Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 09:18 AM

2,171 posts, read 1,638,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Since the first round is still open, I need to change one vote:

Oregon vs. Idaho — Everything I said about both states is true, but after reaching into my fridge last night to make a snack and pulling out a package of Tillamook Cheddar cheese — and the cheese from that Oregon dairy cooperative is, to put it bluntly, better than any other cheese you can buy in the supermarket dairy case, including Cabot (Vermont and New York State) — I can't not give Oregon at least one rep point.
Just added that vote for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

A lot of these pairings are very weird, OP! Fun, though. Thank you!
Of Course. Just so you know, the pairings are completely RANDOM. A Bracket for the Whole Tournament was basically drawn completely randomly, and I had no say or decision in the pairings other than seeding the Top 4 populated states, meaning that 1 and 2 in population had to be on different sides of the bracket, and 3 and 4 as well. Otherwise it was completely random draws. I have no say in the pairings.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,012 times
Nevada vs Arkansas

Tennessee vs Vermont

Indiana vs Alaska

Louisiana vs Hawaii

Alabama vs New Hampshire

Connecticut vs New Mexico

Wisconsin vs Delaware

Oklahoma vs Nebraska

Colorado vs Rhode Island

Iowa vs Mississippi

Massachusetts vs Wyoming

Missouri vs North Dakota

Kentucky vs West Virginia

South Carolina vs Maine

Utah vs Kansas

Maryland vs South Dakota

Oregon vs Idaho

Minnesota vs Montana

Old 06-27-2020, 12:39 PM

542 posts, read 1,107,109 times
Nevada vs. ARKANSAS - Love Vegas, but Arkansas is a beautiful state.
TENNESSEE vs. Vermont - Vermont looks nice, never been there. Tennessee, mainly East Tennessee, is one of my favorite regions. Love Nashville.
Indiana vs. ALASKA - Never been to either, I'll take Alaska.
LOUISIANA vs. Hawaii - Hawaii looks awesome, I've never been. That being said, I probably can't afford it. Louisiana is a lot of fun, with lots of variety. With New Orleans being one of my Hell Yeahs!
ALABAMA vs. New Hampshire - I've never been to the Granite state. I know they have Mt. Washington, the highest peak in the NE, and windiest place in North America. Alabama, another wildly varying place, from Huntsville, to Mobile. Covered with great grub.
Connecticut vs. NEW MEXICO - New Mexico looks like Mars, and is more interesting to me.
WISCONSIN vs. Delaware - Wisconsin easily. Fun visit. Plus, that's where my parents met.
OKLAHOMA vs. Nebraska - Both their football fan bases are annoying. Going back the National Championship game in 95, the Husker fans said they would not come if they sold alcohol. That really pissed me off. So, Oklahoma.
COLORADO vs. Rhode Island - No need to explain this. I put this one in the, "not even close" category.
IOWA vs. MISSISSIPPI - This one is tough for me, really nice folks in both. This one is a tie for me.
MASSACHUSETTS vs. Wyoming - I want to say 'The Cowboy State", but I've never been. I would love to see the Grand Tetons. I love the city of Boston for visiting, especially in the early fall.
MISSOURI vs. North Dakota - I've never been to the other directional states, it would have to be in the Summer. Missouri has some really cool places.
West Virginia vs. KENTUCKY - The Hatfield and the McCoys. I had to flip the states around for the proper line up of feuders. Both really beautiful states. Kentucky has better cities.
SOUTH CAROLINA vs. Maine - I've got to go with the home state on this one, but would love to get up to Maine soon.
UTAH vs. Kansas - With 5 National parks in Utah, it's going to hard to beat. Really nice.
MARYLAND vs. South Dakota - I really liked Annapolis, really nice area. South Dakota has a pretty hot governor though. I'd like to get up there sometime to see the Badlands.
Oregon vs. IDAHO - Both really scenic states, this one could go either way.
MINNESOTA vs. Montana - Damn, this one is not easy. Both are, in the words of Steve Irwin, "gorgeous". As long as it's not winter, I'll take either one.

Old 06-27-2020, 01:16 PM

Oh My Word, Minnesota has DONE IT!!! It has literally came back and has started to take a strong lead against Montana.

Connecticut vs New Mexico & South Carolina vs Maine are still extremely tight and these fixtures will probably be a good fight and competition until the end. Most of the other fixtures have one state in a strong lead, although still many states behind are not out of reach at all.

We are already up to 22 participants!!! Love this, and it is great! Hopefully we can have a lot more!

Old 06-27-2020, 02:19 PM

841 posts, read 825,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny k View Post
round 1

nevada vs arkansas

tennessee vs vermont

indiana vs alaska

louisiana vs hawaii

alabama vs new hampshire

connecticut vs new mexico

wisconsin vs delaware

oklahoma vs nebraska

colorado vs rhode island

iowa vs mississippi

massachusetts vs wyoming

missouri vs north dakota

kentucky vs west virginia

south carolina vs maine

utah vs kansas

maryland vs south dakota

oregon vs idaho

minnesota vs montana

so there we have it. I am really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Who is excited and ready to vote???
:d

Old 06-27-2020, 03:34 PM

980 posts, read 598,567 times
Deadline: Friday July 3rd at 8:00pm EST, 7:00pm CST, 6:00pm MST, 5:00pm PST

Thanks for including me in this @DannyK! It'd be even better if there was one for every state town by town and all of the winning towns faced off

Nevada vs Arkansas - Prettier, better city

Tennessee vs Vermont - Better climate, culture, etc. New England gang

Indiana vs Alaska - hands down

Louisiana vs Hawaii - ^

Alabama vs New Hampshire - 603! Long live the old man of the mountain!

Connecticut vs New Mexico - My home state, so I might be biased

Wisconsin vs Delaware - I'm apathetic, but I'll try to vote in every fixture. Plus Wisco has more land so more nature I guess (Delaware is just Wilmington & farms, with a couple beaches in the SE).

Oklahoma vs Nebraska - Slightly better I think??

Colorado vs Rhode Island - Colorado is beautiful but extremely isolated. Also no beaches.

Iowa vs Mississippi - I thought about this for a while. At least Mississippi has a coastline.

Massachusetts vs Wyoming - See CO vs RI, except more lopsided because the large city is in the coastal state.

Missouri vs North Dakota - St Louis area carries it; also it's nice that it's warmer

Kentucky vs West Virginia - John Denver made this state famous

South Carolina vs Maine - I love CT and what I like to call its "accessible beauty" but Maine may be the most beautiful state in the nation.

Utah vs Kansas - city & mountains beats corn

Maryland vs South Dakota - bay/ocean & crabs beats Mt Rushmore (although the Black Hills are nice)

Oregon vs Idaho - Beaches.

Minnesota vs Montana - Really tough but less isolated and has a lake coastline.

Old 06-27-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post

Thanks for including me in this @DannyK! It'd be even better if there was one for every state town by town and all of the winning towns faced off
Of Course!!! Thanks for participating! OMG, I don't even know all the towns in all the States, LOL. Also it would be very hard to do town vs town for some of the other states, because unlike CT, many other states have townships, towns, major cities, desert, and even areas where there is literally not a name for. Like even Virginia where I currently live, I can tell you it is not nearly as straight forward as Connecticut, and even less so in many other states. Like imagine doing something like this for Texas?

Old 06-27-2020, 05:01 PM

980 posts, read 598,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Of Course!!! Thanks for participating! OMG, I don't even know all the towns in all the States, LOL. Also it would be very hard to do town vs town for some of the other states, because unlike CT, many other states have townships, towns, major cities, desert, and even areas where there is literally not a name for. Like even Virginia where I currently live, I can tell you it is not nearly as straight forward as Connecticut, and even less so in many other states. Like imagine doing something like this for Texas?
I know it's tough outside New England. I'm kind of joking because of that steep barrier... but maybe you could do CDPs? Counties?

No need though, this is awesome as is

Old 06-28-2020, 02:21 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
I know it's tough outside New England. I'm kind of joking because of that steep barrier... but maybe you could do CDPs? Counties?

No need though, this is awesome as is
Well, someone who has followed this tournament did set up an "NCAA bracket" for the country's 72 largest Metropolitan Statistical Areas:

2020 Metro Madness

And this is apparently the second Big Dance for the nation's biggest cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City