Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2020, 08:57 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,636,251 times

Advertisements

WOW some interesting early results. Surprised of all the votes that Hawaii is getting over California. I mean Hawaii is a popular destination, but California has Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, and some beautiful Geography, as well as Disneyland!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 09:02 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,862,321 times
California

New York

Michigan

Florida

Old 07-18-2020, 09:05 PM

747 posts, read 496,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Not sure what your point was. SD is underpopulated, unpolluted, and under-taxed - and there's minimal crime. I've lived in 15 different states (including current tournament contenders NY, CA, and TX), and chose SD for retirement for the above reasons. I own a large forested acreage with 2 houses on it that I bought for cash, for a price that that those of you who live in NY, CA, and FL would pay for a grungy teeny condo with no yard in a bad neighborhood. There are two big beautiful rivers near me for boating and fishing. Big city amenities are an easy day trip away when (rarely) desired, and the Black Hills are amazing. Granted, there are way too many republicans here.

We all likes what we likes, and this tournament is just for fun. It's kind of sad to see the huge overpopulated states winning, but population = votes, right?

Go, teams Hawaii and Oregon!
My point is that South Dakota sucks ... big time. The reason it’s underpopulated, unpolluted and undertaxed is due to no one wanting to live there ... because it sucks. It’s cold, boring, and depressing for anyone below 70 years old. I just found it humorous that someone would attempt to denigrate other states when they live in South Da Freaking Kota.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:15 PM

472 posts, read 346,532 times
California vs Hawaii

New York vs Colorado

Texas vs Michigan

Florida vs Oregon

Old 07-18-2020, 10:36 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,599,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
My point is that South Dakota sucks ... big time. The reason it’s underpopulated, unpolluted and undertaxed is due to no one wanting to live there ... because it sucks. It’s cold, boring, and depressing for anyone below 70 years old. I just found it humorous that someone would attempt to denigrate other states when they live in South Da Freaking Kota.

I forgive you for saying ignorant things about beautiful SoDak, because I in turn enjoy writing nasty things about repulsive New Jersey, Florida, and California (because they're all environmentally ruined and full of gross people.)

O Re Gon! O Re Gon! O Re Gon!

Old 07-18-2020, 11:08 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,935 times
Round 4

California vs Hawaii

New York vs Colorado

Texas vs Michigan

Florida vs Oregon

Hawaii is my only upset (my favorite state), but it was close. Having lived in both, Michigan vs Texas was close for me too, as there are a few places in Michigan I like more than anywhere in Texas, but there are a lot of depressing, dying cities in Michigan.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:44 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Not sure what your point was. SD is underpopulated, unpolluted, and under-taxed - and there's minimal crime. I've lived in 15 different states (including current tournament contenders NY, CA, and TX), and chose SD for retirement for the above reasons. I own a large forested acreage with 2 houses on it that I bought for cash, for a price that that those of you who live in NY, CA, and FL would pay for a grungy teeny condo with no yard in a bad neighborhood. There are two big beautiful rivers near me for boating and fishing. Big city amenities are an easy day trip away when (rarely) desired, and the Black Hills are amazing. Granted, there are way too many republicans here.

We all likes what we likes, and this tournament is just for fun. It's kind of sad to see the huge overpopulated states winning, but population = votes, right?

Go, teams Hawaii and Oregon!
Before I tee off on you for your post below, let me say that I agree with what you write here.

Understand before reading that I'm an urbanite at heart, and I couldn't see myself living in a state as sparsely populated as either Dakota.

But I'm using this post as a jumping-off point for a followup to my earlier post that included a trivia question no one took me up on:

The other "Sunshine State" was indeed South Dakota. The state officially changed its nickname to "The Mount Rushmore State", after its best-known landmark, in 1992, and that phrase now appears on the state flag.

Quote:
I forgive you for saying ignorant things about beautiful SoDak, because I in turn enjoy writing nasty things about repulsive New Jersey, Florida, and California (because they're all environmentally ruined and full of gross people.)

O Re Gon! O Re Gon! O Re Gon!
I might buy "overbuilt" to describe both the South Florida and New Jersey seacoasts, but both are still very beautiful and far from "environmentally ruined."

However, the overbuilding will cause (and already is causing) greater problems as the sea level rises and storms become more intense (like my namesake in 2012) as a result of climate change.

But I know plenty of Jerseyites who are anything but gross. "The Sopranos" is a North Jersey phenomenon, just like the industrial-nightmare landscape along the New Jersey Turnpike from roughly Exit 13 to Exits 14C (on the Hudson County Spur) and 15E/W (where legend has it Jimmy Hoffa is holding up one of the Turnpike bridges ). From Exit 9 (New Brunswick) south, the state looks much different, and south of Exit 6 (the Pennsylvania Turnpike connector/I-95 south to Philadelphia), you enter the part of the state where the nickname "Garden State" is still deserved: you haven't lived until you've eaten a ripe Jersey tomato in season.

(Okay, I exaggerate a bit now. Unfortunately, Jersey tomato growers now breed their tomatoes both to survive shipping better and look suitably "plastic" in supermarkets. They're still tasty, but nowhere near the glorious taste of those old, ugly, misshapen Jersey tomatoes you used to find in Philadelphia produce markets. A few Jersey farms still grow these, and you can find some on Saturdays at the farmers' market in Collingswood in season, but you now pay about four times what you used to pay to get them.)

Oh, and those cranberries everyone associates with Massachusetts? Ocean Spray may still be based in the state, but most of the grower-owners who produce cranberries for the cooperative are located in the two states that grow more of them: #1 Wisconsin and #2 New Jersey.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:56 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,626,089 times
California vs Hawaii

New York vs Colorado

Texas vs Michigan

Florida vs Oregon

Old 07-19-2020, 08:04 AM

955 posts, read 610,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
WOW some interesting early results. Surprised of all the votes that Hawaii is getting over California. I mean Hawaii is a popular destination, but California has Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, and some beautiful Geography, as well as Disneyland!
Initially I voted for California but after thinking it over, Hawai'i's unparalleled natural beauty, incredibly distinct local culture (and food), etc. give it the edge.

Old 07-19-2020, 12:27 PM

127 posts, read 111,532 times
California vs Hawaii

Simply can't choose Hawaii or Alaska. Too isolated.

New York vs Colorado

This was a tough one, I somehow feel that the culture in Colorado might be a bit more fitting for me, but NYC>>Denver and, believe it or not, I like the climate and scenery in NY waaay more.

Texas vs Michigan

If Michigan had a big metro that is not Detroit, I would have chosen it, no doubts.

Florida vs Oregon

Florida is far from my dream state, but I see absolutely zero appeal in OR/Portland/PNW in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City