Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Jersey v. Virginia
New Jersey 27 30.34%
Virginia 62 69.66%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 01:51 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
It's not surprising. NJ is an unpopular state and Virginia is definitely one of the top states in the US.
Definitely not a surprise. Jersey's got a tough rep, just the way it is and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Attached Thumbnails
New Jersey v Virginia-img_6511.jpg   New Jersey v Virginia-img_6510.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 06:35 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Definitely not a surprise. Jersey's got a tough rep, just the way it is and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Those are pictures of Nyc?

Old 11-19-2020, 06:56 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Those are pictures of Nyc?
From NJ, yes.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:59 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbrite View Post
Don't know as much about Virginia but lived in a lot of different states, including South Jersey for 4 years. New Jersey has very quaint, beautiful landscapes. You don't pump your own gas there, a very old-fashioned touch. I loved how they had strict emissions laws for cars, felt like the air was cleaner. We do a lot of road/day trips and New Jersey is probably on the top of my list for places to go for a beautiful getaway. I would literally be shaking my head as we drove around seeing breathtaking landscapes all around. To me, it's the perfect place for a weekend vacation at a
Bed & Breakfast. Northern NJ is much busier area, but another nice feature about New Jersey is being centrally located, about an hour from Philadelphia or 2 hours to NYC. If it weren't for the higher cost-of-living I would consider living there.
I firmly believe that Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia have many more areas with "breathtaking" landscapes than New Jersey. In fact, I cannot think of one place in New Jersey where the landscape is even slightly "breathtaking." Of course, the lack of dramatic scenery in New Jersey is largely due to extremely high population density in the state coupled with relatively low-elevation landscape in most areas, most notably in the central and southern parts.

As far as I'm concerned, no area in New Jersey looks like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0395...i6656?hl=en-US

Last edited by Bert_from_back_East; 11-19-2020 at 09:13 PM..

Old 11-20-2020, 07:55 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I firmly believe that Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia have many more areas with "breathtaking" landscapes than New Jersey. In fact, I cannot think of one place in New Jersey where the landscape is even slightly "breathtaking." Of course, the lack of dramatic scenery in New Jersey is largely due to extremely high population density in the state coupled with relatively low-elevation landscape in most areas, most notably in the central and southern parts.

As far as I'm concerned, no area in New Jersey looks like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0395...i6656?hl=en-US
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6242...7i13312!8i6656

Would this qualify? This is near the PA border.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:07 AM

961 posts, read 722,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post

While it is a largely developed state, there are some areas that look just like that. Particularly, the area stretching from the Delaware Water Gap up through Stokes State Forest and High Point State Park. Basically, the northwestern quadrant that borders PA and NY. Here's an example from I-80. I'm sure there are more.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9668...7i16384!8i8192

There's no denying that overall NJ offers less natural beauty than most states, but there are pockets.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:29 PM

4,417 posts, read 5,148,127 times
Virginia has UVA over Rutgers, nicer mountains and no real ghetto/poor cities. That’s where it ends.

New Jersey’s shoreline puts a wallop to Virginia. Virginia has good public schools in Fairfax and Loudon counties, NJ has them all over the state. Virginia has DC/Arlington/Alexandria for an urban experience, NJ has NYC(all by itself dwarfing all that Virginia has)/Philadelphia/Jersey City and Hoboken.

As for wealth. Per Capital is the better measure. Here are each states locals with per capital incomes > $60,000 in no particular order.
DC
1. Vienna
2. Oakton
3. McLean
4. Reston
5. Wolf Trap
6. Tysons
7. Lansdowne
8. Arlington
9. Alexandria
10.Floris
11.Franklin Farm

New Jersey
1. Tenafly
2. Alpine
3. Cresskill
4. Demarest
5. Norwood
6. Rockleigh
7. Old Tappan
8. Woodcliff Lake
9. Upper Saddle River
10. Saddle River
11. Ho Ho Kus
12. Ridgewood
13. Allendale
14. Ramsey
15. Glen Rock
16. Oradell
17. Edgewater
18. Franklin Lakes
19. Wyckoff
(and that’s just Bergen County)

On balance I would give NJ the slight edge.

Old 11-21-2020, 05:48 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
You guys are bringing up median incomes a lot. Thats definitely going against NJ even though you all are trying to justify it as a positive of the state. Nj is incredibly expensive and property taxes are you mortgage 2.0... the wages/incomes in NJ dont outpace VA in COL. Stop bringing that up

Old 11-22-2020, 10:45 AM

330 posts, read 149,246 times
I'd say the NJ suburbs to NY/Philly and the DC suburbs on NOVA are about a tie and it probably comes down to personal preferences. While the taxes are high in NJ, its actually one of the most affordable COL locations in the NY tri-state area. I would say the NJ shore to visit is overall nicer and more easily accessible than the VB area is, though the NJ beach areas are not as livable from an all year round perspective due to slightly colder off season weather and the fact that there isn't an large MSA comparable to Norfolk/VB. Imo Virginia wins handily in higher education and its mountains as NJ, while it does have many areas of scenic beauty particularly along the PA border, it does not have anything that compares to the Blue Ridge Mountains. Richmond is also a much nicer capital city than Trenton. Its a closer comparison than you'd think but Virginia is a much bigger state and probably offers more variability in lifestyle QOL overall. Having said that I could see why some people would prefer to live in NJ and NJ is a great place to live and raise a family.

Old 11-24-2020, 11:15 PM

4,417 posts, read 5,148,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCityIsBetterThanYours View Post
I'd say the NJ suburbs to NY/Philly and the DC suburbs on NOVA are about a tie and it probably comes down to personal preferences. While the taxes are high in NJ, its actually one of the most affordable COL locations in the NY tri-state area. I would say the NJ shore to visit is overall nicer and more easily accessible than the VB area is, though the NJ beach areas are not as livable from an all year round perspective due to slightly colder off season weather and the fact that there isn't an large MSA comparable to Norfolk/VB. Imo Virginia wins handily in higher education and its mountains as NJ, while it does have many areas of scenic beauty particularly along the PA border, it does not have anything that compares to the Blue Ridge Mountains. Richmond is also a much nicer capital city than Trenton. Its a closer comparison than you'd think but Virginia is a much bigger state and probably offers more variability in lifestyle QOL overall. Having said that I could see why some people would prefer to live in NJ and NJ is a great place to live and raise a family.
Agreed except for the higher education part. UVA/William and Mary vs Rutgers/Princeton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City