Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the top northeastern U.S. suburb?
Westchester County (Bronxville, Scarsdale, Rye, Larchmont) 17 12.69%
Main Line (Gladwyne, Villanova, Merion Station, Bryn Mawr, Haverford) 22 16.42%
Western Boston Suburbs (Newton, Wellesley, Dover, Weston) 25 18.66%
DC's MD Suburbs (Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Potomac) 11 8.21%
DC's VA Suburbs (McLean, Great Falls, Falls Church, Tyson's) 10 7.46%
North Shore, Long Island (Great Neck, Oyster Bay, Old Westbury) 10 7.46%
Gold Coast, CT (Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan) 39 29.10%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 01:15 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I think there is an argument to be made for county median income, town median income, and zip code median income. Loudon and Falls Church are going to have FAR higher median incomes than e.g. Cook County in IL (which the city of Chicago falls in, as does Kenilworth, one of the wealthiest towns in NA).

I think the point many are making - and might just be a fundamental difference in the areas - is that in Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, NYC, nobody compares affluence at the county level. It is simply not a useful way of gauging income levels, as it cover way too diverse a spectrum of towns. Instead, town/village/city level income levels are generally what we use.

I agree with with DC's Finest said- zip code income is too finite a sample, with very limited population within most zip codes.

To me, I think county level median income is too broad- If you have 10 towns/cities with median incomes of $125k-$190k- the median will be higher than a county with 10 towns/cities with median incomes that span from $50k - $230k.

So, I point to city/town metrics. I don't know why anyone would use anything else other than this to compare suburbs.
These are why metrics can be hard to measure, because each state aligns government in different ways.

For example in Pennsylvania, townships, not towns are the main source of government. It can be very confusing if you are not from Pennsylvania, but for example Lower Merion Township, includes the towns of Gladwyne, Villanova, Ardmore, Haverford, Narberth, Penn Valley, etc.

Therefore census data is gathered under the township name of Lower Merion. And people from Lower Merion will refer to it as such, and then designate what individual town they are from within the township.

But using your example. Lower Merion Township, Pennsylvania is comprised of approximately 55,000 people and it is the 5th wealthiest borough of over 50,000 people in the nation.

You might recognize the name. This is where Kobe Bryant grew up and where Patti Labelle currently lives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_...,_Pennsylvania
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 01:20 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
This.
Southern or not, DC and it's suburbs are in the thread a part of the conversation because it is a part of the Northeast Corridor. Chicago is not, it's 600+ miles away from any of them. So while the outlier between them in taking an in depth look is DMV, on the surface they are still part of one big megalopolis/mega region with NYC/Philly/Boston. No amount of posts in this thread can remove DC, MD nor NOVA out of the NE corridor of cities/metro areas.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:25 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It’s not a trick. All we said is it’s a different type of money/make up/history. Northeastern posters are bending over backwards trying to assuage DC egos whilst conveying a subtle reality.

That doesn’t mean it’s not currently actively out performing the others metros-we all know it is.
I get it. I didn't think Bostonians engage in these types of debates, though. Boston seems the least braggadocios of the Big 3 Northeastern cities. That's one of the reasons why I was so pleasantly surprised by it.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There are no tricks being played nor anyone falling for any of them. There are either facts or false statements being laid out, and an elongated back and forth has been going on for 9 pages with Boston and Philly posters, and a Chicago poster who wants to compare it to the NE. The posters being replied to like to use words like "0" or "DC has none of", and that's where the fact checking has to come in.
What does DC have more of than the cities in the Northeast? What's are DC's strengths?

Old 12-03-2020, 01:46 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You situation is similar to mine (though I think you're a bigger boater) - I have a small Whaler I keep at no-frills dock ~ 5 mintute walk from my condo (winterized and stored in the same spot), and in the winter we ski Sugarbush in VT (and sometimes Sunday River in Maine). The downside here is that we don't get to breeze up North after work on Fridays. But at least in our current position, we can duck out between 1-2 on Friday and she can access email in the car and even boot up the laptop and connect to a hotspot if necessary. Still, that 3 hour drive with no traffic easily becomes 4 by about 2pm on Friday.

The problem for us is that we work downtown (and other employers in our fields are mostly downtown as well). We have an incredible commute right now (she's under 10 minutes, I'm about 15 door to door) and that's worth the trade off with the longer drive North in the winter. Especially since we love being in town on nights/weekends when we're not skiing or on the water. Newburyport and Portsmouth are great towns, but the commute downtown would be brutal (I've done the 50+ mile commute before and never again). If we were able to get jobs along 128 or 495, I think we'd absolutely consider either of them. I know people commuting from Berwick, York, and Kittery ME to 495 and 128 jobs. It's an easier commute than my South Coast - Boston drive was. Very doable.

But I'd absolutely take North Shore over Metro West any day of the week and twice on Sundays. And I 100% agree about skiing - until you hit the Rockies, Boston is far and away the best city for access to "real" skiing. I knew people when I was living in DC who got by going to VA and PA for their fix, but the best of the best in those areas (Blue Knob) is a Wachusett-type mountain (1,000 or so ft. of vertical, 100 or so skiable acres) that's 3+ hours from DC (nearly 4 from Philly). Just really not worth it. And while DC and CT have access to the VT mountains (esp. Southern VT), the traffic leaving metro NYC is far, far, far worse than leaving Boston.
Yeah. I’m aware that you have in-laws or almost in-laws in the Mad River Valley and ski Sugarbush. I also picked up that you moved to Maverick Square, more or less. The 20’ minimum in a no frills slip in Padanaram is $2,660. I recall a Baker’s Beach reference. Is your Whaler in East Boston or Westport?

I’d mention the Boston South Shore suburbs but I ski and that’s an impossible drive on a Friday. Hingham is pretty nice. Commuter rail, commuter boat, and close to the Red Line.

I’ve actually skied the mighty Blue Mountain. Cable industry. Night skiing with a few Comcast people. It’s about like Wachusett.

The Hartford burbs are about the same drive time as Boston. Killington is 2h 45 to the big dig or West Hartford. Those suburbs aren’t part of this discussion but they probably should be. Unfortunately, Hartford is not a city with the attractions of the cities in this thread.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:59 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What does DC have more of than the cities in the Northeast? What's are DC's strengths?
Let's look at the thread OP, and the options being compared instead of veering off topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigolights View Post
Which, in your opinion, is the best northeastern U.S. suburb (including Washington, D.C.)? How would you rank them based on the following criteria?

Criteria

1. Housing- Arguable
2. Nature/parks- DC/Boston
3. Public transportation- NY
4. Schools- Boston
5. COL- Philly
6. Amenities- NY
7. Restaurants/cafes/bakeries- Arguable
8. Shopping- NY/Philly
9. Economy/jobs- DC
10. Future outlook- DC

Old 12-03-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Let's look at the thread OP, and the options being compared instead of veering off topic:
It was already off topic; at one point they were talking about how tough and how italian those cities were.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:26 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Quote:
It was already off topic; at one point they were talking about how tough and how italian those cities were.
Hahaha

Old 12-03-2020, 02:32 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
I get it. I didn't think Bostonians engage in these types of debates, though. Boston seems the least braggadocios of the Big 3 Northeastern cities. That's one of the reasons why I was so pleasantly surprised by it.
This is the first I’ve heard this! but I guess I’m flattered. Everyone always tells us how braggadocio is arrogant and obnoxious we are.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:39 PM

23 posts, read 25,625 times
Quote:
"1. Housing- Arguable
2. Nature/parks- DC/Boston
3. Public transportation- NY
4. Schools- Boston
5. COL- Philly
6. Amenities- NY
7. Restaurants/cafes/bakeries- Arguable
8. Shopping- NY/Philly
9. Economy/jobs- DC
10. Future outlook- DC"

I think we can agree on #9 and #10 for sure: the DC suburbs probably have the best future outlook and economy/jobs (cf. Amazon's HQ2 in Arlington).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City