Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2020, 02:07 PM

1,846 posts, read 831,112 times

Advertisements

California vs Nevada - Easy choice. One of the few comparisons where I've actually been to both states. Contemplated moving to Nevada at one point.
Tennessee vs Alaska - Been to Tennessee enough times and never cared for it. Never been to Alaska, but always wanted to.
Georgia vs Hawaii - If Hawaii wasn't so dang expensive.
North Carolina vs New Hampshire - been to neither, not bothered about either and sort of a close call.
New York vs New Mexico - New Mexico bound one day. Already looking at real estate around Santa Fe. Love parts of New York, but wouldn't want to stay there.
Washington vs Wisconsin - again been to neither, not bothered about either and sort of a close call. Heard enough stories from Wisconsiners that I'm not really intrested.
Pennsylvania vs Oklahoma - Like Oklahoma not much more to say about it. Didn't care much for Pennsylvania, but it's not a bad state.
Virginia vs Colorado - Feel the same way about Colorado as New York. Virginia is away down there on the list of states that i'm interested in.
Texas vs Iowa - Lived here all my life and can't figure out why i'm still here,but here I am.
Massachusetts vs Missouri - Both states are sort of meh. fell like Massachusetts has more to offer.
Ohio vs Kentucky - Yeah, not really interested in either of these states.
Michigan vs South Carolina - Heard and seen enough from past and previous co-works to know that Michigan is a pass. Wouldn't mind stay close to the ocean in SC.
Florida vs Utah - Dang this is a tough one. Both are states that I really like and would be more then happy to live in. Weather is just a bit better in Utah and it's a little less weird.
Arizona vs Maryland - Like Arizona except for the heat. Never been to Maryland and don't plan on going.
Illinois vs Oregon - Weather, Topography, and access to the ocean gave Oregon the win
New Jersey vs Minnesota - Not a fan of either, but I do miss the sun rising on the Jersey shore and the nice sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 02:16 PM

I know it's to late, but here are my picks from round 1.

Nevada vs Arkansas
Tennessee vs Vermont
Indiana vs Alaska
Louisiana vs Hawaii
Alabama vs New Hampshire
Connecticut vs New Mexico
Wisconsin vs Delaware
Oklahoma vs Nebraska
Colorado vs Rhode Island
Iowa vs Mississippi
Massachusetts vs Wyoming
Missouri vs North Dakota
Kentucky vs West Virginia
South Carolina vs Maine
Utah vs Kansas
Maryland vs South Dakota
Oregon vs Idaho
Minnesota vs Montana

Old 07-15-2020, 02:37 PM

211 posts, read 136,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Round 3

Deadline: Friday July 17th at 8:00pm EST, 7:00pm CST, 6:00pm MST, 5:00pm PST

California vs Alaska

Hawaii vs North Carolina

New York vs Washington

Pennsylvania vs Colorado

Texas vs Massachusetts

Ohio vs Michigan

Florida vs Arizona

Oregon vs New Jersey

So there we have it. I expect to see a lot of tough and tight fixtures this round. Who is READY to VOTE in Round 3!!!!
voted. fun thread!

Old 07-15-2020, 06:07 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,859 times
California vs Alaska

Hawaii vs North Carolina

New York vs Washington

Pennsylvania vs Colorado

Texas vs Massachusetts

Ohio vs Michigan

Florida vs Arizona

Oregon vs New Jersey

This was an interesting thread!

Old 07-15-2020, 08:15 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,635,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtege View Post
California vs Nevada - Easy choice. One of the few comparisons where I've actually been to both states. Contemplated moving to Nevada at one point.
Tennessee vs Alaska - Been to Tennessee enough times and never cared for it. Never been to Alaska, but always wanted to.
Georgia vs Hawaii - If Hawaii wasn't so dang expensive.
North Carolina vs New Hampshire - been to neither, not bothered about either and sort of a close call.
New York vs New Mexico - New Mexico bound one day. Already looking at real estate around Santa Fe. Love parts of New York, but wouldn't want to stay there.
Washington vs Wisconsin - again been to neither, not bothered about either and sort of a close call. Heard enough stories from Wisconsiners that I'm not really intrested.
Pennsylvania vs Oklahoma - Like Oklahoma not much more to say about it. Didn't care much for Pennsylvania, but it's not a bad state.
Virginia vs Colorado - Feel the same way about Colorado as New York. Virginia is away down there on the list of states that i'm interested in.
Texas vs Iowa - Lived here all my life and can't figure out why i'm still here,but here I am.
Massachusetts vs Missouri - Both states are sort of meh. fell like Massachusetts has more to offer.
Ohio vs Kentucky - Yeah, not really interested in either of these states.
Michigan vs South Carolina - Heard and seen enough from past and previous co-works to know that Michigan is a pass. Wouldn't mind stay close to the ocean in SC.
Florida vs Utah - Dang this is a tough one. Both are states that I really like and would be more then happy to live in. Weather is just a bit better in Utah and it's a little less weird.
Arizona vs Maryland - Like Arizona except for the heat. Never been to Maryland and don't plan on going.
Illinois vs Oregon - Weather, Topography, and access to the ocean gave Oregon the win
New Jersey vs Minnesota - Not a fan of either, but I do miss the sun rising on the Jersey shore and the nice sand.
Hey Protege, Round 2 was over last week. Round 3 is what is going on right now. Check post #151 on Page 16. Nice to hear your votes, but unfortunately we cannot count the ones from previous rounds

Old 07-15-2020, 08:26 PM

747 posts, read 496,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I know this is only the first day, and we've only had 5 voters this round so far, but I am very puzzled as to why are a few people choosing Utah over Florida? This really surprises me.
It’s because people irrationally hate Florida because it’s been in the news for several years for wackiness, global warming, and politics, so much so that it’s become en vogue to make fun of it.

Crazy how the narrative shifted. Since I’ve been born all the way till the early 2000s, Florida was always compared to paradise and depicted positively by the thing that shapes everyone’s opinions: Hollywood. Now it’s a punchline. Hopefully it’s cyclical because Florida is an amazing state and I’d love to move back.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:30 PM

747 posts, read 496,752 times
California vs Alaska- never been a fan if California but I’ll choose it here only because I prefer being as close to the mainland as possible and I don’t like the cold at all.

Hawaii vs North Carolina- very tough choice but once again, I prefer being near the mainland and Hawaii has way too many homeless.

New York vs Washington- very tough call but NYC swings the pendulum.

Pennsylvania vs Colorado- toss-up. Went with Colorado because I prefer Denver to Philly.

Texas vs Massachusetts- not a fan of cold weather, plus Texas is one of this nation’s premier states.

Ohio vs Michigan- Ohio is further south, which means slightly warmer, and it was 3 heavy-hitting cities to Michigan’s one.

Florida vs Arizona- easy choice. Florida is humid as hell in June-September but it’s pretty beautiful the rest of the year. Beaches are a major draw. Arizona is hot and not very fun. Can’t believe it’s this close in other people’s minds.

Oregon vs New Jersey- This too was very close. On a different day I might prefer NJ but I’ve had enough of the northeast to last a lifetime.

Last edited by _Uncommon_; 07-15-2020 at 08:44 PM..

Old 07-15-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
It’s because people irrationally hate Florida because it’s been in the news for several years for wackiness, global warming, and politics, so much so that it’s become en vogue to make fun of it.

Crazy how the narrative shifted. Since I’ve been born all the way till the early 2000s, Florida was always compared to paradise and depicted positively by the thing that shapes everyone’s opinions: Hollywood. Now it’s a punchline. Hopefully it’s cyclical because Florida is an amazing state and I’d love to move back.
You definitely have a good point. I really hope Florida can at least make the finals, maybe even win. I LOVE Florida as well and it is one of my favorite states. However: Texas and California might prove to be too tough for Florida to overcome, I'm afraid. At least to my knowledge on this thread and other threads: Texas and California seem to get a lot more love on City Data than Florida does

Old 07-15-2020, 08:49 PM

Dang third time is the charm

California vs Alaska - Still an easy choice. Can't see myself living in either of these states, but would enjoy traveling around Alaska for a few months.
Hawaii vs North Carolina - Sort of a close call. Hawaii seems like it would have more to offer in terms of traveling and beaches, but the constant weather might change my mind over time.
New York vs Washington - Never been to Washington, but it seems like a great place to live and travel in from what I've seen.
Pennsylvania vs Colorado - Very close call. Seems like the weather would be a bit better and the outdoor sports would be more to my interest.
Texas vs Massachusetts - The stars at night are big and bright. Deep in the heart of Texas. It's just so hot and humid.
Ohio vs Michigan - Not a fan of either. Ohio seems like it would have a milder winter, but Michigan seems more wide open and natural especially north of Lake Michigan
Florida vs Arizona - Always try to plan trips to Florida's beaches every year. Need to try the panhandle area at some point.
Oregon vs New Jersey - Close call. As much as I enjoyed staying in NW New Jersey and the shores. The majority of the state doesn't do much for me.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:43 AM

Deadline for Round 3 is tomorrow at 8:00pm EST, 7:00pm CST, 6:00pm MST, 5:00pm PST!!! Be sure to get those last votes in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City