Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2020, 06:36 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times

Advertisements

Round 3

Deadline: Friday July 17th at 8:00pm EST, 7:00pm CST, 6:00pm MST, 5:00pm PST

California vs Alaska

Hawaii vs North Carolina

New York vs Washington

Pennsylvania vs Colorado

Texas vs Massachusetts

Ohio vs Michigan

Florida vs Arizona

Oregon vs New Jersey

So there we have it. I expect to see a lot of tough and tight fixtures this round. Who is READY to VOTE in Round 3!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 06:39 PM

841 posts, read 825,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Round 3

Deadline: Friday July 17th at 8:00pm EST, 7:00pm CST, 6:00pm MST, 5:00pm PST

California vs Alaska

Hawaii vs North Carolina

New York vs Washington

Pennsylvania vs Colorado

Texas vs Massachusetts

Ohio vs Michigan

Florida vs Arizona

Oregon vs New Jersey

So there we have it. I expect to see a lot of tough and tight fixtures this round. Who is READY to VOTE in Round 3!!!!

Old 07-10-2020, 06:48 PM

472 posts, read 346,532 times
Sad to see TN go, but at least it was to another beautiful state. My hopes lie with AZ now hah.

California vs Alaska

Hawaii vs North Carolina

New York vs Washington

Pennsylvania vs Colorado

Texas vs Massachusetts

Ohio vs Michigan- tie hah- i'll come back to it if I must later.

Florida vs Arizona

Oregon vs New Jersey

Old 07-10-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybreakfast View Post
Sad to see TN go, but at least it was to another beautiful state. My hopes lie with AZ now hah.
I am sad about Tennessee as well. I really LOVE that state. While TN isn't my favorite, I love how it is arguably the most conservative republican state in the country. I also really love Knoxville and the Metropolitan area. Pigeon Forge/Sevierville Area is especially gorgeous with so much to offer and a lot going for it. Dollywood has my favorite wooden coaster ever: Lightening Rod!!! Mystery Mine is also amazing themed!

Old 07-10-2020, 07:17 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Here goes:

California vs Alaska — Two states each like no other. But Alaska's stunning scenery and vast open spaces fall to California's sheer variety of environments — urban, rural, forest, desert, beach, mountains, ancient, new.

Hawaii vs North Carolina — Paradise gets boring after a while. I'll take something a little more complex and varied.

New York vs Washington — Though this one could go the other way almost as easily. Cascadia is what New England would look like if we had settled the country in the opposite direction.

Pennsylvania vs Colorado — Yeah, yeah, the Rockies are spectacular. But one-third of the state is just Far Western Kansas. Pennsylvania farm country is far more colorful, as are its big cities.

Texas vs Massachusetts — I'd live in Houston in a heartbeat if it weren't a drive-everywhere place, but again, Massachusetts has more charm.

Ohio vs Michigan — The state's cities are all better than outsiders might think.

Florida vs Arizona — It may be muggy in Florida in the summer, but you can always cool off on a beach not far from where you are. What are your options in Arizona?

Oregon vs New Jersey — One of these days I should explore Oregon's rocky coast. New Jersey's beaches, however, are the best.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:24 PM

OK, now its time for my picks!

Round 3

California vs Alaska: Alaska is a cool and pretty state, but it is not anywhere close to California. California just has so much to offer, and it is probably my favorite state. Just can't get past Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties, because they are just BEAUTIFUL. OMG, especially Pier Santa Barbara and Stearns Wharf. That area alone would be so hard for me to vote against. Malibu, Thousand Oaks, and Ventura are also very beautiful. You got Six Flags Magic Mountain in Santa Clarita. Los Angeles is a very cool city with so many sites and I especially love the areas of the Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Pasadena, Claremont, and La Canada Filtridge. Orange County also has really nice areas: Aliso Viejo, Irvine, Anaheim, Fullerton, Santa Ana, and Disneyland. I haven't even mentioned San Diego. There so much more, but we'll save that for later.

Hawaii vs North Carolina: Nags Head, Roanoke Island, and the Outer Banks are a very beautiful part of the coast. Carowinds Amusement Park, and the small town of Rocky Mount do it for me.

New York vs Washington: Hard to vote against Westchester County with the Tappan Zee Bridge and also the Peekskill area and Bear Mountain Bridge. I also love the Glens Falls/Queensbury Area, and Warrensburg.

Pennsylvania vs Colorado: Philadelphia is one of my favorite cities in the whole country. Center City just has so much architecture, SO MUCH. The Liberty Bell is one of my favorite monuments. I also really enjoy the suburbs in Chester and Bucks Counties. Scranton area up north is also nice as well as the tiny town of Milford along the Delaware River.

Texas vs Massachusetts: Ugh, VERY TOUGH. I am going for Massachusetts which I am sure is likely the underdog. Texas is a great state, but I must admit that it isn't my favorite, and Massachusetts does have a few special places in my heart. Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket Islands are just extremely beautiful and it is really hard to beat the coast up there. I've never been to any beaches in Texas, but the beaches are not really what is talked about when you think Texas. It's not really what people go to Texas for so my guess is that the beaches there are nothing too special. With that said I do love San Antonio, and El Paso. Dallas and Houston area all great cities and FOOD is excellent. However Boston is a really nice city as well!!! Texas has many amusement parks, but again Massachusetts has Six Flags New England, and Superman is one of the best Drop Coasters that I've ever ridden. Sorry Texas, but I am sure you will get the votes. Massachusetts probably needs my vote a lot more in this fixture.

Ohio vs Michigan: Not really a big fan of Michigan other than Saginaw and Salt Saint Marie. Ohio has Polaris outside of Columbus which is such a great shopping center. Dayton area, and Cincinnati are also nice, as well as Cleveland. And we can't forget Cedar Point, one of the THRILL Capitals.

Florida vs Arizona: This is also a close one for me. I really do enjoy the areas of Phoenix and Tempe as they are cities with such different feel from many others in the country, and it is really nice in the desert with the dry heat. Also very good for cycling. However, Florida just has way too much to offer for me to vote against it. Disney World, West Palm Beach, Miami, and the Keys. The beaches are so great and it is so cool that in FL you've got heavy tide on the Eastern Part, and a lot lower tide beaches on the Western Part with Naples and Sarasota. It is really spectacular and I am not sure if any other state has all that to offer. I also really LOVE Key West, Key Largo, and The Key Islands in general. Not to mention the tiny towns of Haines City and Frostproof.

Oregon vs New Jersey: LOL the two states where self serve gas is illegal. Gotta go with New Jersey though by FAR!!! The NJ Green is the best in the country, and you've also got the shores especially around Seaside Heights and Six Flags Great Adventure. Scudders Falls Bridge around Ewing is very scenic as well and even Rt. 29 from Trenton to Phillipsburg up around the Delaware River. Sandyston, a town up North has amazing farmland and agriculture and the Walpack Inn, best steak I've ever had.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Here goes:

California vs Alaska — Two states each like no other. But Alaska's stunning scenery and vast open spaces fall to California's sheer variety of environments — urban, rural, forest, desert, beach, mountains, ancient, new.

Hawaii vs North Carolina — Paradise gets boring after a while. I'll take something a little more complex and varied.

New York vs Washington — Though this one could go the other way almost as easily. Cascadia is what New England would look like if we had settled the country in the opposite direction.

Pennsylvania vs Colorado — Yeah, yeah, the Rockies are spectacular. But one-third of the state is just Far Western Kansas. Pennsylvania farm country is far more colorful, as are its big cities.

Texas vs Massachusetts — I'd live in Houston in a heartbeat if it weren't a drive-everywhere place, but again, Massachusetts has more charm.

Ohio vs Michigan — The state's cities are all better than outsiders might think.

Florida vs Arizona — It may be muggy in Florida in the summer, but you can always cool off on a beach not far from where you are. What are your options in Arizona?

Oregon vs New Jersey — One of these days I should explore Oregon's rocky coast. New Jersey's beaches, however, are the best.
Great Minds think alike!!! We picked all the same choices this Round!

Old 07-10-2020, 07:30 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,935 times
California vs Alaska

Hawaii vs North Carolina

New York
vs Washington

Pennsylvania vs Colorado

Texas vs Massachusetts

Ohio vs Michigan

Florida vs Arizona

Oregon vs New Jersey

Old 07-10-2020, 08:31 PM

515 posts, read 252,665 times
gonna go ahead and vote, good work Danny K

California v Alaska - too much variety and I'd be willing to bet California wins it all. no place has the combo of scenery, environment, weather, and cities like they do

Hawaii v North Carolina - I may be feeling the home state vibes but NC offers a lot of variety, and Hawaii while being in paradise doesn't offer all that NC does. tough matchup next round for whoever makes it through

New York v Washington - tough matchup but you can't go wrong with NYC. Seattle just isn't quite there. and while WA has the edge in scenery, the Finger Lakes Catskills and more are top-tier

Pennsylvania v Colorado - The scenery is amazing but like others have noted like 40% of the state is basically West Kansas. Denver not enough to go up against the burgh and philly.

Texas v Massachusetts - Boston is nice but I think the 4 of Dallas, Houston, ATX, and SA outduel it. A lot of Texas is boring but with Big Bend and Hill Country, there is definitely top tier scenery

Ohio v Michigan - worst matchup of the third round. cities aren't great in either state but i think Ohio's are slightly better. That said the UP and other MI features take down a rather ordinary state

Florida v Arizona - The desert is beautiful, especially at sunrise and sunset, but gotta go with a beach sunset to me. Plus, FL's cities outclass Phoenix and Tucson. FL barely got past Utah though in 2nd round

Oregon v New Jersey - Oregon's a beautiful state, and while NJ has some class, I think Oregon might win. would definitely be a tough matchup for Oregon though against any other winner listed here

Old 07-10-2020, 08:43 PM

597 posts, read 448,946 times
California vs Alaska

Hawaii vs North Carolina

New York vs Washington

Pennsylvania vs Colorado

Texas vs Massachusetts

Ohio vs Michigan

Florida vs Arizona

Oregon vs New Jersey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City