mountain Bridges. Enough Said.

Texas vs Michigan: Why on Earth is Michigan still in here? Texas of course!!!

Florida vs Oregon: Florida all the way, again one of my favorite States!!! Disney World, SeaWorld, Universal, Great Beaches, and The Keys!!!!

Old 07-17-2020, 09:43 PM

747 posts, read 496,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
California vs Hawaii I mean, have any of you ever lived in CA? I have, for a total of 5 1/2 years. Nassssteeeeeee. I felt sick the whole time I lived there, it's so polluted. Hawaii is beautiful, and the people are friendly and nice.

New York vs Colorado I would have liked to pick CO, but Denver is still polluted, and the eastern 1/2 of the state really isn't much different from KS or NE and etc. Beautiful in their own way, but. I'ved lived in both upstate NY and NYC, and both are pretty nice.

Texasvs Michigan I've lived in West TX, which was GREAT! and east TX, which was pretty gross. Michigan is beautiful throughout the state, except for Detroit. Actually, of these 2 states I don't care which wins because neither is completely fabulous. I just didn't want the more populous state to win.

Florida vs Oregon Who keeps actually voting for awful old FL? Overpopulated, crime ridden, hot and humid, environmentally destroyed, there's nothing to like about florida (yech). However, Oregon's coast is beautiful (and have you ever ridden Amtrak from San Francisco to Seattle? I recommend it!) Oregon played a very important role in westward expansion. Come on, everyone, let's push FL out of contention so we never have to see that terrible name again!
... don’t you live in South Dakota? Lmao

Old 07-17-2020, 09:51 PM

79 posts, read 35,340 times
California vs Hawaii, California gets a lot of love because of Hollywood but that place is dirty, druggy, and homeless-y. It used to be a great state in the 70s and 80s. It’s a hellhole now. Hawaii all the way.

New York vs Colorado- This comes down to Denver vs NYC, since the rest of each state is kinda forgettable. NYC is the capital of the world and the Hamptons beats Aspen. New York in a landslide.

Texas vs Michigan- Michigan sucks. Cold, crumbling infrastructure in its biggest city, and too close to Canada for my tastes. Texas Triangle (or is it now Quadrangle?) wins in an obliteration.

Florida vs Oregon- The Pacific Northwest is America’s darling and Oregon is very outdoorsy and all, but c’mon, Florida has South Beach, the 3 best theme parks, Kennedy Space Center, and a couple of the best beaches on planet earth. Oregon has ... Stumptown and strip clubs? Florida in a demolition.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlundi86 View Post
California gets a lot of love because of Hollywood but that place is dirty, druggy, and homeless-y. It used to be a great state in the 70s and 80s. It’s a hellhole now. Hawaii all the way.
Wait Seriously??? I agree with you about Hollywood, but saying that Hollywood is the only reason why CA gets a lot of love is absolutely wrong, in fact I highly doubt that Hollywood is even the big reason as to why CA is very popular. California has so much in many ways. Almost all the theme parks you mention in Florida also have branches in California as well. Its true, Disneyland is nothing like Disney World, but it is still Disney, and there is also SeaWorld in San Diego and Universal outside of LA. Have you ever been Santa Barbara? It is one of the most beautiful places in the whole country with such a STUNNING coast line. Ventura is also a moderate-upscale pretty town just on the coast of Southern California. What about Los Angeles, the city in general. OMG, it has so much history, nightlife, and scenery. What about San Diego? What about San Francisco and the Bay Area? I myself am NOT a fan of San Francisco specifically but many surrounding areas like San Jose, South San Francisco, Los Altos, Palo Alto, Mountain View, Fremont, Union City, etc are very beautiful and scenic around the bay. What about the dry desert in Palm Springs and Twentynine Palms? I CANNOT believe how one could thing that Hollywood is the only reason that California gets a lot of love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlundi86 View Post
since the rest of each state is kinda forgettable.
Umm, really? Upstate New York is extremely beautiful. The Hudson River line especially going up to the Hudson Gorge has stunning views. Have you been to Niagara Falls? Have you seen the great cities of Syracuse and Rochester?

Old 07-18-2020, 12:15 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Damn, Pennsylvania came so close to making it into the Elite Eight it hurts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Round 4

Deadline: Friday July 24th at 8:00pm EST, 7:00pm CST, 6:00pm MST, 5:00pm PST

California vs Hawaii

New York vs Colorado

Texas vs Michigan

Florida vs Oregon

So there we have it. Now we are down to 8 States and the fixtures are getting tougher and tougher. Get ready guys. Who is READY to VOTE in Round 4!!!!
I'm ready:

California vs. Hawaii: Tourism ads for Texas used to use the tagline, "It's like a whole 'nother country." The same phrase applies to California. I gave my opinion about living in Paradise all the time in the previous round, and it's no different here. No other state in the country offers the variety of environments and places found in California. And Danny K: pace Orange County and San Diego, it's not all that conservative either; then again, liberalism isn't a black mark against a state for me. And even the conservative parts of California are pretty damned tolerant.

New York vs. Colorado: Had this been New York vs. Pennsylvania, this would have been a tougher vote for me. "There's no other city in the country like New York" yadda-yadda, I've-heard-it-all-before, but the rest of the state is actually quite fabulous on its own: the Finger Lakes, the Adirondacks, Niagara Falls, the Hamptons, Fire Island...the list of beautiful scenic places goes on and on. One of these days, however, I will make it west of Denver.

Texas vs. Michigan: I've heard so much good stuff about the Upper Peninsula that I will have to visit it someday, but the lower one didn't strike me as so fantastic as to catapult the state into the top ranks. Texas doesn't have all that much in the way of mountains — they manage to make it into El Paso, and dramatically so, but that's it — but that state also has a variety of other environments, and having grown up next door to Kansas, I do know that the high plains have a beauty all their own. (A scary beauty too, when the cumulonimbus clouds tower over the horizon, signaling storms are on their way.) One branch of my family hails from the East Texas pinelands to boot, and another is thick on the ground in and around Houston, which became one of my favorite cities when I spent a weekend there last summer reuniting with my relatives on that side of the family.

Florida vs. Oregon: They tried to keep people like me from settling in Oregon at all when the state entered the Union in 1859, and even though that provision of the state constitution long since became null and void, the aftereffects linger. Had Washington State been in Oregon's place, I would have voted differently: I have no problem with places where it's not warm all the time, and I think I could deal with Seattle's famously rainy clime as well, especially because when it's not raining, the city and the area around it are lush, green and gorgeous thanks to all that rain. But it's not Florida vs. Washington; it's Florida vs. Oregon, and thus my vote goes to one of the two Sunshine States (trivia: can you name the other? That one recently changed its nickname, which appears on its state flag; what's the new nickname?). Miami Beach (and the entire Miami area) is really like no place else in the country, thanks in no small part to its Mediterranean/Art Deco/Midcentury Modern architectural mix and its strong Latino cultural flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City