Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2020, 12:31 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times

Advertisements

California vs Hawaii - lived here for two decades. Even though it has lost a lot of what made it unique (thanks to the cost), it’s still the most diverse (climate and otherwise) state in the country with great food and weather.

New York vs Colorado - the whole state, not just the city. College towns like Utica and legacy cities like Buffalo/Rochester are appealing, and I feel like the isolation of living in the Mountain region would get old.

Texas vs Michigan - family in from here, and I prefer colder weather over hot. Nothing really appeals to me about Texas quite honestly, though I hear you can get some good Vietnamese food in Houston

Florida vs Oregon - beaches are nice, obviously, but I don’t find much appealing outside Miami and Key West. I’d prefer the mountains of Oregon and communities like Bend & Ashland over the sprawling gated communities of Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 04:43 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,549 times
California vs Hawaii

New York vs Colorado

Texas vs Michigan

Florida vs Oregon

Old 07-18-2020, 05:21 AM

79 posts, read 35,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Wait Seriously??? I agree with you about Hollywood, but saying that Hollywood is the only reason why CA gets a lot of love is absolutely wrong, in fact I highly doubt that Hollywood is even the big reason as to why CA is very popular. California has so much in many ways. Almost all the theme parks you mention in Florida also have branches in California as well. Its true, Disneyland is nothing like Disney World, but it is still Disney, and there is also SeaWorld in San Diego and Universal outside of LA. Have you ever been Santa Barbara? It is one of the most beautiful places in the whole country with such a STUNNING coast line. Ventura is also a moderate-upscale pretty town just on the coast of Southern California. What about Los Angeles, the city in general. OMG, it has so much history, nightlife, and scenery. What about San Diego? What about San Francisco and the Bay Area? I myself am NOT a fan of San Francisco specifically but many surrounding areas like San Jose, South San Francisco, Los Altos, Palo Alto, Mountain View, Fremont, Union City, etc are very beautiful and scenic around the bay. What about the dry desert in Palm Springs and Twentynine Palms? I CANNOT believe how one could thing that Hollywood is the only reason that California gets a lot of love.

Umm, really? Upstate New York is extremely beautiful. The Hudson River line especially going up to the Hudson Gorge has stunning views. Have you been to Niagara Falls? Have you seen the great cities of Syracuse and Rochester?
I meant Hollywood DEPICTION of California, not just LA. Hollywood stereotypes places and shapes people’s perspectives of them. It frequently paints Texas as redneck, where people even in Austin or Dallas speak in huge drawls and wear cowboy as they hate minorities and gay people. That’s ridiculous. Hollywood sucks.

I stand by what I said. California cities are disgusting. LA is a dump. Nasty city. San Francisco is also absolutely filthy. California’s only redeeming quality among large cities is San Diego, but it’s also got a huge homeless, methhead culture. The whole state is filled with lunatics who’s started the movement of deciding your gender. Crazy. The level of “tolerance” there and its vilification of anyone who doesn’t believe that ideology makes me hate it there. Why does my daughter have to run track against a bigger, faster, stronger boy just because he chooses to identify as a girl? I’m rambling but the point is, California sucks.

Old 07-18-2020, 06:39 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
California vs Hawaii - Love both, but just remembering how good Hawaii made me feel unlike any other place and all the things I got to do for the first time while I was there. I can't say I was thinking about politics in either state while there, too busy enjoying myself. Hawaii, I loved the food, the people, the music & culture, the warm pacific surf, snorkeling, waterfalls pools, would go back in a heartbeat. So, yeah I'm that guy that keeps voting for it. I love Hawaii.

New York vs Colorado - Again, for memories that stand out more me it's Colorado. Best skiing ever at Telluride, love the Million Dollar Highway, summiting a 14'er in the Rockies, and my best friend lives in Denver. NY is great and a bit underrated in Upstate for what it offers, but Colorado is one of my favorites.

Texas vs Michigan - I've not been to Michigan, but the people and the food in Texas have won me over when visiting.

Florida vs Oregon - Idk, I'm just not that into Florida. I love the Oregon coast, Mt Hood, Crater Lake, and some of the waterfalls that you can hike into in Oregon. I always liked Portland, but I don't like what it's becoming lately. Still Oregon is my preference.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:45 AM

955 posts, read 610,191 times
California vs Hawaii

New York vs Colorado

Texas vs Michigan

Florida vs Oregon

Old 07-18-2020, 09:59 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
California
NY
TX
FL (South FL and Cen FL to be exact).

Old 07-18-2020, 10:32 AM

795 posts, read 482,042 times
California vs Hawaii. Hawaii is gorgeous. Honolulu and Oahu, plus Maui are absolutely gorgeous. San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles and Sacramento are places I hope to see someday, but Hawaii wins this.

New York vs Colorado. New York City was a fun trip for me back in 2012. Albany, Sleepy Hollow and Niagara Falls are on my bucket list. Denver looks lovely and the Colorado scenery is breathtaking. But Upstate New York is gorgeous and closer to home.

Texas vs Michigan. A toss up. I really don't have a favorite between the two. I'll choose warmer weather. San Antonio looks like a fun city to visit. Mackinac Island in Michigan also looks picturesque.

Florida vs Oregon. Florida is one of my favorite states. I have been there more than a handful of times. I love Miami, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale and Key West. I would love to see St. Augustine, St. Petersburg and Tampa. I am not really into Portland, Oregon. I will say Eastern Oregon looks pretty though.

Last edited by CinderFella7; 07-18-2020 at 10:54 AM..

Old 07-18-2020, 10:55 AM

1,846 posts, read 831,483 times
California vs Hawaii - Hawaii has the win, but after some research on California it was a very close call.

New York vs Colorado - Still have to give it to Colorado. The amount of outdoor activity's and weather give it a slight win.

Texas vs Michigan - Yeah, this was the easiest decision of this group.

Florida vs Oregon - can't explain why, but Florida just has something that keeps me wanting to go back.

Old 07-18-2020, 11:27 AM

1,049 posts, read 653,022 times
California: Its influence on the world and its varied scenery beat out a very scenic Hawaii.

Colorado:
A toss up but I am going with Colorado here by a very slim margin. NYC is a world class city and upstate is more scenic and interesting than a lot of people give it credit for, but the Rocky Mountains of Colorado are magical and the Front-Range metros serve as a proper gateway to that scenery.

Michigan This is another toss up The UP is nice and is a future road trip. I probably like that Michigan has snowy winters and more of a 4-season climate than most of Texas (outside of the Panhandle) which is just enough to put it over the edge.

Oregon: Florida has the beach, Disney, some nice scenery if you like caves/springs and such, and a bunch of history. Florida is also a warm-weather lovers paradise and is a melting pot. Oregon though has the Cascades and the Oregon coast. I think the Pacific NW is one of most scenic areas in this country. I would likely like Portland and Eugene over the FL cities so Oregon gets the vote.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:24 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,599,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
... don’t you live in South Dakota? Lmao
Not sure what your point was. SD is underpopulated, unpolluted, and under-taxed - and there's minimal crime. I've lived in 15 different states (including current tournament contenders NY, CA, and TX), and chose SD for retirement for the above reasons. I own a large forested acreage with 2 houses on it that I bought for cash, for a price that that those of you who live in NY, CA, and FL would pay for a grungy teeny condo with no yard in a bad neighborhood. There are two big beautiful rivers near me for boating and fishing. Big city amenities are an easy day trip away when (rarely) desired, and the Black Hills are amazing. Granted, there are way too many republicans here.

We all likes what we likes, and this tournament is just for fun. It's kind of sad to see the huge overpopulated states winning, but population = votes, right?

Go, teams Hawaii and Oregon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City