Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Jersey v. Virginia
New Jersey 27 30.34%
Virginia 62 69.66%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 01:21 PM

61 posts, read 50,466 times

Advertisements

Virginia has much more diversity in terms of landscape and development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 01:30 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
The problem with New Jersey is the failed cities. Camden. Atlantic City. Newark. Passaic. Patterson. Trenton. .... There are a dozen cities with double digit poverty rate and the headline failed cities are some of the worst in the country. It puts a huge burden on the state. The scale of the poor towns in Virginia is much smaller than the enormous failed cities of New Jersey.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:40 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Err.... There are a huge pile of bridge/tunnel rats in North Jersey who are off the charts affluent. Those towns have tippity-top public school systems. All those commuter rail lines to NY Penn plus the PATH.

What's the highest median household income town in NOVA? Vienna? That's $155K. Falls Church #2 at $125k? North Jersey has a bunch in the $175k to $200+k range. Saddle River is #13 at $174k.

NYC is the #1 city in North America. The 'burbs are the most affluent in North America. A bunch of those 'burbs are in New Jersey. You can't decouple North Jersey from NYC and you can't decouple NOVA from DC.

Newark does (did) 23 million passengers as the #2 airport in NYC. It's the same number of passengers as Dulles and DCA combined which are both 11 million and change. Plus you have all those international nonstop flights to anywhere on the planet at JFK that don't exist at IAD.

I have lots of other metrics where I'd rate Virginia over New Jersey but with the metrics you're using, NOVA as a DC suburb vs North Jersey as a Manhattan suburb isn't much of a contest.
Yeah, I made the same argument with DC Finest. I think it fell on deaf ears, but not much to disagree with here.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:53 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
The problem with New Jersey is the failed cities. Camden. Atlantic City. Newark. Passaic. Patterson. Trenton. .... There are a dozen cities with double digit poverty rate and the headline failed cities are some of the worst in the country. It puts a huge burden on the state. The scale of the poor towns in Virginia is much smaller than the enormous failed cities of New Jersey.
Newark in recent times have posted population gains, new construction, higher median income, and lower violent crime rates. There are parts of it that are quite nice and I have friends who live there by choice.

To be honest, I also really like Atlantic City for how kitschy it is, but yea, it can definitely get a sprucing up. Unexpectedly good Vietnamese food there though.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:56 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times
I've spent a lot of time in both states. Virginia by a freaking mile.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:07 PM

56 posts, read 52,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Newark in recent times have posted population gains, new construction, higher median income, and lower violent crime rates. There are parts of it that are quite nice and I have friends who live there by choice.

To be honest, I also really like Atlantic City for how kitschy it is, but yea, it can definitely get a sprucing up. Unexpectedly good Vietnamese food there though.
Basically this, Jersey's urban centers are seeing renewed interest now that the burbs are super expensive to move into. Moreover, poverty rates dont really tell the full story, especially when some of the country's most successful cities have double digit poverty rates. The difference is those cities have been able to attract and retain a tax base. Most of NJ's big cities are huge employment centers with good paying jobs, the problem is that the workers dont live in the cities, they all live in the burbs so that tax base and wealth being generated is being seen in the city. If Newark was able to keep a quarter of its work base, we would not be talking about Newark being a "failed" city. However, the good thing is that Newark has been attracting and retaining wealthier residents thanks to a huge increase in new housing. There was a news article that talked about how 2/3 of the people moving into the new downtown apartments are people who work in the city and the rest are commuters to NYC, so that is huge for the city.

Also, can people stop spelling Paterson with two Ts.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:29 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Yeah. People are just lining up to move to Camden.

Newark has a 28% poverty rate. "Live there by choice" means they can't afford better and be able to commute to work. The proximity to Manhattan means it's not circling the drain like some other NJ cities but it's still a failed city with all the problems of failed cities.

It's a state with lots of socioeconomic segregation just like a lot of other states in the Northeast Corridor. The affluent places use zoning to keep the unwashed masses out. The school systems are funded with local property taxes. As someone who has always lived in Northeast Corridor affluent enclaves with nearby failed cities, it's what I'm used to.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:31 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Err.... There are a huge pile of bridge/tunnel rats in North Jersey who are off the charts affluent. Those towns have tippity-top public school systems. All those commuter rail lines to NY Penn plus the PATH.

What's the highest median household income town in NOVA? Vienna? That's $155K. Falls Church #2 at $125k? North Jersey has a bunch in the $175k to $200+k range. Saddle River is #13 at $174k.

NYC is the #1 city in North America. The 'burbs are the most affluent in North America. A bunch of those 'burbs are in New Jersey. You can't decouple North Jersey from NYC and you can't decouple NOVA from DC.

Newark does (did) 23 million passengers as the #2 airport in NYC. It's the same number of passengers as Dulles and DCA combined which are both 11 million and change. Plus you have all those international nonstop flights to anywhere on the planet at JFK that don't exist at IAD.

I have lots of other metrics where I'd rate Virginia over New Jersey but with the metrics you're using, NOVA as a DC suburb vs North Jersey as a Manhattan suburb isn't much of a contest.

There is a lot of misinformation here but I will take a stab at it.

Newark is a busier airport but Dulles has 24 million passengers annually and DCA has 23. Like I explained to MW, Jersey probably does have more uber wealth than VA but VA has a higher median income by county than Jersey. Uber wealth equates to 1% of the population. Across the board, NOVA is wealthier than the Jersey burbs of NYC and Philly. 3 of the 6 richest counties in America are in VA. Why is that so hard to comprehend.

USA Today article showcasing the Richest towns in America by State.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ate/111984412/

Virginia: Great Falls
•​​​​​​​ Median household income: $228,836
•​​​​​​​ Poverty rate: 2.8%
•​​​​​​​ Median home value: $1,133,100
•​​​​​​​ Population: 15,394

New Jersey: Glen Ridge
•​​​​​​​ Median household income: $213,801
•​​​​​​​ Poverty rate: 3.9%
•​​​​​​​ Median home value: $644,900
•​​​​​​​ Population: 7,573

Old 10-21-2020, 02:35 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
There is a lot of misinformation here but I will take a stab at it.

VA has more Fortune 500 companies than Jersey. Like I explained to MW, Jersey probably does have more uber wealth than VA but VA has a higher median income by county than Jersey. Uber wealth equates to 1% of the population. Across the board, VA is a wealthier state. 3 of the 6 richest counties in America are in VA.

USA Today article showcasing the Richest towns in America by State.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ate/111984412/

Great Falls, VA
Virginia: Great Falls
•​​​​​​​ Median household income: $228,836

•​​​​​​​ Poverty rate: 2.8%

•​​​​​​​ Median home value: $1,133,100

•​​​​​​​ Population: 15,394

Glen Ridge, NJ.

New Jersey: Glen Ridge
•​​​​​​​ Median household income: $213,801

•​​​​​​​ Poverty rate: 3.9% (state: 10.4%)
•​​​​​​​ Median home value: $644,900
•​​​​​​​ Population: 7,573
Glen Ridge isn't close to being the wealthiest town in its own county, let alone the entire state. Comparing Great Falls to Glen Ridge is not an accurate comparison. Comparing Great Falls to Alpine, Saddle River or Short Hills is more apples to apples. NJ has significantly more ultra rich towns as I posted way earlier in this thread. VA has a higher floor and not as many blighted cities. That's basically what it comes down to.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:40 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Glen Ridge isn't close to being the wealthiest town in its own county, let alone the entire state. Comparing Great Falls to Glen Ridge is not an accurate comparison. Comparing Great Falls to Alpine, Saddle River or Short Hills is more apples to apples. NJ has significantly more ultra rich towns as I posted way earlier in this thread. VA has a higher floor and not as many blighted cities. That's basically what it comes down to.

I didn't write the article. The USA Today did. LOL. Show me a link to support your statement. I have provided evidence to support everything I posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City