Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 02:44 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Funny that you're worked up in this post about a "made-up generalization" about San Diego yet spewing one about Phoenix that is completely off base. So here's your demographic data.

Average Age Phoenix: 34.4
Average Age San Diego: 35.4

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...-san-diego-ca/

While were at it, Arizona's average age is below the national average as well. Ranking 36th youngest. The Northeast and Florida is where you're going to find the oldest populations, not Arizona.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_median_age
There were 6 assertions I made in my general summary comparing demographics:[list]
  1. SD has more young people (adults) than Phoenix <correct>
  2. SD has more young people (adults) than Arizona <correct>
  3. SD has less seniors than Phoenix <partially correct- region yes, city no>
  4. SD has less seniors than Arizona <correct>
  5. SD has less families than Arizona <correct>
  6. SD has less families than Phoenix <correct>
~5.5 out of 6 assertions correct fits the bill of my statement..."in general seniors and families are attracted to Phoenix & AZ [more than SD]".

Age 20-29
18% San Diego
16% San Diego MSA
15% Phoenix
14% Phoenix MSA
14% Arizona

Ages 60+
24% Arizona
22% Phoenix MSA
20% San Diego MSA
19% San Diego
16% Phoenix

Ages 19 & under
28% Phoenix
26% Phoenix MSA
25% Arizona
24% San Diego MSA
23% San Diego

I'll also point out that marital status "married" for ages 15+ in San Diego is 47% vs. 44% in Phoenix. I wouldn't call that difference "extreme". Also not sure how much Phoenix's disproportionate # of 10-19 cohort changes that comparison. Obviously ages 15-19 aren't getting married in huge numbers.

Last edited by newgensandiego; 11-20-2020 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
Par for the course with newsgensandiego. In an effort to boost her city and self-worth, she tries to denigrate any other city and will defend SD irrationally. She takes it personally and cannot be objective. Really sad.
1) I reviewed their data, which ultimately supported my claims (see post)
2) It's sad that your instinct was to attack me instead of reviewing the data.
3) You've now made 3 or 4 incorrect assumptions about me (I'm not a woman). But honestly, I don't get why these labels even matter to you. You focus so much on my identify, but can't formulate a half-decent rebuttal to anything. It's disturbing.

Old 11-20-2020, 03:12 PM

747 posts, read 497,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
1) I reviewed their data, which ultimately supported my claims (see post)
2) It's sad that your instinct was to attack me instead of reviewing the data.
3) You've now made 3 or 4 incorrect assumptions about me (I'm not a woman). But honestly, I don't get why these labels even matter to you. You focus so much on my identify, but can't formulate a half-decent rebuttal to anything. It's disturbing.
How have I attacked you? What part did I say was untrue? No matter what, when San Diego gets pitted against another city, you get automatically defensive and take it as a personal insult for some very weird reason if someone expresses an idea you disagree with. It’s very concerning actually. It’s like you derive self-esteem from where you live, which is shameful.

My assumptions were based on historical context, your posting leanings, and what I’ve personally witnessed in threads and lurking for the better part of 3 years. The reason you can’t examine rebuttals as half-decent is because you have homer blinders on and just default to being defensive and biased. It’s an embarrassment.

This is not a slight at all to women, I just thought you were one because I believe someone else referred to you as “she” so I just got mixed up, my apologies. You also tend to get very emotional about SD quite often. My mistake, I’m not sexist.

Old 11-20-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
How have I attacked you? What part did I say was untrue?
I guess in a post-truth world, "irrational" = using data to prove your point. You never have any rebuttals, just calling people unemployed or irrational. Sad.

Quote:
No matter what, when San Diego gets pitted against another city, you get automatically defensive and take it as a personal insult for some very weird reason if someone expresses an idea you disagree with. It’s very concerning actually. It’s like you derive self-esteem from where you live, which is shameful.
I have a problem when someone generalizes factually-incorrect information, which was the case.

Quote:
My assumptions were based on historical context, your posting leanings, and what I’ve personally witnessed in threads and lurking for the better part of 3 years. The reason you can’t examine rebuttals as half-decide is because you have homer blinders on and just default to being defensive.
You've missed the mark so many times, why bother?

Quote:
This is not a slight at all to women, I just thought you were one because you get emotional quite often. I also believe someone else referred to you as “she” so I just got mixed up, my apologies. I’m not sexist.

Old 11-20-2020, 03:35 PM

747 posts, read 497,255 times
Quote:
I guess in a post-truth world, "irrational" = using data to prove your point. You never have any rebuttals, just calling people unemployed or irrational. Sad.

I have a problem when someone generalizes factually-incorrect information, which was the case.

You've missed the mark so many times, why bother?

And all you do is call people sad when they say something negative about San Diego. I don’t have anything personally against you, heck I don’t even know who you are in real life. But when I say anything negative about SD, you take it as if I’ve insulted you. This leads me to believe your self-worth is derived from where you live. You don’t see anything wrong with that? Very strange. You were up in arms about Tampa vs San Diego because you counted it as a personal affront when I claimed Tampa was close in urbanity. Never mind that I don’t live in Tampa nor am I from there and have no attachment to the city. You just got very emotional and began insulting me. This is your MO. You do that in most threads regarding SD. Why?

Old 11-23-2020, 03:11 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times
I see, so what you meant to say is Phoenix and San Diego have fairly similar age demographics with Phoenix maybe having noticeably more kids (19 and under). Forgive me for mis-understanding this when you said "Phoenix is generally where retirees go" I like facts too but lets not oversell a 2% or 3% difference.

Here's the story behind this data.
  1. Phoenix and San Diego have nearly identical rates % of 20-29 YOs, within 2% of each other at the city and MSA levels.
  2. Phoenix and San Diego MSAs also have nearly identical rates of 60+ YOs, also within 2% of each other.
  3. Phoenix City and San Diego city limits have nearly identical levels of 60+ YOs within 3% of each other.
  4. Phoenix City does have a higher percentage of kids, 5% more people under the age of 19
Quote:

Age 20-29
18% San Diego
16% San Diego MSA
15% Phoenix
14% Phoenix MSA
14% Arizona

Ages 60+
24% Arizona
22% Phoenix MSA
20% San Diego MSA
19% San Diego
16% Phoenix

Ages 19 & under
28% Phoenix
26% Phoenix MSA
25% Arizona
24% San Diego MSA
23% San Diego

I'll also point out that marital status "married" for ages 15+ in San Diego is 47% vs. 44% in Phoenix. I wouldn't call that difference "extreme". Also not sure how much Phoenix's disproportionate # of 10-19 cohort changes that comparison. Obviously ages 15-19 aren't getting married in huge numbers.

Last edited by locolife; 11-23-2020 at 03:19 PM..

Old 11-25-2020, 09:49 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times
Quote:
There were 6 assertions I made in my general summary comparing demographics:[list]
  1. SD has more young people (adults) than Phoenix <correct>
  2. SD has more young people (adults) than Arizona <correct>
  3. SD has less seniors than Phoenix <partially correct- region yes, city no>
  4. SD has less seniors than Arizona <correct>
  5. SD has less families than Arizona <correct>
  6. SD has less families than Phoenix <correct>
~5.5 out of 6 assertions correct fits the bill of my statement..."in general seniors and families are attracted to Phoenix & AZ [more than SD]".

Age 20-29
18% San Diego
16% San Diego MSA
15% Phoenix
14% Phoenix MSA
14% Arizona

Ages 60+
24% Arizona
22% Phoenix MSA
20% San Diego MSA
19% San Diego
16% Phoenix

Ages 19 & under
28% Phoenix
26% Phoenix MSA
25% Arizona
24% San Diego MSA
23% San Diego

San Diego is a very married city but they also have a huge percentage of people who are engaged but not married also.

The nightlife in San Diego is mainly a nightlife for those who are married or engaged. They don't have a tremendous single non-married non-engaged population like Old Town Scottsdale or Tempe.

The 20-29 age group in San Diego County mainly resides in the city of San Diego because both UCSD and SDSU are in San Diego.

20-29 age group in Maricopa County is heavily concentrated in Tempe and Gilbert because that is where two large campuses are, not in the city of Phoenix proper.

Phoenix has a very, very high birth rate in the city itself. The highest percentages of seniors, singles and empty-nesters are in the suburbs.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 10,142,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
San Diego is a very married city but they also have a huge percentage of people who are engaged but not married also.

The nightlife in San Diego is mainly a nightlife for those who are married or engaged. They don't have a tremendous single non-married non-engaged population like Old Town Scottsdale or Tempe.

The 20-29 age group in San Diego County mainly resides in the city of San Diego because both UCSD and SDSU are in San Diego.

20-29 age group in Maricopa County is heavily concentrated in Tempe and Gilbert because that is where two large campuses are, not in the city of Phoenix proper.

Phoenix has a very, very high birth rate in the city itself. The highest percentages of seniors, singles and empty-nesters are in the suburbs.
Did you forget about the GCU campus in Phoenix?

Old 12-01-2020, 09:40 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Oh, that's right! Phoenix leaders forgot to plan for the future.

Don't act like you're the water conservation or sustainability messenger. I'm 100% positive that Phoenix leaders and residents don't need lectures from outsiders when it comes to limited world views on water conservation and are already fully aware of any water issues in the West. Arizona residents are conserving more water now than they did 40 years ago when the population was at least half of what it is now. Phoenix is better positioned to deal with climate change than a lot of other cities. It is always hot and dry here and we know how to plan for a future where it may be hotter and drier.
How about you learn how to respond to questions without being condescending or coming off like a defensive, insufferable homer for once? While it's great that the Valley of the Sun has made strides in water conservation, long-term sustainability for a fast-growing city in a harsh desert environment is a question worth asking, whether you or other Phoenicians like it or not.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:54 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

Ummm what? I see people say some ridiculous things about San Diego but never something like this. I lived there in my 20's, in Pacific Beach a few blocks from the main strip. That's so far from the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City