Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City most associated with Canada`
Vancouver 8 6.78%
Calgary ` 1 0.85%
Toronto 88 74.58%
Montreal 20 16.95%
Ottawa 1 0.85%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 08:55 PM

153 posts, read 101,368 times

Advertisements

I'd say Montreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 09:41 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Toronto = Drake, the Weeknd, Bieber, all the people who performed at Ultra, largest city in Canada, lots of media exposure, etc.
Vancouver = International exposure, the mountains, NBA played a factor. As time passed, the Olympics added to that.
Montreal = outside Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale, not many people know or know minimum/just know it's French. It has more exposure now because of Mural Fest and the connection with Art Basel (which I have connections with as well).

It may be hard for you to believe, but I have 20 years of living experience there so.... plus Americans really don't care about learning about other cities in other countries unless there's some mainstream appeal there.

Also for your formula, no. It's more like 10/10 T.O, 7/10 Van and about 5/10 MTL. compared to when I first moved there when it was 8/10, 6/10 and 3/10.
Mural Fest? Art Basel? LOL. I don't have anything against art and I actually like it a lot, but you really seem to conflate your personal milieu with wider society.

The average person doesn't really care about that stuff and it has little impact on whether the general population knows city X, Y or Z.

Edmonton, Alberta has a huge fringe theatre festival. I would bet that fringe theatre people in Perth, Australia have heard of it. But does that mean that most people in Perth know Edmonton? Nope. It's just a niche thing that basically amounts to a small sub-culture.

And I was just thinking that the MLB Expos left Montreal several years after the NBA Grizzlies left Vancouver. So there is actually a better chance of a bit of residual pro sports renown (which is much more mainstream than art) that is in play for Montreal, when you think of it.

Old 10-24-2020, 01:30 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Maybe this post will be construed as underselling the knowledge and/or thought process of the average American. But, I have a thought here that may actually sorta go against the grain (well, a few).

First off... never discount that, in terms of the average American/overall visitors/awareness, this may be the winner.

This one might not be that widely known, but, if considered a city, would likely outkick coverage, by a big level, and yes it is close to Calgary which benefits Calgary some, but not as much as you would think:

Also, don't underestimate cruising, and the influence it likely has on awareness, consideration, and popularity-even if not discussed. I'm not necessarily suggesting that Halifax or Victoria (or even Quebec City) are more well known than Toronto or Vancouver.. but it's possible the average American might have more awareness of them, based on having been to one, and not the latter. I'd be curious about the Top 10 cities in Canada visited by Americans-I have a strong assumption some of those would be on the list, as would Windsor as a magnet for kids in a certain portion of the Midwest that are in college and looking to party legally a couple years early.

Last thought I have, silly as it may be: don't discount Minneapolis (or Duluth?) and Fargo. American geographical knowledge in general is somewhat poor... so even if they have an awareness said places aren't actually in Canada and they might know Toronto by name because of sports teams.. MPLS still might be the first city that comes to mind for some (yes-honestly), just because it is in America, the people play hockey, have somewhat of a distinctive accent/culture from the rest of the midwest, and simply enough, are just way UP THERE, ya know? Lol

Old 10-24-2020, 01:46 AM

676 posts, read 647,413 times
Surprised not a single vote for Ottawa (I threw in a pity vote). A lot of people seem to think Washington D.C. is famous because of its status as the capital and it garnered a decent number of votes in the US version of this thread, and even tiny Canberra has an elevated status for what it is to Australia.

Unless I suppose Ottawa relative to Canada is <<<< Washington D.C. relative to the USA, but I think they're fairly close in terms of their significance to each other's countries. Ottawa is dwarfed by Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, and D.C. dwarfed by New York, Los Angeles and Chicago.

Old 10-24-2020, 02:11 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
My sister has lived in Vancouver since the 1980s. I did a ton of business in Ottawa back when telecom was a thing. I’ve done some business in Calgary. I’m in New England. The dominant Canadian city here is Montreal. The Bruins have an ancient rivalry with Les Habs. A Canadian license plate usually says “Je Me Souviens” on it. The tourists in Speedos walking down the beach side by each are from Montreal. “Canadian food” is poutine and tourtiere. A hat is a toque. That’s Montreal culture, not Toronto. Toronto is like Charlotte to me. A hub airport where I connect but I’m rarely in the city.

So I think it depends on the zip code you live in. Here, Montreal is the big Canadian city. If you’re on the west coast, you see Vancouver as the big city. A Florida snowbird probably has Ontario plates so Toronto there.

I realize Toronto is the largest city but other than an NBA and MLB team, I don’t think there is anything important about the city to Americans.

Old 10-24-2020, 03:32 AM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
This one might not be that widely known, but, if considered a city, would likely outkick coverage, by a big level, and yes it is close to Calgary which benefits Calgary some, but not as much as you would think
What is this?

Old 10-24-2020, 04:02 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
What is this?
That photo is Banff National Park in the Canadian Rockies, about an hour outside Calgary. It's the crown jewel of their national parks, equivalent to a Yellowstone/Yosemite in the US.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-24-2020 at 04:19 AM..

Old 10-24-2020, 04:10 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver
Alberta

Old 10-24-2020, 04:40 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Maybe this post will be construed as underselling the knowledge and/or thought process of the average American. But, I have a thought here that may actually sorta go against the grain (well, a few).

First off... never discount that, in terms of the average American/overall visitors/awareness, this may be the winner.

This one might not be that widely known, but, if considered a city, would likely outkick coverage, by a big level, and yes it is close to Calgary which benefits Calgary some, but not as much as you would think:

Also, don't underestimate cruising, and the influence it likely has on awareness, consideration, and popularity-even if not discussed. I'm not necessarily suggesting that Halifax or Victoria (or even Quebec City) are more well known than Toronto or Vancouver.. but it's possible the average American might have more awareness of them, based on having been to one, and not the latter. I'd be curious about the Top 10 cities in Canada visited by Americans-I have a strong assumption some of those would be on the list, as would Windsor as a magnet for kids in a certain portion of the Midwest that are in college and looking to party legally a couple years early.

Last thought I have, silly as it may be: don't discount Minneapolis (or Duluth?) and Fargo. American geographical knowledge in general is somewhat poor... so even if they have an awareness said places aren't actually in Canada and they might know Toronto by name because of sports teams.. MPLS still might be the first city that comes to mind for some (yes-honestly), just because it is in America, the people play hockey, have somewhat of a distinctive accent/culture from the rest of the midwest, and simply enough, are just way UP THERE, ya know? Lol
Found this article - Most Popular destinations for Americans in Canada.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...americans.html

1 - Vancouver
2 - Montreal
3 - Toronto
4 - Banff, AB
5 - Quebec City
6 - Whistler, BC
7 - Victoria/Vancouver Island, BC
8 - Halifax, NS
9 - Lake Louise, AB
10 - Niagara Falls, ON

Calgary was # 11, meaning perhaps many just skip the city, use the airport, and head straight to the parks in the Canadian Rockies. I'm wondering if business travel is included which I would think would put both Toronto and Calgary's numbers up.

Interesting to see Montreal edging out Toronto, but it's more easily accessible by road from Northeastern US cities. Vancouver benefits from being right over the border on the I-5 corridor with Seattle being very close, paired with being the big embarkation port for Alaska cruises. Assuming cruising must be what puts Halifax on the radar. Nova Scotia is nautically close to Boston but by land it's a long 10 hour drive. Richmond, VA is actually a shorter drive.

No Windsor, ON on this list. Montreal is also a draw for the age 18-20 age bracket going up for the bars and nightlife. Perhaps many of those visiting from Michigan might bypass Windsor and go a few hours further up the 401 to Toronto. Windsor doesn't seem to be all that interesting on its own merits as city, but a place for a good photo op of the Detroit skyline.

It's too bad Niagara Falls couldn't have evolved into a bi-national park. The NFNY side looks left behind, kinda sad, even a few blocks from the parks. NF Ontario looks horribly tacky and honky tonk, a bit of a deterrent from the natural attraction of Niagara Falls itself.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-24-2020 at 05:41 AM..

Old 10-24-2020, 06:04 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver
Calgary

in that order....
Nah. Vancouver definitely comes before Montreal these days. It's where most of Canadas media comes from. Montreal is definitely 3rd tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City