Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2020, 10:50 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Just realized that the last sentence of my explanation here is unclear:

That should read "And the votes in favor of Minnesota will be cast by people who've never visited New Jersey."

Danny K: Also, Camden is on the mend finally — you may have read stories recently about how the new police department that was created after the city dissolved the old one (as a cost-saving move) has gained community trust, and that in turn has led to a dramatic drop in crime, especially the violent kind. And I also believe that Newark, the state's largest city, gets an undeserved bum rap. It has a full complement of civic amenities — sports arena, performing arts center, minor-league ballpark right on the Passaic River — a downtown that, while still shabby in many places, has life after 5 pm, a growing complement of decent restaurants and a Whole Foods Market (let that one sink in for a minute), and several colorful ethnic neighborhoods, the (Portuguese-American) Ironbound (right next to Newark Penn Station to boot) being the best known. Newark suffers largely thanks to its proximity to New York City: were it located anywhere further away, including where Philadelphia sits, we'd be talking about a metropolitan center in its own right.

Oh, and: The state also gets a bum rap thanks to the New Jersey Turnpike, which got routed right through the industrial-nightmare landscape of Essex and Union counties. If the Garden State Parkway took you to someplace outside the state, it would enjoy a much more favorable reputation. (Actually, it does on both ends, but you have to ride a ferry to get to Lewes, Del. I do recommend the ferry ride across the mouth of the Delaware Bay, though.)
I've been all over NJ. My sibling used to live there, and their spouse was from NJ. They lived in the NY suburbs and had a beach house near Atlantic City. I visited several times. It's a fine place to live, better than a lot of places in the country. I think the big negative for me is the lack of a large, nice, central city in the state. You've got the North Jersey NY suburbs and the South Jersey Phily suburbs. Some of them, especially just across the Hudson from NY, are incredibly urban. Still, there is no large downtown/urban center in the state. That's what put Minnesota over the top for me. Jersey is a better place than it's reputation, but I like Minnesota better. The forest and lakes are nice in Minnesota as well, but NJ has ocean, so that's kind of a wash for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
For all the people choosing Colorado over Virginia, I have a few things to say to you and a few questions to ask you all?

Have you actually been to Virginia besides just passing through it on the highways? Have you visited other parts of VA besides just Northern VA, and the D.C. Metropolitan Area?

Don't get me wrong, Colorado is very beautiful with great mountains, but Virginia just as SOOO much to offer, and I just can't see how so many people are choosing Colorado over Virginia if they actually are aware of all that VA has.
As always, these are just opinions. Basically, the difference for me, besides the Rockies, is Denver and Boulder. There is no city in Virginia I like as much. Virginia is a great place, and this was one of the closer ones for me. I would certainly take Virginia over anywhere in the Eastern third of Colorado. Illinois and Oregon was probably the only one that gave me more trouble. I like Chicago better than Portland, and eastern OR leaves a lot to be desired, but the rest of Illinois, outside of maybe Urbana/Champaign isn't my favorite. The difference in what nature is availble in a few hours from Chicago vs Portland pushed Oregon over the top for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 11:06 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
As always, these are just opinions. Basically, the difference for me, besides the Rockies, is Denver and Boulder. There is no city in Virginia I like as much. Virginia is a great place, and this was one of the closer ones for me. I would certainly take Virginia over anywhere in the Eastern third of Colorado. Illinois and Oregon was probably the only one that gave me more trouble. I like Chicago better than Portland, and eastern OR leaves a lot to be desired, but the rest of Illinois, outside of maybe Urbana/Champaign isn't my favorite. The difference in what nature is availble in a few hours from Chicago vs Portland pushed Oregon over the top for me.
Makes total sense. I am curious though, have you seen Hampton Roads Area in VA? I wonder what areas that I mentioned in the previous post that you haven't seen. You are right in the fact that Denver is a cool city and has quite a different feeling from pretty much any city in Virginia, although I never thought THAT highly of Denver. It is No NY or LA. I guess it just greatly appeals to some people.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:34 PM

472 posts, read 346,532 times
California vs Nevada

Tennessee vs Alaska - my home state- voting for this one all the way hah

Georgia vs Hawaii

North Carolina vs New Hampshire

New York vs New Mexico

Washington vs Wisconsin

Pennsylvania vs Oklahoma

Virginia vs Colorado

Texas vs Iowa

Massachusetts vs Missouri

Ohio vs Kentucky

Michigan vs South Carolina

Florida vs Utah - Ughhhhh; too close to call

Arizona vs Maryland - the state I'm originally from, so again, bias.

Illinois vs Oregon

New Jersey vs Minnesota

Old 07-05-2020, 08:46 AM

841 posts, read 825,345 times
Quote:
Round 2

Deadline: Friday July 10th at 8:00pm EST, 7:00pm CST, 6:00pm MST, 5:00pm PST

Note: Remember, you can jump in and vote at any round, even if you missed Round 1 or any previous rounds as the tournament goes on. New voters are always welcome and wanted!

California vs Nevada

Tennessee vs Alaska

Georgia vs Hawaii

New York vs New Mexico

Washington vs Wisconsin

Pennsylvania vs Oklahoma

Virginia vs Colorado

Texas vs Iowa

Ohio vs Kentucky

Florida vs Utah

Arizona vs Maryland

Illinois vs Oregon

New Jersey vs Minnesota

So there we have it. Who is READY to VOTE in Round 2!!!!

Old 07-05-2020, 11:24 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,599,549 times
California vs Nevada Yech to both, but Northern California is still nice and I don't like deserts.

Tennessee vs Alaska Both are nice, but Alaska is more grand

Georgia vs Hawaii Georgia is actually pretty, but the sociocultural situation in Hawaii is much nicer

North Carolina vs New Hampshire Prettier and fewer southern baptists

New York vs New Mexico I've lived in both upstate and NYC and NY is pretty, but I'm sick of even hearing about it at this point.

Washington vs Wisconsin That one was tough, both are wonderful. WA is more Blue, so gets this vote

Pennsylvania vs Oklahoma I just have too many memories of getting sick on road trips through PA as a kid

Virginia vs Colorado VA is overpopulated and has too many southern baptists

Texas vs Iowa Tough. Have lived both places. Texas has more variety, so I guess I'll give this to TX.

Massachusetts vs Missouri Interesting history over meth heads

Ohio vs Kentucky Very similar states, but KY has more forests

Michigan vs South Carolina If MI could just kick Detroit off its shoulders it would be a wonderful state

Florida vs Utah I hate heat and humidity

Arizona vs Maryland Don't like deserts

Illinois vs Oregon You really can't beat the Oregon coast.

New Jersey vs Minnesota I mean, New Jersey is revolting. The bud of every joke. MN is pretty nice. Lived there.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:28 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,599,549 times
Quote:
I know this is only the first day, and we've only had 5 voters this round so far, but I am very puzzled as to why are a few people choosing Utah over Florida? This really surprises me.

Lots of people don't like hot humid weather. And southern conservatives are creepier than Mormon conservatives.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:43 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
I've been all over NJ. My sibling used to live there, and their spouse was from NJ. They lived in the NY suburbs and had a beach house near Atlantic City. I visited several times. It's a fine place to live, better than a lot of places in the country. I think the big negative for me is the lack of a large, nice, central city in the state. You've got the North Jersey NY suburbs and the South Jersey Phily suburbs. Some of them, especially just across the Hudson from NY, are incredibly urban. Still, there is no large downtown/urban center in the state. That's what put Minnesota over the top for me. Jersey is a better place than it's reputation, but I like Minnesota better. The forest and lakes are nice in Minnesota as well, but NJ has ocean, so that's kind of a wash for me.
I can see where someone would find Minnesota preferable to New Jersey; different people have different outdoor preferences.

But the sentence I bold-faced just underscores the point I made in the post of mine that you quoted about Newark getting a bum rap.

The following lead core cities of the 72 largest metropolitan areas in the country (the metros in the "2020 Metro Madness" tournament) all have populations smaller than Newark's 282,862:

Albany (the only core city on this list with a population under 100,000)
Akron
Allentown
Birmingham
Bridgeport
Dayton
Des Moines
Grand Rapids
Hartford (CT) and Springfield (MA) (Springfield is the larger of the two)
Providence
Richmond
Rochester
Syracuse
Toledo (just barely)
Worcester

Many of these have identifiable and noteworthy downtowns. In fact, I'd say that just about all of them have.

So does Newark. It not only has a central business district with the amenities I noted above (New Jersey Performing Arts Center; Prudential Arena; Bears & Eagles Riverfront Stadium bit the dust last year, to be replaced by a mixed-use residential-commercial development), but it also has a major corporate headquarters — that of the Prudential Insurance Company of America, which is probably as good a corporate citizen as one might want in any city. Instead of leaving Newark after the 1960s riots, it doubled down on the downtown (as its name on the sports arena should indicate).

One of Philadelphia's leading developers, Carl Dranoff, has just finished a major upmarket rental apartment building in downtown Newark, One Theater Square, located across Centre Street from NJPAC and managed by one of the East Coast's biggest and best-regarded rental property managers, Bozzuto. (Dranoff has gotten out of the rental construction business in Philly, preferring high-end condos instead.) It will be joined by that development on the ballpark site, which isn't a Dranoff project.

And not only does the city have its own airport, it also has a light metro line all its own: the Newark City Subway, opened in 1937. It also has two intercity/regional rail hubs: Newark Penn Station and Newark Broad Street Station (on the ex-Lackawanna Railroad regional system).

If you put all this someplace more than 15 minutes away from Lower Manhattan, it would be a metropolitan center in its own right. Instead, it gets overlooked, as it did here.

Old 07-05-2020, 12:04 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
[
California vs Nevada Grew up in CA still love it.

Tennessee vs Alaska

Georgia vs Hawaii

North Carolina vsNew Hampshire

New York vs New Mexico

Washington vs Wisconsin

Pennsylvania vs Oklahoma

Virginia vs Colorado

Texas vs Iowa

Ohio vs Kentucky

Florida vs Utah

Arizona vs Maryland

Illinois vs Oregon Chicago v Portland? No contest

New Jersey vs Minnesota

So there we have it. Who is READY to VOTE in Round 2!!!![/quote]

Old 07-05-2020, 02:31 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,935 times
Quote:
Makes total sense. I am curious though, have you seen Hampton Roads Area in VA? I wonder what areas that I mentioned in the previous post that you haven't seen. You are right in the fact that Denver is a cool city and has quite a different feeling from pretty much any city in Virginia, although I never thought THAT highly of Denver. It is No NY or LA. I guess it just greatly appeals to some people.
I’ve been to NoVA, Charlottesville, Williamsburg, VA Beach, and Norfolk. I drove through Richmond, but that doesn’t count in my book. I didn’t say I thought that highly of Denver, but I do think it is better than any of the metros in Virginia. Denver metro has almost twice the population of Hampton Roads, and feels like a much bigger city. Hampton Roads isn’t helped here by the fact that it is fragmented into so many cities. There are some nice neighborhoods, but no commercial center equivalent to downtown Denver, and really not even a downtown area that would be expected for a metro of 1.7 million. NoVA gives Denver a better run for its money in my opinion, but I still prefer a Denver, primarily because my favorite part of the DC metro is the District itself.

Then there are the Rockies. There are some pretty areas in the Appalachians, but I find the Rockies more incredible.

Virginia is a good state, and there are several State match-ups it would win for me, but Colorado tops it IMO.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:48 PM

1,049 posts, read 653,022 times
California vs Nevada

Tennessee vs Alaska

Georgia vs Hawaii

New York vs New Mexico

Washington vs Wisconsin

Pennsylvania vs Oklahoma

Virginia vs Colorado

Texas vs Iowa

Ohio vs Kentucky

Florida vs Utah

Arizona vs Maryland

Illinois vs Oregon

New Jersey vs Minnesota
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City