Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Jersey v. Virginia
New Jersey 27 30.34%
Virginia 62 69.66%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 03:26 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
NOVA/Arlington is way richer than Jersey City. NOVA has more office space than any city not named New York. NOVA has more Fortune 500 companies. NOVA has better public schools. NOVA is safer, cleaner and looks better. NOVA has 2 airports. Metro kills any transportation in Jersey.
NOVA is a region, Jersey City is one city. A true apples to apples comparison would be more fair. Back to the topic at hand, if we're talking statewide, NJ has 16 of the richest 200 towns in the country, 2nd only to California with 23. In comparison, Virginia has 3. Hell Bergen County alone (5) has more than the entire state of Virginia lol So does Essex County (5).

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-below-average

NJ lies in the shadows of the Financial capital of the world. NJ is money central and very few places on the planet beat the large concentration of uber wealth found here. Virginia, while financially strong in its own regard, is not one of them. Also while Metro is great, NJ overall serves a much larger population with its mass transit systems (NJ Transit, PATH, NY Waterway) and has some of the best in the country.

They're both highly ranked states IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 03:58 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
NOVA/Arlington is way richer than Jersey City. NOVA has more office space than any city not named New York. NOVA has more Fortune 500 companies. NOVA has better public schools. NOVA is safer, cleaner and looks better. NOVA has 2 airports. Metro kills any transportation in Jersey.
Woah now, you just compared an entire area of Virginia to one city in Jersey. I am far from a NJ enthusiast, but no doubt that Northern Jersey offers a similar living experience.. I'd venture to guess there are more pockets of wealth in Northern Jersey than in NOVA (despite county vs. county breakdowns). NJ has a lot of small and medium sized townships and cities that offer beautiful housing stock, great downtown/town centers, walkability, and some of the best public schools in the US. Not sure, aside from Arlington/Alexandria, you could say the same about NOVA (quite frankly, not even close).

As for the comparison at large, I'd probably rather live in Virginia.. Beautiful State, great higher education, and largely cheaper. I don't particularly love the way I feel whenever I'm in Jersey. Something about the roads, the crappy state roads and strip malls, the attitudes. There are so many areas that have been developed and developed again, just doesn't feel as well preserved and maintained throughout as some other East Coast areas. And, it's pretty darn busy.

But if money is a complete non-issue, you can probably find me in that Short Hills/Chatham/Summit belt or on the coast in Rumson over anywhere I can think of in VA aside from Old Town Alexandria.

Old 10-20-2020, 05:21 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Do you have a listing of the number of Fortune 500 companies in Virginia and New Jersey?

Jersey City is one municipality within Hudson County within the larger Northern New Jersey region. Metro does have very good transit, but it doesn't reach much of the state. NJT, PATH, and PATCO does reach quite a bit of the state though overall service is very much lopsided towards Northern New Jersey. NJT Train operations have 165 stations in total with all but a handful in New Jersey proper. Where there's interlining with more than one train line or branch serving it, the frequencies can be decently high though it can also be pricey. The really unfortunate thing is that South Jersey doesn't get a bit more than it's pretty infrequent Atlantic City line.

Virginia has 23.

https://patch.com/virginia/mclean/fo...make-2020-list

Jersey has 17.

https://njbiz.com/17-new-jersey-make-2020s-fortune-500/

Old 10-20-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Woah now, you just compared an entire area of Virginia to one city in Jersey. I am far from a NJ enthusiast, but no doubt that Northern Jersey offers a similar living experience.. I'd venture to guess there are more pockets of wealth in Northern Jersey than in NOVA (despite county vs. county breakdowns). NJ has a lot of small and medium sized townships and cities that offer beautiful housing stock, great downtown/town centers, walkability, and some of the best public schools in the US. Not sure, aside from Arlington/Alexandria, you could say the same about NOVA (quite frankly, not even close).

As for the comparison at large, I'd probably rather live in Virginia.. Beautiful State, great higher education, and largely cheaper. I don't particularly love the way I feel whenever I'm in Jersey. Something about the roads, the crappy state roads and strip malls, the attitudes. There are so many areas that have been developed and developed again, just doesn't feel as well preserved and maintained throughout as some other East Coast areas. And, it's pretty darn busy.

But if money is a complete non-issue, you can probably find me in that Short Hills/Chatham/Summit belt or on the coast in Rumson over anywhere I can think of in VA aside from Old Town Alexandria.

Top 25 Counties with the highest median income. 20% of the top 25 are Virginia counties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Old 10-20-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
NOVA is a region, Jersey City is one city. A true apples to apples comparison would be more fair. Back to the topic at hand, if we're talking statewide, NJ has 16 of the richest 200 towns in the country, 2nd only to California with 23. In comparison, Virginia has 3. Hell Bergen County alone (5) has more than the entire state of Virginia lol So does Essex County (5).

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-below-average

NJ lies in the shadows of the Financial capital of the world. NJ is money central and very few places on the planet beat the large concentration of uber wealth found here. Virginia, while financially strong in its own regard, is not one of them. Also while Metro is great, NJ overall serves a much larger population with its mass transit systems (NJ Transit, PATH, NY Waterway) and has some of the best in the country.

They're both highly ranked states IMO.

Virginia has 5 of the top 25 richest counties in the U.S.

Old 10-20-2020, 06:33 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
NOVA has better public schools. NOVA is safer, cleaner and looks better. NOVA has 2 airports. Metro kills any transportation in Jersey.
lmao

Old 10-20-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Top 25 Counties with the highest median income. 20% of the top 25 are Virginia counties.

I literally said despite county vs. county breakdowns, yet that's what you used.

County income comparisons don't mean a heck of a lot to me. What it does do, though, is confirm there are more pockets of blight and lower income areas in Northern Jersey. Nonetheless, as most data/census would suggest, top level wealth is higher in Jersey.

Here is a good visual of the top 50 most affluent zipcodes in the US: https://www.zipdatamaps.com/top-50-w...ted-states.php

Three of the top 50 are in Northern Jersey. None in VA.

Here is another list, with Far Hills being the only town/zip in either Jersey or Virginia: https://moneywise.com/a/the-richest-...des-in-america

Point being, top level wealth in Jersey is amongst the highest in the US. Most certainly more .1% wealth in Jersey than in VA. Now, wealth is more evenly distributed, without the low income and blight in VA. So, if that's what you're trying to say, then I agree.

Isn't it kind of a well-known idea that much of the *extreme* wealth on the East Coast lives around NYC, Boston, and Philly? I think we all know that DC/NOVA is very well off, very well educated, but it seems DC/NOVA is without as much of that saturated, crazy top-end affluence due to the healthy mix of public and private.

Last edited by mwj119; 10-20-2020 at 09:45 PM..

Old 10-20-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
lmao
Yeah, I've never really heard anyone say or seen any third party info to support that Virginia schools are better than their New Jersey counterparts. Outside of maybe Massachusetts, New Jersey may have the strongest K-12 public education in the US, while Virginia is not anywhere very close. Maybe DC's Finest meant public/private Universities?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-compares.html

We can argue what makes a good school system, and test scores shouldn't be the only indicator. But, on the aggregate, I suppose for the exercise of comparing successes between one state and another - assuming similar socioeconomic diversity- test scores are as good as it's going to get.

And, according to Stanford, there are far more NJ public districts near the top in the US as compared to VA. If anything, VA is a bit low compared to the National average when considering wealth distribution and higher educational attainment of NOVA adults.

Last edited by mwj119; 10-20-2020 at 09:51 PM..

Old 10-20-2020, 10:18 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I literally said despite county vs. county breakdowns, yet that's what you used.

County income comparisons don't mean a heck of a lot to me. What it does do, though, is confirm there are more pockets of blight and lower income areas in Northern Jersey. Nonetheless, as most data/census would suggest, top level wealth is higher in Jersey.

Here is a good visual of the top 50 most affluent zipcodes in the US: https://www.zipdatamaps.com/top-50-w...ted-states.php

Three of the top 50 are in Northern Jersey. None in VA.

Here is another list, with Far Hills being the only town/zip in either Jersey or Virginia: https://moneywise.com/a/the-richest-...des-in-america

Point being, top level wealth in Jersey is amongst the highest in the US. Most certainly more .1% wealth in Jersey than in VA. Now, wealth is more evenly distributed, without the low income and blight in VA. So, if that's what you're trying to say, then I agree.

Isn't it kind of a well-known idea that much of the *extreme* wealth on the East Coast lives around NYC, Boston, and Philly? I think we all know that DC/NOVA is very well off, very well educated, but it seems DC/NOVA is without as much of that saturated, crazy top-end affluence due to the healthy mix of public and private.
Not sure what you quantify as "extreme" wealth but Virginia ranks at 9th in concentration of millionaires:

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/...ked/index.html

Old 10-21-2020, 01:14 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Jersey’s main appeal is its proximity to NYC and Philly. Otherwise it’s expensive and dumpy, with a lot of its beach towns being long past their prime and cities being an unsafe venture. Virginia seems to be better in the quality-of-life and natural beauty departments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City