Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 08:17 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times

Advertisements

Hey All

So I hope you are all doing very well!!! Welcome to the very first 50 STATE Tournament!!! This is a Bracket Tournament Game with all the 50 STATES competing against each other, and I hope to see many people participate in this!!! It is like a Bracket with 50 States facing each other, and you all have to vote Round by Round, which state you like better.

Procedures: Let me explain the procedures in more detail. So there are many rounds. Out of 50 states, two will face each other, and you will vote in each fixture regarding which state would be your favorite out of the two. It could be the state you would rather live in, rather vacation in, the state that you just love the most, your choice. Pick the state you would overall like better. After the first round is done, all the states that won will advance to the next round and be drawn to face each other. Whichever State has MORE Votes Wins of course. This procedure will be repeated until the final round when there is only two states left, and one state wins the tournament. If you have not been to certain states, you can either skip some fixtures, guess which state you might prefer based on what you have heard, or take advice from other people on these forums or other friends. Anybody can enter the tournament and vote at anytime. Suppose you see this when Round 2 already starts, you can vote even if you missed Round 1. Jumping in is not only allowed but is encouraged at any time during the tournament. The more voters we have the better. Approximately, every round will last about one week. So we expect this tournament to be done sometime in Late July or Early August.

One other thing to remember is because the USA has 50 States, there will be a number of towns that will start in Round 2 in order to even out the bracket. After Round 2, it will be all the states still left in the tournament though. Seeding has been done according to State population. Therefore the largest populated States will pass on Round 1 and Start in Round 2. Otherwise, the whole Bracket was Drawn Randomly.

By the way the best way to vote is probably to quote my post of fixtures, and either bold or underline the town you vote for, but you can do it any way you feel comfortable with. I will be keeping track of everyone who has been voting. In the future rounds, I will likely PM you in the middle of the week if you have not voted in a certain round yet, but have in a previous round in order to send a reminder and make sure you do not forget to keep voting. Remember you can enter at anytime, and please do vote. We want as many voters as possible. Depending on the circumstances, I could extend the deadline if I feel a need to. Also feel free to make comments on why you voted for a certain State in fixtures if anything is interesting or it was a tough call! We love to hear people's reasoning and opinions! Making comments on other peoples votes is not only allowed but very welcome if you have something to say.

I believe I have said too much in this post, so I will stop here, and if you have any further questions, please feel free to ask me. I request that you ask here on the forums rather than sending me a PM, so everyone can see it.

I will have Round 1 Fixtures posted on here within the next 25 minutes.

I hope you are all excited and ready to vote. WHO IS EXCITED AND READY???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 08:23 PM

Default Round 1

Round 1

Deadline: Friday July 3rd at 8:00pm EST, 7:00pm CST, 6:00pm MST, 5:00pm PST

Remember you are more than welcome to comment on any fixture after voting, and say why if you want. Also making comments on other peoples votes is not only allowed but very welcome if you have something to say.

Note: California, Georgia, North Carolina, New York, Washington, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Texas, Ohio, Michigan, Florida, Arizona, Illinois, and New Jersey will all start in Round 2. Sorry for this if it bothers you, but to keep the Bracket with Even Numbers, we must do this.

Nevada vs Arkansas

Tennessee vs Vermont

Indiana vs Alaska

Louisiana vs Hawaii

Alabama vs New Hampshire

Connecticut vs New Mexico

Wisconsin vs Delaware

Oklahoma vs Nebraska

Colorado vs Rhode Island

Iowa vs Mississippi

Massachusetts vs Wyoming

Missouri vs North Dakota

Kentucky vs West Virginia

South Carolina vs Maine

Utah vs Kansas

Maryland vs South Dakota

Oregon vs Idaho

Minnesota vs Montana

So there we have it. I am really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. WHO IS EXCITED AND READY TO VOTE???

Old 06-25-2020, 08:33 PM

Here are Mine. Also if you are confused, here is a good example on how to vote.

Round 1

Nevada vs Arkansas: Skipping this one as I have not really spent enough time in either.

Tennessee vs Vermont: Memphis, Nashville, Knoxille/Pigeon Forge. Vermont is a nice state, but Pigeon Forge, TN alone is just very scenic with some great mountain rides, Dollywood, and WonderWorks.

Indiana vs Alaska: Alaska is a really cool state and parts of the culture are so different from the mainland. Love the Fairbanks area especially.

Louisiana vs Hawaii: I HATE Hawaii, extremely liberal. Louisiana has New Orleans!!!

Alabama vs New Hampshire: Mount Washington of course!!!

Connecticut vs New Mexico: My Home State!

Wisconsin vs Delaware: Delaware has some really nice areas. Love parts of the coasts, and Middletown is a very pretty town right on Route 199.

Oklahoma vs Nebraska: Haven't spent enough time in either state.

Colorado vs Rhode Island

Iowa vs Mississippi

Massachusetts vs Wyoming: BOSTON!!! Six Flags New England is great as well! Cape Cod is also such a nice place, as well as Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket Islands.

Missouri vs North Dakota

Kentucky vs West Virginia: Close Call, but I really do admire and appreciate the city of Charleston!

South Carolina vs Maine: VERY TOUGH. Maine is beautiful, and the Bar Harbor area is very scenic, but the beaches in Maine are usually too cold to swim in anyway. South Carolina has Myrtle Beach, and WonderWorks. Also love a few of the state parks in SC, specifically Table Rock State Park in Pickens.

Utah vs Kansas

Maryland vs South Dakota

Oregon vs Idaho

Minnesota vs Montana

Old 06-25-2020, 08:37 PM

597 posts, read 448,946 times
Hope I did this right.

Nevada vs Arkansas Rather Live

Tennessee vs Vermont Rather Vacation

Indiana vs Alaska Rather Live

Louisiana vs Hawaii Rather Vacation

Alabama vs New Hampshire Rather Live

Connecticut vs New Mexico Rather Vacation and Live

Wisconsin vs Delaware Rather Vacation

Oklahoma vs Nebraska Rather Live

Colorado vs Rhode Island Rather Live

Iowa vs Mississippi Rather Live

Massachusetts vs Wyoming Rather Vacation and Live

Missouri vs North Dakota Rather Live (St Louis or KC ONLY)

Kentucky vs West Virginia Rather Vacation

South Carolina vs Maine Rather Vacation

Utah vs Kansas Rather Live and Vacation

Maryland vs South Dakota Rather Live and Vacation

Oregon vs Idaho Rather Live

Minnesota vs Montana Rather Vacation

Old 06-25-2020, 08:48 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,626,089 times
Nevada vs Arkansas

Tennessee vs Vermont

Indiana vs Alaska

Louisiana vs Hawaii

Alabama vs New Hampshire

Wisconsin vs Delaware

Oklahoma vs Nebraska

Colorado vs Rhode Island

Iowa vs Mississippi

Massachusetts vs Wyoming

Missouri vs North Dakota

South Carolina vs Maine

Utah vs Kansas

Maryland vs South Dakota

Oregon vs Idaho

Minnesota vs Montana

Old 06-25-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
Hope I did this right.
Yup you are all good!

Old 06-25-2020, 08:58 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Here are my picks:

Nevada vs Arkansas: Nevada has Vegas, Reno and Lake Tahoe--exciting spots with tons to do.
Arkansas is beautiful in the NW part of the state, but the rest of the state I've been to leaves a lot to be desired, really.

Tennessee vs Vermont: Vermont has amazing rustic farms, beautiful hills and majestic mountains. Very small though and too quiet and quaint. Tennessee is my home state, and the options for fun, entertainment and tourism here are abundant. Big cities in Nashville & Memphis, beautiful Great Smokies region and Chattanooga is one of America's best mid-sized cities.

Indiana vs Alaska: Alaska, hands-down. Alaska is stunning and although a large part is cold during most of the year, its geography beats Indiana's. Indiana is mostly flat and farmland or woods. Indianapolis is a nice city, but I'll take Anchorage and that experience over Indiana.

Louisiana vs Hawaii: No contest. Hawaii all the way. Hawaii is beautiful. Louisiana has New Orleans, but not much else.

Alabama vs New Hampshire: New Hampshire here, barely, for me. New Hampshire is a small state but has the coast and majestic mountains up north. Also, the state feels very "vintage" to me and stuck in many parts in a good way, in the 1970s or 80s. Alabama is pretty but has too many back woods areas imo.

Connecticut vs New Mexico: Tough one for me, but Connecticut wins. High quality of life in CT. New Mexico has some stunning geography and I love the west, but doesn't compete with CT.

Wisconsin vs Delaware: Wisconsin here for me. Tons of variety in WI. Milwaukee is a big city and Madison is a great quality of life. Delaware has beautiful beaches, but is overall just too small.

Oklahomavs Nebraska: Oklahoma here. Oklahoma City and Tulsa are decent mid-sized cities and Oklahoma is warmer than Nebraska. Nebraska has Omaha and Lincoln, but largely a farm land state, at least moreso than Oklahoma, barren-wise anyway.

Colorado vs Rhode Island: Colorado rockies and Denver just beat RI overall.

Iowa vs Mississippi: Gotta go with MS here! MS culture beats Iowa's. Plus MS has the coast.

Massachusetts vs Wyoming: Ahh, so tough. Gotta go with MA for Cape Cod/Provincetown and Boston. Wyoming is one of my top 5 most beautiful states though I think.

Missouri vs North Dakota: Hmm. I'll go with MO since they have Kansas City, which I love. Not a fan of St Louis, but KC I'm down with. ND is just too barren although it has some beautiful areas.

Kentucky vs West Virginia: Kentucky edges WV here. Kentucky has Louisville and Lexington, and WV can't compare.

South Carolina vs Maine: I love South Carolina, but Maine is just incredibly pretty.

Utah vs Kansas: Utah all the way. Stunning state!

Maryland vs South Dakota: I've gotta go with Maryland here, due to Chesapeake Bay.

Oregon vs Idaho: Oregon edges Idaho. Its stunning coastline. Idaho is no slouch though either, with beautiful mountains, but no coast.

Minnesota vs Montana: Montana here for me. MT is stunning and wide open spaces, with some of the most gorgeous backdrops in the US. Minnesota has the twin cities, but the rest of the state doesn't do much for me.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:34 PM

1,049 posts, read 653,022 times
Nevada vs Arkansas

Tennessee vs Vermont

Indiana vs Alaska

Louisiana vs Hawaii

Alabama vs New Hampshire

Wisconsin vs Delaware

Oklahoma vs Nebraska

Colorado vs Rhode Island

Iowa vs Mississippi

Massachusetts vs Wyoming

Missouri vs North Dakota

South Carolina vs Maine I will say this one was my toughest call.

Utah vs Kansas

Maryland vs South Dakota

Oregon vs Idaho

Minnesota vs Montana

Old 06-25-2020, 09:56 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,987,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Round 1

Deadline: Friday July 3rd at 8:00pm EST, 7:00pm CST, 6:00pm MST, 5:00pm PST

Remember you are more than welcome to comment on any fixture after voting, and say why if you want. Also making comments on other peoples votes is not only allowed but very welcome if you have something to say.

Note: California, Georgia, North Carolina, New York, Washington, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Texas, Ohio, Michigan, Florida, Arizona, Illinois, and New Jersey will all start in Round 2. Sorry for this if it bothers you, but to keep the Bracket with Even Numbers, we must do this.

Nevada vs Arkansas

Tennessee vs Vermont

Indiana vs Alaska

Louisiana vs Hawaii

Alabama vs New Hampshire

Connecticut vs New Mexico (this one was hard, I do find Connecticut an interesting and underrated state)

Wisconsin vs Delaware

Oklahoma vs Nebraska

Colorado vs Rhode Island

Iowa vs Mississippi

Massachusetts vs Wyoming

Missouri vs North Dakota

South Carolina vs Maine

Utah vs Kansas

Maryland vs South Dakota

Oregon vs Idaho

Minnesota vs Montana

So there we have it. I am really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. WHO IS EXCITED AND READY TO VOTE???
Voted

Old 06-25-2020, 10:00 PM

WOW, some really interesting results so far.

--I am very surprised that Montana is taking an early comfortable lead against Minnesota. Never really heard of anyone talking very highly about Montana before, and always thought Minnesota was a nice state.

--As expected South Carolina vs Maine is very tight at the moment.

--Somewhat surprised with Wyoming getting a few votes against Massachusetts.

--Also a little surprised that Wisconsin has taken an early high lead against Delaware. Wasn't sure which state would be the favorite as they are quite different, but I thought it would be close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City