Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City most associated with Canada`
Vancouver 8 6.78%
Calgary ` 1 0.85%
Toronto 88 74.58%
Montreal 20 16.95%
Ottawa 1 0.85%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 07:18 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post

We should have a separate poll, Roger Doucet (O Canada) v Robert Merrill (Star Spangled Banner) v Ronan Tynan or Kate Smith (God Bless America)...lol.
Hate the Bruins but I loved their anthem singer René Rancourt. (Ironically a Franco-American of Québécois origins.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 07:24 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
Rangers/Canadiens/Bruins/Blackhawks...always great games in the 70’s, before turning over to the Flyers and at the end of the decade, Islanders (still pissed the refs stepped in early and did not allow Clark Gilles to finish and beat Dave Schultz to a pulp—though I enjoyed when Philly beat the crap out of the Russian team during an exhibition series). Toronto, with Lanny McDonald and Sabres (with that great French Connection line) were also solid. Great memories.

PS...Ken Dryden is an alum of my Alma mater—Cornell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hate the Bruins but I loved their anthem singer René Rancourt. (Ironically a Franco-American of Québécois origins.)

Old 10-25-2020, 09:50 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Toronto much moreso than Montreal. There's a reason Toronto has been to referred to as Hollywood North for the last 20 or so years. Cheaper production costs and government incentives being two of the main attractions.
I know. But my point was merely that the average viewer will have no clue where the scenes are being filmed.

Besides, this thread, to my understanding, isn’t about which city is most well-known, but simply which comes to mind the most when Americans hear “Canada.” The answer, IMO, is overwhelmingly Toronto. Doesn’t mean more Americans know MORE about Toronto than the others. Americans don’t know much about Canadian cities, period.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Rangers/Canadiens/Bruins/Blackhawks...always great games in the 70’s, before turning over to the Flyers and at the end of the decade, Islanders (still pissed the refs stepped in early and did not allow Clark Gilles to finish and beat Dave Schultz to a pulp—though I enjoyed when Philly beat the crap out of the Russian team during an exhibition series). Toronto, with Lanny McDonald and Sabres (with that great French Connection line) were also solid. Great memories.

PS...Ken Dryden is an alum of my Alma mater—Cornell.
Those were the days.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:04 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
This is the first time I have ever heard this.

In the early days of pro hockey Montreal had the Canadiens (Habs) and the Maroons. The Maroons were the anglophone club and the Canadiens (named for French speakers, the original "Canadians") were the francophone club.

This lasted for several decades and there was a heated rivalry.

During the Great Depression pro hockey fell on hard times and the Maroons collapsed. The Canadiens managed to survive and became Montreal's only team.

AFAIK Anglo-Montrealers switched over their allegeance to the Habs relatively quickly. If there was ever a period where they cheered for the Bruins it was extremely short-lived as all of the historical evidence points to all of Montreal including the anglophones being behind the Habs as early as the 1940s and 1950s.

Many anglo legends on the Habs go back to that era: Dick Irvin, Elmer Lach, Doug Harvey, Bill Durnan...

Yes, there are people in Quebec and Montreal who are Bruins fans (every society has its bad apples, what can I say?) but I've never observed they are significantly more prevalent among the anglophone population. There are Bruins fans among the francophones too.
I guess that’s just an urban legend then.

I guess it’s just the Habs beating the Bruins for 16 straight postseason series

Old 10-25-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I guess that’s just an urban legend then.

I guess it’s just the Habs beating the Bruins for 16 straight postseason series
LOL.

It's definitely possible (Anglo-Montrealers making the Bruins their team) but it would have been very short-lived.

Anglo-Montrealers also quite unanimously hate the Toronto Maple Leafs, who during the Original Six era were the de facto "national" team of English-speaking Canadians.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:29 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,328,392 times
The poll doesn't include the most appropriate Canadian city of them all:

Windsor -- just across the river (and border) from Big Bad Detroit, with all its blemishes, all its tragedy, and all its glory.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:06 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,779 times
Well I think it's obvious that Toronto takes the case by a long shot. It's not only because it is the largest and most important city in the country {Sao Paulo is larger and more important than Rio but I bet most people would say Rio when asked the question about Brazil} but also because Toronto is very much "downtown Canada".

The number 2 choice has much more to do with geography. Most in Asia and the Western US would say Vancouver but overwhelming most in Europe and the Eastern US would say Montreal.

Despite being the capitol, very few would say Ottawa and nobody would say Calgary.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:42 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Ok, perhaps I am not a typical American, but I really like Ottawa, though it has only really been a stopover for me on the way to Algonquin and other points north and west.

I think it is in a really nice setting on the river and I would love to visit in the winter. I have really been getting into nordic skating and would love to skate the Rideau canal.
You are not typical

This isn't so much though about liking Ottawa but knowing it. That Tucker guy on Fox couldn't even pronounce it correctly. I don't watch Fox, but the meme on FB got a bit of play in Canada.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
I suppose, though the impact of this in terms of the city's visiblity in the U.S. would be...?

I don't think people in Iowa watching a movie or show on Netflix, or a Hallmark Christmas movie are looking up the filming locations.

And of course basically zero of these productions are actually set in Vancouver.

So 99.99% of the people watching just assume it's set in some random place in the U.S. They even pepper the (Vancouver) streetscapes with random American flags, just to make sure.

Last winter I was skating on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa and stumbled onto a movie set with a stage and all sorts of American flags and election signs. Turns out they were filming the movie "Fatman" starring Mel Gibson.
It really depends. Most people don't look up movie locations. Series that get a fan base are a bit different.

Once Upon a Time filmed in Steveston, BC gets fans doing tours.

When X-Files was popular you got the same thing. I'm sure there are others.

Years ago, Hollywood practically hid the fact that a film or TV show was filmed here. You would have to watch the credits and see perhaps " BC casting director " or some other bit of info that gave it away.

Today is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City